Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - cold spell to end Autumn

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

The most important thing is getting the heights over Greenland which clearly is the case on the GFS which is great to see.

Then it becomes a case of cold northerly v mild south westerly but such is the strength of the Greenland high the northerly is forced southwards. Great run for northern areas this.

UKMO will likely go down a very similar path, if the pressure over Spain were to be weaker then forecast it really would be exciting but lets see.

Will post a lot more later.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

Extremely.

How the preceding pattern plays out will dictate whether we see freezing temps and snow or whether we're cracking the BBQ out and up in the teens Celsius. It's that finely balanced. 

Yep, not sure following the mean charts will be of much use in a binary situation like that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

I'd argue it's not "finely balanced" and that cold is almost odds on. The models are fluctuating all over the place with shortwaves and such but the one, strong signal that remains every single time is for Northern Blocking around the Greenland area. 

We can argue shortwaves/split flows until we're blue in the face but whatever the models do with them seems to always end up in the same place, heights over Greenland and cold air moving South across the UK.

12z would be a major snowfall event at 204 with a channel low feature running Eastwards.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
Just now, frosty ground said:

Yep, not sure following the mean charts will be of much use in a binary situation like that.

Yeah

Ensemble means will be next to useless. The ops will lead the way here with the progression of getting enough heights to Greenland. Buckle in for the ride because it will be a bumpy one!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

After the last few years we can't grumble 'IF' we end up in this kind of situation.

gfsnh-0-198.thumb.png.baa23569648783625851d7d46356c168.png

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Cold air flooding Southwards

5a1d8db82ff5c_Coldair.thumb.png.fafdc217b977c8f1cbea7351ed3351cf.png

Confidence of a Greenland high I'd put at 70% given the strong signal for one now. Confidence is actually higher in the extended than it is in the medium with regards to how we get there.

Id say its still a 50/50 that we get from +96 to +144 in a way that benefits long term. It wouldnt take much of a change from the 12z for us to be looking at southerly winds with the high sat over France. If in 3 days time we are seeing the charts like the 12z leads to after this time then we can start looking forward to cold and possible snow.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

Yeah

Ensemble means will be next to useless. The ops will lead the way here with the progression of getting enough heights to Greenland. Buckle in for the ride because it will be a bumpy one!

Exactly what I was saying earlier, ensembles will give absolutely no idea of the way forward in a situation like this, they're lower resolution and will struggle even more to resolve the energy and shortwave locations. 

Ops leading the way and we're off to a cracking start with the 12z. ECM will hopefully back the GFS tonight and then we're 3/3. UKMO 144 would lead to the same heights building to the North.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

I'd argue it's not "finely balanced" and that cold is almost odds on. The models are fluctuating all over the place with shortwaves and such but the one, strong signal that remains every single time is for Northern Blocking around the Greenland area. 

We can argue shortwaves/split flows until we're blue in the face but whatever the models do with them seems to always end up in the same place, heights over Greenland and cold air moving South across the UK.

12z would be a major snowfall event at 204 with a channel low feature running Eastwards.

Trust me if you think any GH setup isn't finely balanced, you are very wrong! We've been stung hundreds of times by this before, we could equally end up with a drab ECM like solution.

No offence to you of course I just disagree, especially with how this GH is coming about sypnotically it's fraught with danger.

Posted
1 minute ago, Daniel Smith said:

Exactly what I was saying earlier, ensembles will give absolutely no idea of the way forward in a situation like this, they're lower resolution and will struggle even more to resolve the energy and shortwave locations. 

Ops leading the way and we're off to a cracking start with the 12z. ECM will hopefully back the GFS tonight and then we're 3/3. UKMO 144 would lead to the same heights building to the North.

The UKMO is actually more finely balance than you think. Heights are slightly lower over Greenland than they are on the GFS at day 6.

Posted

Great stuff from the GFS so far with the cold air undercuttng the precip.

The UKMO has also improved so after a traumatic morning sighs of relief all round however it’s not a done deal and still a few hurdles to overcome.

I’d prefer to see the block centered a bit further east but that’s a way out so could change.

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, Weathizard said:

Trust me if you think any GH setup isn't finely balanced, you are very wrong! We've been stung hundreds of times by this before, we could equally end up with a drab ECM like solution.

No offence to you of course I just disagree, especially with how this GH is coming about sypnotically it's fraught with danger.

The 12z GFS is a prime example of what I was saying yesterday...look at the 3 wave pincer attack on the trop vortex owing to enough heights around the Greenland locale. If this fails, we're struggling longer term as it's a longer route back to cold.

Posted

UKMO and GFS 12z looking good to me just those pesky positive geopotential heights to our S are nibbling at me a tad. That ridge being further east not even by a great deal would help dig troughing further S.

Edited by Daniel*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

GFSOPEU12_222_1.png

That is an impressively unstable northerly there. A huge pool of colder air to our north this time, if the ECM is on board with the retrogression there is some serious potential further down the line. Going to be a gripping few days watching the model output.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Oh my GFS you naughty thing you 

BF1EF9DA-760C-4284-BF10-08EFC7B20BF5.thumb.png.e7a891ba6efca8039f91a20d0b7fb0d9.png

:air_kiss:

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Well looking at the gfs and to an extent the ukmo they are both fraught with danger. We need almost everything to go perfect to get the cold in place and potentially snowfall. Think I will go with worst case scenario then won’t be disappointed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Seem to be evolving into west based NAO..

Yet still under some distinctly full on polar air!!!

Gfs12z..

Need ecm on a same path this evening for assurety!!

Posted
Just now, Man With Beard said:

Hasn't stopped the cold getting to us, though

gfs-1-234.png?12

A rare occasion with that there’s more risk but it is a more cyclonic type of cold = lots of snow. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
3 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Great stuff from the GFS so far with the cold air undercuttng the precip.

The UKMO has also improved so after a traumatic morning sighs of relief all round however it’s not a done deal and still a few hurdles to overcome.

I’d prefer to see the block centered a bit further east but that’s a way out so could change.

The output is and has been all over the place but one consistent message has been blocking predominantly to our NW. They just want to put a block of some description in that area. Gfs is just stunning and a channel low with cold air under cutting, well it doesn't get better.

• Like 1