Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE and East Anglia general weather discussion 01/01/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

Just had my coldest night of the winter.

Dropped to -4.7

Currently -3.6

Very icy after last nites late shower.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS
25 minutes ago, lottiekent said:

If I’m reading this right, 0z is an upgrade for snow for us tomorrow, rain to snow event? 1pm and 7pm respectively tomorrow..

F9C7C3C3-F338-48BF-911A-BE5BF178B993.jpeg

DB233C63-6A5E-43CE-AD50-EFE34EAADEC7.png

Surely temps not low enough for lying snow.!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Arrived in Venice this time yesterday morning to chilly and wet weather. The overnight sleeper train from Vienna was fun. The weather cleared up somewhat so spent all morning walking about and having coffee. Some nice meals and wine later, too. First time here, not sure I like the place much to start with but it’s grown on me a bit, comes into its own at night. Leaving at lunchtime today on a train to Innsbruck, where we get off and wait 2 hours for the train to Salzburg. Hoping to see lots of lovely scenery on the way!

373F611B-4EC4-4BBE-BA34-0921A61116DE.jpeg

61CF7331-5810-42C8-AB94-128EC2C5D8DA.jpeg

EBDBDC34-97B3-4490-A1FB-664D7A9DC3E0.jpeg

96ED1077-E76C-49E6-92FB-55574B77A1EB.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Morning all

Still liking the trends from the models this morning. Siberian high, edging further westwards with time, as we approach mid-month.

Lows disrupting, west of the UK, and diving SE, into Europe. Lobe of PV, being held back, west of Greenland. Also a signal, for some height rises, over said Greenland. Also, Met Office, seem to be smelling the coffee of height rises, to our NE,mid-month/2nd half of Feb. Here's hoping these trends continue!!

Glad to see my daughter, is getting her snow fix, in Toronto. See lovely video below, of snow falling in Toronto, city centre.

Have a look at the video, of two Brazilian tourists, being interviewed by a reporter, who evidently are surprised to see snow falling in Toronto, in early to mid-Feb!! The video, is further down the page.

Oh dear, somebody didn't do their research!! :oops: Perhaps. myself and the reporter, are being unfair to them and they meant to say they were extremely excited, to see snow.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/southern-ontario-temperatures-flurries-clipper-system-winter-weather/94541/

Just a few stats, on the weather, you can expect to experience, in Toronto, in Feb, on average.

8.7 days of snow.

10.6 inches, total monthly accum.

Max temp. -1c/0c.

Min. temp.-6c/-7c.

I'm sure Hayley, did her research!! When my 2 were little, in between videos of Thomas the Tank Engine, they were exposed to Daddys' recordings of, Countryfile forecasts for the week, bless them. They both know what sort of weather a Scandinavian high, may bring in Winter. :cold:   

Regards,

Tom.:hi:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!

Not sure if it’s clear on these but just seen my first ever snowbow! Chuffed!

033B4312-1EF0-46FD-B5DF-F01BCC9213A4.jpeg

290EFB76-6B05-4AC8-B19A-ECA3F13FD6B1.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

it's raining.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe thunderstorms

Excited to see if Hirlam pulls this off, and it’s after the main band of precipitation, so if dew points and temps and uppers correlate, could be in for a surprise tommorow evening. EDIT- Dew points at -1 / -2 tommorow evening. Temps at around 3/4c so snow may fall but may not settle.

D971A2D3-D136-4AB3-8871-1C6AC043406B.png

25921FDD-60B8-465F-BE7F-7277305C524A.png

Edited by Justin123
Yeah
  • Like 1

Posted

GFS also suggesting potential snow even for tommorow as well as Hirlam, let’s wait until 12z.

AD1BCC56-B545-43A4-8162-89ED7AB22AD0.png

• Like 1

Morning all hope you all are ok. Reading some of the posts I am a bit confused. Some are saying we could have a possible snow event afternoon to evening tomorrow. However just read the metoffice update for our region and that is saying the overnight rain clearing in the morning to leave a bright day with the odd wintry shower. Apologise in advance if I have read wrong but I was just a bit confused. 

