Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

I always wonder what it's like in places like Norway in winter. If I'd be absolutely freezing or if it's a different kind of cold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
57 minutes ago, mardatha said:

I always wonder what it's like in places like Norway in winter. If I'd be absolutely freezing or if it's a different kind of cold.

If you were to go there now, you'd probably freeze if you didn't take lots of clothes. Same as Norwegian people - or the ones that stay warm anyway, The others might freeze. :blink2::cc_confused:

Just been out in the garden - there's a blackbird with a pickaxe trying to dig up his lunch and a wren with crampons on the hazel looking for something rather determinedly (and noisily). The cats are by the stove.

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, mardatha said:

Having spent a couple of winters in Canada I think there are two main factors. The first is that you need to have proper clothing of the type you don’t really need (regularly) for winters in Scotland unless you’re heading out to the hills. The second is what was mentioned earlier: humidity. We often endure damp, windy conditions with a high relative humidity. In more continental climes temperatures are lower but the air is drier so it doesn’t feel as uncomfortable (unless there is a high windchill). So speaking to a colleague who is from Ottawa where mean winter temperatures are on average 13c lower than here they still complain of the damp Scottish cold!

Not like that today though, sunny and +3c with light winds here.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

A lovely day here, clearing skies and nice and crisp with a temp hovering around 2c. All change tomorrow and then we'll be back to the mist, murk, rain and horrible mild, clammy days. It was a joy to have a proper winter for a week, hope it comes back soon!

Edited by mistyqueen
  • Like 2

Another cold day, a difficult drive to Huntly early this morning roads were covered and not been gritted... a few more snow showers have blown in today and as the sun starts to set it is snowing once again.  will be getting the shorts and vest back out next week and might just turn the heating off.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Delete.

Edited by Mr Frost
Delete.

Posted
19 minutes ago, More Snow said:

Another cold day, a difficult drive to Huntly early this morning roads were covered and not been gritted... a few more snow showers have blown in today and as the sun starts to set it is snowing once again.  will be getting the shorts and vest back out next week and might just turn the heating off.

difficult even with winter tyres? sounds good! :crazy:

Edited by Hairy Celt

no winter tyres as had a 4x4 lined up but that just fell thru so will be looking over xmas period for another one or winters will be getting purchased..

Posted
1 minute ago, More Snow said:

no winter tyres as had a 4x4 lined up but that just fell thru so will be looking over xmas period for another one or winters will be getting purchased..

even if you get a 4x4, still make sure it's got good tyres or you'll still slide about like a Clio. Either winter tyres or (a poor second best and often more expensive) good off road tyres.  There'll be a garage local to you that should know their stuff. :good:

Posted
20 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

even if you get a 4x4, still make sure it's got good tyres or you'll still slide about like a Clio. 

And just to highlight your point! This happened in Currie this week! Fella slid right down his driveway and into the Water of Leith!

image.jpg

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/transport/car-falls-into-stream-as-icy-conditions-grip-edinburgh-1-4636468

Posted
5 minutes ago, 101_North said:

And just to highlight your point! This happened in Currie this week! Fella slid right down his driveway and into the Water of Leith!

image.jpg

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/transport/car-falls-into-stream-as-icy-conditions-grip-edinburgh-1-4636468

Despite the PRIVATE NO FISHING sign. Now I know Range rover owners are illiterate as well as.... <stop right there HC>

Posted
4 minutes ago, More Snow said:

I cant make my mind up if its to be a Shogun or a Disco. any advice??

Both very capable. More choice of the Discos, lots around. Plenty of abused examples of both too so unless you have a local, knowledgeable friend, maybe go to a dealer with a good rep. I could mention one or two to avoid in Inverness and one or two worth visiting in Inverness but I shouldn't advertise...

Spose if it's only going to be used when the going gets rough, it doesn't have to be a low mileage, one careful lady owner job,,,,

Posted
6 hours ago, mardatha said:

Having lived in Canada for 10 years I can tell you in the Rockies it’s a drycold so I’m not exaggerating when I say it can be minus 5 and suny and you can sit outside and feel warm. Minus 42oC on the other hand. That’s just stupid cold . Only experienced that a few times thankfully 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
1 hour ago, Hairy Celt said:

Spose if it's only going to be used when the going gets rough, it doesn't have to be a low mileage, one careful lady owner job,,,,

Yes agree Hairy, Its also fail safe in a tractor to and good fun. Have popped a few miles to the local shop many a time when theres been a good dumping.

I would go with a Discovery moresnow only as I've driven one before in snow/mud and they are pretty hardy. Failing that an old land Rover or maybe a quad bike?

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Currently just below freezing here.

8/9 days with snow cover. Not a bad start to winter! :cold:

• Like 8

Posted

Dropped to -2c just now but with a predicted temp of +6c by 8am!! I'm tempted grab a can or 2 and sit outside watching the ice melt :D

• Like 1

Posted
48 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Dropped to -2c just now but with a predicted temp of +6c by 8am!! I'm tempted grab a can or 2 and sit outside watching the ice melt :D

sounds like a wake... :drunk:

Posted
1 hour ago, 101_North said:

How true to your roots. :wink: 

79590310-E296-4FCB-B8F9-26087E047398.thumb.jpeg.e7b60d7b77b8e9e436ad8383fe0c5487.jpeg

Posted

Feels a lot less cold here but the snow is still lying outside.. not poking my nose out there at this unearhtly time of the mornign though. Staying in besdie the teapot!

Posted

Lookat the statre of my typing lol - can you tell I don't do mornings well? :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!

Got zero snowfall from our recent cold spell in my area so decided to head up Conic Hill, Balmaha for a Winter walk on Friday afternoon.

Glorious day and conditions!

B27CAC7D-BD4C-40CA-875D-EC67032E9DAB.jpeg

B98C1787-113D-43FF-B1BE-0CBF659B9AC7.jpeg

8A779F94-2371-4B89-8B7B-7D8F630D890B.jpeg

519A4677-A8B6-4CBA-BF7E-4802E36D2737.jpeg

1AA47601-A55E-42C9-BCC6-48D40859FAA2.jpeg

• Like 9