Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & E England Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!

Long time no post for me as our wait for decent winter weather continues, especially for the eastern half of the county. Went up on the NY Moors today and saw a few flakes before the rest of a shower was graupel.

Temp here currently 2.2c with a dew of 0.4c. Shower which just passed overhead was rain/sleet.

Looks like showers continuing especially for the first half of tonight, T850s actually rising a touch around 10pm as the heaviest showers go over, before dropping away again after midnight. The chance of some showers after that point becomes more confined to areas nearer the coast, NY Moors again being the favoured spot for some potential accumulations.

hirlamuk-16-9-0.png?01-16hirlamuk-16-18-0.png?01-1hirlamuk-1-10-0.png?01-16hirlamuk-1-17-0.png?01-16

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

First wintry precipitation of the day (graupel) at Sandhutton near Thirsk.

Although this is a transient northerly, I get a strong impression that had it occurred 20 years ago, we'd have been seeing snow at all levels (albeit probably struggling to settle near sea level).  A good comparison point is New Year's Eve 1994, when up in Tyneside I saw frequent showers of wet snow in the afternoon, immediately behind the frontal system that introduced the northerlies.  Much of East Yorkshire then saw significant accumulations on New Year's Day 1995. 

The Arctic isn't as anomalously warm as it was a week ago, but the lack of sea ice around Svalbard is probably causing significantly greater modification to the air mass.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 2

Posted

Northerly wind set in by this afternoon after a dull wet start, 5C at about 4pm, have to agree at this time of year I would have expected several degrees colder from a northerly. Saw shower clouds coming in off the sea this afternoon while driving home, Just had a a very short sharp shower of rain. Doesn't look like we will get any snow this time here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold , snow . Hot sunny
5 minutes ago, Jeremy Shockey said:

snowing up at Blakey Ridge i hear

Very high up tho , gonna have a ride out to goathland in morning see if there's out there , poor winter so far :sorry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Yes just back from Blakey Ridge at 400m where there is a 1cm covering. Nice to see but it shows how bad this winter is when you have to drive to 1200ft to find a small covering in the depths of winter. :(

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, vizzy2004 said:

Yes just back from Blakey Ridge at 400m where there is a 1cm covering. Nice to see but it shows how bad this winter is when you have to drive to 1200ft to find a small covering in the depths of winter. :(

Well done for making the trip anyway Vizzy  ( nothing on the Wolds yet , might head up to Garrowby Hill later )  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
12 hours ago, Jeremy Shockey said:

Well done for making the trip anyway Vizzy  ( nothing on the Wolds yet , might head up to Garrowby Hill later )  

Well luckily there's a pub at 400m so even if its not that snowy its worth the trip for a beer :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Blimey local forecast has  a snow flake for us on Thursday. If I see it I'll pickle it. I suspect downgrades that normally happen will turn this snow flake into a rain drop.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)
1 hour ago, The PIT said:

Blimey local forecast has  a snow flake for us on Thursday. If I see it I'll pickle it. I suspect downgrades that normally happen will turn this snow flake into a rain drop.

Haha!  Yes I noticed that as well this morning. How sad that were getting thrilled by a single flake graphic :p  sums up the winter so far!

I hope it doesnt downgrade but the trends this winter so far havent been good have they. If all did go well though im sure Sheffield could do OK with some heavy snow showers from the NW and then we can hope for a disturbance or two as well. Would be nice to see snow cover :)

Edited by Winter Cold

Posted

Yep Sheffield could do well from this wind direction but I can't see very much hitting York or further east. Maybe some sleety cold rain...

However, I would love to be proved wrong.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Looking at the warning areas that have been issued for Thursday Friday I would say that Yorkshire doesn't look favourable. Looks like it will be the far northwest that does well. Can see places like Liverpool and Manchester area getting a good dumping. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Looking mostly dry to be honest so probably the only white stuff we will see is the ground frost perhaps maybe an air frost. Main feature will be the wind on Wednesday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

Looking like just a few snow showers for our part of the world unless any disturbances pop up.  

Entirely possible though given how unstable and cold the flow is likely to be at least up until Friday / early Saturday.  Will certainly feel bitter in the wind! :cold:

Edited by Kentish Snowman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

lets hope we all have something to chat about in here in the coming days. 

Fingers crossed the meto warning is wrong as at the moment it looks like a lot of us will miss out this time. 

We can only hope :)

Posted
17 hours ago, terrier said:

Looking at the warning areas that have been issued for Thursday Friday I would say that Yorkshire doesn't look favourable. Looks like it will be the far northwest that does well. Can see places like Liverpool and Manchester area getting a good dumping. 

I'm no expert but surely with the strength of the wind some areas could get some snow with showers been pushed more inland Leeds been an example. 

Edited by Love Snow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Too early for how far the showers penetrate.Chances are they will.Also area of sleet and snow moving south on Friday

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_fax72s.gif

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_fax84s.gif

• Like 2

Posted

Just watched weatherman Dave on Itv's This Morning. He does the " natural way of forecasting "  apparently Yorkshire is in for a "double whammy" with lots of snow this coming cold spell from NE and from the east ..He has a 90% accuracy rating ...havent a clue if he knows what hes on about but Il take it :rofl:

• Like 4

Posted
4 hours ago, tayzi said:

Just watched weatherman Dave on Itv's This Morning. He does the " natural way of forecasting "  apparently Yorkshire is in for a "double whammy" with lots of snow this coming cold spell from NE and from the east ..He has a 90% accuracy rating ...havent a clue if he knows what hes on about but Il take it :rofl:

lol lets hope  so!! but I gotta travel to lincoln on thursday morning ... :p 

Posted

My daughter is at Salford Uni...should come home Friday while Sunday...I go over Woodhead for her...doubtful this week...:cold:

Posted
6 minutes ago, inghams85 said:

The low moving south down the east coast for Friday night looks very very interest for Yorkshire. Could be an hammering for us from that

Its another inland/altitude event again at the moment. The mild sector in the North Sea is looking too close now:

T850.pngdewpoints.png

Still, there's 72 hours or so for it to move back east. Just as long as it doesn't move west or grow further.

Posted
8 minutes ago, reef said:

Its another inland/altitude event again at the moment. The mild sector in the North Sea is looking too close now:

T850.pngdewpoints.png

Still, there's 72 hours or so for it to move back east. Just as long as it doesn't move west or grow further.

I agree for you in East Yorkshire, but for South and West Yorkshire the parameters would see snow down to low levels

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Interesting to see this feature appearing rather suddenly, and only 3 days away (although that is still enough time for this feature to be dropped entirely!).

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1