Wishing everyone a great day

????

Posted
2 minutes ago, E17boy said:

Morning all hope you all are ok. Reading some of the posts I am a bit confused. Some are saying we could have a possible snow event afternoon to evening tomorrow. However just read the metoffice update for our region and that is saying the overnight rain clearing in the morning to leave a bright day with the odd wintry shower. Apologise in advance if I have read wrong but I was just a bit confused. 

Wishing everyone a great day

????

Met office rely on UKMO, and wouldn’t mention snow unless there is a trend, not saying it’s definite there’s a slight possibility of a dusting m, over East anglia, Suffolk, east essex, and Kent, keep coming back here over the next 24hours, most likely a bust by tonight’s update anyway ?? if you look at the charts below, it’s very marginal. It looks overwhelming but pretty clear. We have -6 a -8 uppers by tommorow evening, so precipitation would likely fall as sleet if not snow but wouldn’t settle at 2metre temperatures a little high. 

And again, if this continues tonight Met office will pick it up and mention the possibility of a wintry mix, as they usually do when they are unsure.

hope I helped

9A56061E-801C-400B-9AB8-889DA65A24E4.png

1C21E80D-1B5F-465C-B64D-5E0C0D07B08E.png

6B6F1755-BBD1-40EE-9F16-66FF85BDBC00.png

38C37675-35F0-47A0-9AED-1F38092E3E2B.png

7DF59CB7-F014-4D42-8446-160BA89EB662.png

3 minutes ago, Justin123 said:

Met office rely on UKMO, and wouldn’t mention snow unless there is a trend, not saying it’s definite there’s a slight possibility of a dusting m, over East anglia, Suffolk, east essex, and Kent, keep coming back here over the next 24hours, most likely a bust by tonight’s update anyway ?? if you look at the charts below, it’s very marginal. It looks overwhelming but pretty clear. We have -6 a -8 uppers by tommorow evening, so precipitation would likely fall as sleet if not snow but wouldn’t settle at 2metre temperatures a little high. 

And again, if this continues tonight Met office will pick it up and mention the possibility of a wintry mix, as they usually do when they are unsure.

hope I helped

9A56061E-801C-400B-9AB8-889DA65A24E4.png

1C21E80D-1B5F-465C-B64D-5E0C0D07B08E.png

6B6F1755-BBD1-40EE-9F16-66FF85BDBC00.png

38C37675-35F0-47A0-9AED-1F38092E3E2B.png

7DF59CB7-F014-4D42-8446-160BA89EB662.png

That's great thanks for that information getting a bit excited about tomorrow I commute to Milton Keynes from my home in Walthamstow so if I see anything will definitely keep this thread posted. 

Kind regards ????

Posted
1 hour ago, craigore said:

Just had my coldest night of the winter.

Dropped to -4.7

Currently -3.6

Very icy after last nites late shower.

Coldest night of the winter so far here in North Essex. -5.8c still -4.6 now.

Posted
1 minute ago, E17boy said:

That's great thanks for that information getting a bit excited about tomorrow I commute to Milton Keynes from my home in Walthamstow so if I see anything will definitely keep this thread posted. 

Kind regards ????

I’m excited to as any potential is good but don’t be to dissapointed if nothing comes of it, although I’ve got a feeling. No worries, I hope it helps you a bit, make sure you post here though.

Justin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

Beautiful morning here -3 in the night currently-1 lovely blue sky. I would take this over rain and wind any day.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Uxbridge90 said:

-5.3c last night, although I'm sure it felt colder the night before! 

Tomorrow looks pretty rubbish for snow doesn't it? Wet, cold and on the wrong side of marginal!

