Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

Looking like steadily getting wetter and windier from about 9pm for my neck of the woods. While the temperatures may be between 3-5, strong winds from the NE will make it feel bitter and the heavy rain will make it feel miserable..... :yahoo:Cold and Damp without actually being "cold" - awesome..... just the sort of weather I love...... (no not really).

Looking further ahead though, it does look like once the system has passed, we are back to dry, settled, temperatures struggling to make it much past freezing again....

But..... sigh..... we have the coldest overnight period of the year and in a lot of cases - the coldest November temperature, rain arrives and somehow we still manage to not get snow......

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, mardatha said:

Steady heavy proper snow up here :yahoo::yahoo:

....and where abouts in the Borders do I need to take a run in the car to find heavy proper snow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

I can see very light snow showers over south Caithness / Sutherland from here... nowt showing on the radar but they're there. @Northernlights would see better.  Just dry, almost flat calm and damn cold in Moray still.

Posted

No snow here HC but currently light rain and -1c Things are going to get very slippery for a while

1 hour ago, Hairy Celt said:

I can see very light snow showers over south Caithness / Sutherland from here... nowt showing on the radar but they're there. @Northernlights would see better.  Just dry, almost flat calm and damn cold in Moray still.

• Like 1

Posted

Despite the station not reporting anything particularly horrible - it's very gusty and the heavy rain is heavy and not falling vertically....

Posted

Freezing fog early this morning as I left for Durham, temps got down to -9c at 6:30am over the snowfields of the M74 :cold: 

Freezing rain when I arrived into the north east of england which was a new one to drive in, rain instantly froze to the bottom and side of the windscreen (and presumably car but I couldnt see that bit...)

Peeing it down here now so feels like home , should probably move over to the English topics but naaaa:ball-santa-emoji:

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 3

Posted

The model thread is going up and down like a fiddlers elbow at the moment.   Tonight it seems like winter is back on..  Can any of my learned chums explain as to why the models are really struggling at the moment and also is there a "tipping point" when the PV is unlikely to form again, or can it reform at any point throughout winter ?  Thanks in advance.. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
17 minutes ago, Gogoslo said:

The model thread is going up and down like a fiddlers elbow at the moment.   Tonight it seems like winter is back on..  Can any of my learned chums explain as to why the models are really struggling at the moment and also is there a "tipping point" when the PV is unlikely to form again, or can it reform at any point throughout winter ?  Thanks in advance.. 

I'n not a 'learned' person but hey ho....

I think there are quite a few conflicting background signals at present.

A lot of those factors are favourable to cold weather (hence the optimism) but we live in the UK so even with the deck of cards favourably stacked (for now) we need a slice of luck to get some decent widespread cold and snowy weather.

The PV usually strengthens strongly through late Autumn and is very weak compared with normal. The PV can strengthen later on and going by hints from Ian F, Glosea is forecasting a winter of two halfs with the PV gaining strength through January.

That is just a prediction but i wouldn't back against the met office, if you did that every year i feel you'd lose way more than you'd win. 

The PV will weaken properly once the arctic warms up which is obviously after the winter months.

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

There's certainly a lot of rain coming for us tonight @Andrew Simon Jones ! 

We had to pop over to Coldingham for something this evening and the wind wasn't too bad but the rain was very heavy. On the way back home though - it's windy and very heavy rain in places. Many roads have surface water on them - and some roads now have wet leaves covering them. Surprisingly just outside the village on the way from Duns - while the temperature is 0.5 degrees warmer than Greenlaw, there was huge blobs of sleet hitting the windscreen - I'm not sure what the elevation of the hill is (I'm going to check Google though) but it seems like the possibility of sleet at lower levels is higher than was expected - because everything I have heard is 500+ metres for snow.....

Elevation finder places the hill ( 55.72861,-2.44510 ) at about 224m

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, Northernlights said:

Very icy out there tonight and currently 1.5c. Aurora visble across the Firth too. 

and here http://www.shetland.org/60n/webcams/cliff-cam-3

In other news - not Scotland related - Japan Earthquake 7.3 Fukishma residents warned to evacuate because of Tsunami threat.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/at00oh0fnm#executive

shetland-cliffcam-3.png

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, clappy80 said:

Hi everyone, delurking for winter coming up although I've been in and out during the year.

We've just had a massive rumble of thunder here in the Borders near Peebles.

I've been keeping an eye open on the tracking map because I did see on Twitter that Lightning is expected between now and 9am anywhere across Northern England, Lothian and Borders.

I've picked up several strikes that probably are around Peebles on the stand alone detector, but the triangulated network has not picked anything up yet.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

No AB from Buckie. 2 hours ago there was a very light southerly breeze - there's now a raw northerly with spits and spots of rain coming in.

Posted

The odd shower has been feeding in from the east this evening so we've had a wee covering of snow. Currently -0.5c with rain forecast through the night but we'll see what happens, ground is frozen solid after a few days below zero

Posted
20 minutes ago, mardatha said:

Wind picked up quite suddenly here and pelting sleety rain

Yes we have that in Greenlaw..... the only issue with this type of Weather is that the rain gauge can't record horizontal rain.....

(well that - and the fact it's impossible to keep the  house at a reasonably warm temperature, it always feels like there are numerous windows open)

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, CatchMyDrift said:

It's proper west coast weather :D 

I've been wondering if we have secretly been relocated to Orkney or thereabouts.......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

had to go out to check but very small wet grains falling..its the first snizzle of the season 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Yuk, just yuk. 2 degrees according to car during hubby station drop. Cold and wet.

• Like 1