Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Husband got wrapped up like a yeti to take the ash oot. 20 paces up the back garden and he came back dripping. On the swear factor I'd say today is a 10 :rofl: The cat and I sniggered.

Edited by mardatha
  • Like 8

Posted
1 minute ago, CatchMyDrift said:

5C, windy and it's been raining since yesterday evening. I don't find weather like this yuk, must be a west coast thing but it's quite reassuring hearing the wind in the trees and rain tickling the windows...if only this house had a velux :) 

I always thought that folk from the west were mad!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
Just now, CatchMyDrift said:

5C, windy and it's been raining since yesterday evening. I don't find weather like this yuk, must be a west coast thing but it's quite reassuring hearing the wind in the trees and rain tickling the windows...if only this house had a velux :) 

If I could watch it from my house I'd agree.  But with the thaw and heavy rain, my work site is like the Somme this morning.  Miserable.

• Like 4

Posted

Miserable this morning! 3c and lashing down. Fun to listen to from under the duvet but not so clever now that I'm up! Already looking forward to some frost and blue sky later this week!

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 3

Posted

Dog refused to go out this morning unless I went out first. Not good before I've had a cup of tea.

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Tonight and tomorrow?

IMG_1411.GIFIMG_1412.GIF

That cloud forecast is epic, I look at that chart most days and it's hardly ever as clear as that :D 

Yes! That will do nicely :)

Posted

Pish, pure pish. 0.5c and heavy sleety/wet snow nonsense. Those clear skies look great Catch, maybe some Aurora again, Some of the pics from last night are just glorious

https://mobile.twitter.com/VisitScotland/status/800781104701575169

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

What a difference a day makes as the say!   3.8c wet and windy.

(Looks as if someone has burnt the breakfast toast on the webcam this morning!)

aircam_pic.php.jpe

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
2 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

if only this house had a velux

They are great for checking the rain/sleet/snow content of anything falling from the sky, we have them in the upstairs bathrooms. Even better when you get up in the morning, half awake and bleary eyed, and notice it's half covered in snow.

No chance of that here, not nearly as wet as your photos above but as expected temp rose yesterday evening to around 4C and the rain rolled in. It was still raining as I left the house this morning, and temp still stuck around 4C, but seems to have eased now.

Looks like a cool down again around here with overnight frosts arriving again and max temps of  maybe 3C on Thu & Fri.

• Like 1

Posted

We've just been over to Haddington - the back roads are bad but the A1 is worse.

Posted
11 minutes ago, mardatha said:

We've just been over to Haddington - the back roads are bad but the A1 is worse.

How's the swearing going?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Sun's out in Glasgow! Looks like it'll be this way for the rest of the week. Some nice crisp forecast temps too. Meanwhile in the model thread they think winter is cancelled.

image.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Well that was a nice mild spell, frost back tonight!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
59 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

If we get a few hard frosts after all this rain it'll be a frozen wasteland round here. At least it'll be dry, to paraphrase the BBC.

It will indeed! We got sweet effé here, dry as a bone!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

So....

Apparently we are relatively watertight when the rain comes a more southerly direction. But when it comes from a Northerly direction, and the rain is more horizontal than vertical..... we aren't so watertight.

What a horrible horrible night. still had priorites right - piled towels up around the BT phone socket to stop any water from affecting the Broadband connection :D

Annoyingly - BT are currently installing cabinets at the Exchange for our ETA of Fibre being available in June 2017, and I just know that this is going to cause a setback.....

As for the Model Thread..... It's astounding how over the course of 12 hours yesterday it went from "winter is on the charts, it's finally happening" to "that's it winter is over, it's not happening, see you next year"

Might give it a miss for a few days.......

Edited by Andrew Simon Jones
  • Like 1

Posted

Our new double glazing is draughtier than the old single windows, and howls like the Phantom Piper in a wind... and they leak like a sieve in a south west wind. :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
1 hour ago, Andrew Simon Jones said:

So....

Apparently we are relatively watertight when the rain comes a more southerly direction. But when it comes from a Northerly direction, and the rain is more horizontal than vertical..... we aren't so watertight.

What a horrible horrible night. still had priorites right - piled towels up around the BT phone socket to stop any water from affecting the Broadband connection :D

Annoyingly - BT are currently installing cabinets at the Exchange for our ETA of Fibre being available in June 2017, and I just know that this is going to cause a setback.....

As for the Model Thread..... It's astounding how over the course of 12 hours yesterday it went from "winter is on the charts, it's finally happening" to "that's it winter is over, it's not happening, see you next year"

Might give it a miss for a few days.......

oh it would appear its back on again.... the boy crewecold cracks me up... I love snow but this boy seems like he will do himself in if the models continue to flip flop along 

• Like 3

Posted

If I'm honest @edo there are a few people I pay attention to in the thread - and I tend to scan through the pages now looking for their posts. Fergie obviously being the main one. And Gavs videos tend to be an unbiased look at the models.

• Like 2

Posted
17 minutes ago, edo said:

oh it would appear its back on again.... the boy crewecold cracks me up... I love snow but this boy seems like he will do himself in if the models continue to flip flop along 

I think CC is one of the fascists in the 'serious' discussion area.  Total fruit bat, no sense of reason or decency sometimes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Some of them just can't get their heads round the concept of volatility. Anything beyond 5 days about, at the very max, is very likely to change on the next model run at the moment, as it has been doing. Then, even if we do manage to get some cold our way, it's not guaranteed to give snow, so cue more potential gnashing of teeth.

• Like 1

Posted

Before I launch into another Twitter rant - I just want to confirm with you guys -

The wind and rain we have just had - that wasn't Angus was it? Because things like this:

are just making things confusing - as far as I have seen tonight - the river levels are falling - so are we expecting them to rise again - or is this a case of people getting wires crossed again?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
3 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

I think CC is one of the fascists in the 'serious' discussion area.  Total fruit bat, no sense of reason or decency sometimes.

3 hours ago, Andrew Simon Jones said:

If I'm honest @edo there are a few people I pay attention to in the thread - and I tend to scan through the pages now looking for their posts. Fergie obviously being the main one. And Gavs videos tend to be an unbiased look at the models.

I should use the mute button but I get a perverse satisfaction reading some of them....I agree some great posters ...I like Nick Sussex who always lays it out without over complicated jargon...and helps to explain things with overmarking charts...many good posters though including our own ravelin and lorenzo...although lorenzo losing me a bit these days as his knowledge beyond my brains capacity...and of course many fruitcakes of posters 

ahhhh I did not know such a thing as a serious discussion area existed...sounds as though that would be best avoided...unless I need to feel better about myself :pardon:

• Like 1

Posted

Visiting the 'serious' discussion area is like picking a scab for me.  I'm old enough to know better than to try reasoning with strangers by random text sequences.

• Like 8