Cold?
IGNORED

Model Moans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, frosty autumns and snowy winters
10 minutes ago, pegg24 said:

Daily express at it again 

Screenshot_20170103-202708.png

Well thats jinx the next cold run - if they had put 'UK about to have a heat wave....hottest Feb on record' ...... then we would be in with a chance of snow.

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, Ukwoody said:

Oh Blimey, Must be right then. I'd better get the snow blower out and fill the freezer ;-)

:D

We could just ditch the model output thread and base our decisions on when the express, mail and star all converge on their imminent predictions of snowmageddon?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
18 minutes ago, pegg24 said:

Daily express at it again 

Screenshot_20170103-202708.png

Well to be picky they screwed that up.snow on high ground only Manchester south

:rofl:

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Will the toys be out of the prams by tomorrow morning? That is the question.:santa-emoji:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
3 hours ago, wrightc23 said:

Funnily enough I've just visited the Daily Express website and the main article splashed across the homepage is 'Britain on HEAVY SNOW ALERT: Polar vortex to plunge UK into WORST January FREEZE in years'. Which model are they using? It can't be any I've seen before.

The James Madden book of fairy tales. Forworded  by that other cretin Nathan Rao.

Posted

More 'shortwave drama' coming up...Never could stand The Archers!:oops:

Posted
Just now, bluearmy said:

It's going this time nick - all the ens runs can't be wrong day after day ....... can they?

It going has been modelled at day ten for what seems like weeks! It crxpped all over my Christmas and meant I had to shelve my husky ride, the mountains look the worst I've seen since in January since I've been down here. I'm close to losing it big time if that wretched slug doesn't do one soon. As you can tell I'm just slightly irritated! lol

• Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

This time is different - this time we have all the ens suites in broad agreement and they have counted down from 15 days. We are now at day 10 on this cycle and we haven't fallen off yet. Previous examples thus far have not had Canadian ens with us.

I'll hold you to that! lol I really hope we get a stress free route to something more interesting, the bottle bank think I'm running  a bar!

• Like 6

Posted

They don't make "cold shots" like they used to. Back in 2004 a polar maritime NW flow gave yours truly a White Christmas. Fast forward to the winter of 2015/16. Sure snow fell at elevation, down at lower levels we ended up with nearly 2 inches of rain falling with flooding and water logging all over. Another so called cold shot delivered a cm of greyish slushy muck..was like porridge. Nah...keep the cold shots thanks. Not a fan of cold rain at all...sorry.

Posted

Starting to get that sinking feeling already about this winter.

Another that could of delivered, but hasn't (yet)

Frustrating to see yet again a few hundred miles to our East they are in a deep freeze, even Greece/Turkey/Cyprus etc....but as usual it never makes it here despite charts hinting at it every so often. Usually at the famous "Day 10" mark which never gets any shorter.

Better than the usual rain/wind/zonal dross for sure, but equally as gutting when you see what they are getting on the continent.

There cannot be a worse place on Earth at our latitude for snow, than the UK.

Someone turn off the jet stream just for a couple of weeks....please......transient cool shots from the N/NW just won't cut it I am afraid. Especially darn sarf. But I fear this is the only option on the table this winter. Sigh. 

**Google searches "Homes in Canada"**

Edited by Southender
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

When we get to the end of this month all our hopes will probably be resting on feb to save our winter . Our hopes resting on feb to save us has been a common thing in recent yrs,only thing is recent febs have failed aswell.

• Like 1

Posted

Signs of a better easterly farther down the line, I see...Shades of '76 methinks!:rofl:

Posted

When I see posts in the model thread describing transient cold shots (which will probably bring wet weather away from elevation) as "better than nothing"...then we've got problems. That and the chasing of Jam tomorrow charts at Day 10..a regular feature of past failed winters and it becomes more and more difficult to keep any sense of optimism about this season.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow

After all the hype and hope ,this winter has turned into a greek tragedy :wallbash:

• Like 5

Posted
4 minutes ago, sundog said:

After all the hype and hope ,this winter has turned into a greek tragedy :wallbash:

With maybe an air of a Brian Rix farce?:santa-emoji:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
59 minutes ago, Carl46Wrexham said:

When I see posts in the model thread describing transient cold shots (which will probably bring wet weather away from elevation) as "better than nothing"...then we've got problems. That and the chasing of Jam tomorrow charts at Day 10..a regular feature of past failed winters and it becomes more and more difficult to keep any sense of optimism about this season.

Voice of Reason right there.. Couldn't have put the following better....''Model thread describing transient cold shots (which will probably bring wet weather away from elevation) as "better than nothing"...then we've got problems''

I tend to find the ''Its only December'' and ''Its only January'' posts equally cringeworthy. One would think we live in some parallel universe where the snow will come if we keep waiting. Where have these people been since November 2013

Edited by Ben Lewis
  • Like 3

Posted

Aaaargh.Slug of a high and strong jet streak leaving The US seaboard.F**k off already.Nearly every b***ard winter.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!

With reference to a post I read above but now cannot locate to quote - yes I'd describe being led up the garden path as a potent Easterly being advertised by all models at +96 suddenly dissolving in the space of an afternoon.

There's been nothing approaching that this winter - instead a vast amount of confusing okey-cokeys with scenarios mainly in the 7-10 day range. I did have a hunch after the slew of runs around the time of 'that 6z' a few days ago we'd get at least a cold albeit heavily modified end result - but for the majority anything from the NW is about as interesting as the Emmerdale Omnibus at your Mother-In-Law's on a Sunday afternoon.

It's always folly to write off the rest of winter with two-thirds left, but my gut tells me we've already experienced our 'no cigar' moment, and without a rapid change of fortune it's going to be scraps from here. Of course many experts may disagree which is why I'm not in the MOD...

• Like 2