I wouldnt say it’s in the wrong side of marginal, people will have a few suprises, the GFS run shows snowfall at around 4pm tommorow evening mainly in the shower form, but HIRLAM hints at a heavy band of precipitation moving through at around 5pm falling as snow laying a few hours for the far SE and East Anglia, I’m keeping my eye on it, will know more this evening after tonight’s run.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
3 hours ago, lottiekent said:

If I’m reading this right, 0z is an upgrade for snow for us tomorrow, rain to snow event? 1pm and 7pm respectively tomorrow..

F9C7C3C3-F338-48BF-911A-BE5BF178B993.jpeg

DB233C63-6A5E-43CE-AD50-EFE34EAADEC7.png

I wouldn't call it that, front will disintegrate like yesterday, so if the cold does catch up, quite probable to be honest, it will be another sugar coating event.

Posted
3 hours ago, TomSE12 said:

Morning all

Still liking the trends from the models this morning. Siberian high, edging further westwards with time, as we approach mid-month.

Lows disrupting, west of the UK, and diving SE, into Europe. Lobe of PV, being held back, west of Greenland. Also a signal, for some height rises, over said Greenland. Also, Met Office, seem to be smelling the coffee of height rises, to our NE,mid-month/2nd half of Feb. Here's hoping these trends continue!!

Glad to see my daughter, is getting her snow fix, in Toronto. See lovely video below, of snow falling in Toronto, city centre.

Have a look at the video, of two Brazilian tourists, being interviewed by a reporter, who evidently are surprised to see snow falling in Toronto, in early to mid-Feb!! The video, is further down the page.

Oh dear, somebody didn't do their research!! :oops: Perhaps. myself and the reporter, are being unfair to them and they meant to say they were extremely excited, to see snow.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/southern-ontario-temperatures-flurries-clipper-system-winter-weather/94541/

Just a few stats, on the weather, you can expect to experience, in Toronto, in Feb, on average.

8.7 days of snow.

10.6 inches, total monthly accum.

Max temp. -1c/0c.

Min. temp.-6c/-7c.

I'm sure Hayley, did her research!! When my 2 were little, in between videos of Thomas the Tank Engine, they were exposed to Daddys' recordings of, Countryfile forecasts for the week, bless them. They both know what sort of weather a Scandinavian high, may bring in Winter. :cold:   

Regards,

Tom.:hi:

May be possible they had no idea what snow was until they saw it, probably a first for them. Probably feeling like kids in a candy store, or scared. Not everyone is interested in geography. I guess they know for next time, check the probable weather for the time of year before booking.

Posted
9 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

I wouldn't call it that, front will disintegrate like yesterday, so if the cold does catch up, quite probable to be honest, it will be another sugar coating event.

The Front isn’t dintegrating at all it moves of into France/ Netherlands, taking heavy PPN, that will fall as snow over there, the snow that could possibly happen is dribs and drabs left Behind after the main front. That precipitation will disintegrate but not the front.

Edited by Justin123

Posted
5 minutes ago, Justin123 said:

The Front isn’t dintegrating at all it moves of into France/ Netherlands, taking heavy PPN, that will fall as snow over there, the snow that could possibly happen is dribs and drabs left Behind after the main front. That precipitation will disintegrate but not the front.

I meant the ppn oops.

Posted

we have no warning out for Friday so it' a no go but Sunday we may

unless they extend it tommrrow which I doubt

Edited by Lampostwatcher

Posted
7 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

I meant the ppn oops.

Lol it’s ok, just trying to fixate on the snow chance but have to give in sometimes ?‍♂️

Edited by Justin123

Posted
6 minutes ago, Lampostwatcher said:

we have no warning out for Friday so it' a no go but Sunday we may

unless they extend it tommrrow which I doubt

I mentioned earlier it’s still 36 hours away, Met office have issued warnings within 2 hours of a feature before, even the other day, the warning was extended southwards 6hours before on Monday night, they are focused on other warnings in force at the moment, but as it becomes clear after tonight and tommorows runs, they may issue a warning, but there definitely is something to watch for tommorow. So head high guys

Edited by Justin123
  • Like 1