Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms

I've never managed to work out why cold weather forecast is greeted  with the national disater tone that the presenters put on.

I really dont think it's the minority of people who want it  judging by the amount of people on netweather and other weather websites. 

Take last night's weather for the week ahead i thought the presenter was going to do a Norwegian commentator back in the 80s against  england impression  explaining that the mild weather is coming back next week.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, biggreyface said:

I've never managed to work out why cold weather forecast is greeted  with the national disater tone that the presenters put on.

I really dont think it's the minority of people who want it  judging by the amount of people on netweather and other weather websites. 

Take last night's weather for the week ahead i thought the presenter was going to do a Norwegian commentator back in the 80s against  england impression  explaining that the mild weather is coming back next week.

Everyone in my work moan when it's going to snow, just because they might be inconvenienced! 

Edited by grifter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms

Nicola sturgeon  William  wallace andy murry  juddy murry jamie murry @Mr Frost wee tam and big shuggie ( Stirling  council's finest bin men) your cold and snow is going to take one helluva beating 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
33 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

I’ve heard that @Norrance has started a petition to have me removed from Dundee and sent back to Crail. :D

Who grassed?

Your prediction for me wasn't too bad though except I got millimetres rather than cms?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

There was some discussion about the grittier locations the other day. Here is a link to the map. If you enlarge it shows all the named ones that are out. Some cracking names!

http://scotgov.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=2de764a9303848ffb9a4cac0bd0b1aab

Sorry if already posted.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow
8 minutes ago, Norrance said:

There was some discussion about the grittier locations the other day. Here is a link to the map. If you enlarge it shows all the named ones that are out. Some cracking names!

http://scotgov.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=2de764a9303848ffb9a4cac0bd0b1aab

Sorry if already posted.

77458C8A-E68F-4D57-9BB3-95471D1E9E4A.thumb.jpeg.077b3e51d33df2b39a4bdf84b89b6d72.jpeg

Haha this is brilliant!

I think I just seen Grittie McVittie pass my house:rofl: Gary Gritter better stay away though! :closedeyes:

Posted
13 minutes ago, Norrance said:

Sorry if already posted.

Nice, just highlights the lack of any gritter within Denny area. :wallbash:

2 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Look at the precip accumulation charts up to 6am on Saturday!! If you're at moderate altitude (150m+) then expect this to be snow...

Screenshot_20180118-120452.thumb.jpg.4409d5303b43a672af3640976f6d3f67.jpg

Don't be using the M74 or M77 unless you have a supply of fuel, food and warm clothing...

Add the M-Eight to that too, tomorrow morning up to lunchtime if the Euro4 is correct there's 20cm of snow for @Ruzzi and the area around Harthill.

That big fat 0 sat on my roof top...:rofl:

Posted

A good 45 minutes of heavy snow there - as good as Tuesday afternoon before dark.  Headed east further into the deepest Borders...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Some pretty big numbers on that chart both north and south of glasgow. Wondering whether to take that as an indication for the city itself @CatchMyDrift?

Posted

Why does the met office forecast change all the time? Is it all automated and slight variations throughout the day will alter things? I keep giving up on anything happening tonight in Motherwell then getting hopeful again, I'm up and down like a trampoline here! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
3 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

They've done well since I moved east and the east has been poor since 2013.

well get yourself to * * * * :D

Posted
24 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Yes, precip totals look fairly high for the city judging by the shading but my concern would be the 950 height is fairly high. I think elevation could be important, when isn't it? 

Here's the 6 hour precip chart from 6am to 12pm tomorrow, if that's snow expect carnage:

Screenshot_20180118-153732.thumb.jpg.872744bf03d4ea39014376ab5df1407e.jpg

We'll see what the 12z Euro4 looks like in a couple of hours, if it still looks like the 06z then I'd be getting some orange crayons ready ;)

I'd take my chances with that chart :)

• Like 2

Posted

MetO sneaked an update into the Yellow warning and extended it out to 2355 tomorrow night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

No furthersnow up here, rain this morning which is now freezing over nicely! Won't that be fun to drive and walk in? No further snow expected here, so if we do get any it'll be a bonus. Temp is 1.2 and dropping fast. a nippy night tonight I think! :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

0.6c/-1.6c/WSW here after a bright day.   Certainly getting nippy out!

Posted

Heavy wet snow shower there and sky looks quite promising around about. Not sure it would lie even if we had a lot of showers, mind you there is a skin of ice on everything, bar roads and grass, like car roofs and the like, so maybe get a wee covering if tonight is rinse repeat of Tuesday. Meant to be using the M74 tomorrow night - shall I take my sleeping bag? :D

Posted
2 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Yes, precip totals look fairly high for the city judging by the shading but my concern would be the 950 height is fairly high. I think elevation could be important, when isn't it? 

Here's the 6 hour precip chart from 6am to 12pm tomorrow, if that's snow expect carnage:

Screenshot_20180118-153732.thumb.jpg.872744bf03d4ea39014376ab5df1407e.jpg

We'll see what the 12z Euro4 looks like in a couple of hours, if it still looks like the 06z then I'd be getting some orange crayons ready ;)

OK - orange crayons ready - some changes but still plenty of ppn:

18011906_1812.gif 18011912_1812.gif

Edited by 101_North

Posted
5 minutes ago, 101_North said:

OK - orange crayons ready because I can't spot the difference:

12z.thumb.png.3b74acf316ca9fd8fef142c79ef9a04e.png

Yep just beat me to it there, but I'll post it in pink just for the nice snowy looking appeal ??

IMG_7755.PNG

I'm still maintaining that an amber should be issued! 

Edited by Ruzzi
  • Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Ruzzi said:

Yep just beat me to it there, but I'll post it in pink just for the nice snowy looking appeal ??

IMG_7755.PNG

I'm still maintaining that an amber should be issued! 

OK - so the data hadn't updated even though the timestamp had - edited my post above with the updated charts. Some differences but still looking good. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

It looks like a potentially difficult day ahead tomorrow. The exact placement of the heaviest precip is never pinned down until it's falling. Quite a few folk are getting pasted tomorrow and for those thinking of travelling especially on the M74, don't! 

I'm working on containing my disappointment that the updated charts have me staying largely dry! I can smell the 'going north, going south, Edinburgh in the middle' scenario as we often get in similar situations.

As you say - the charts show a trend and it will come down to now-casting and radar watching :)

Edited by 101_North

Posted
5 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Convenient to have someone to blame for what was really a Met-Office failure:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/2107209/humza-yousaf-apology-transport-minister-m74-snow-weather-chaos/

It's going to be the same overnight into tomorrow with a bucket of snow for the M74. No proper warning again. Whose fault will it be by Friday afternoon? I know this is not the politics thread but really? 

Yup, similar to Stewart Stevenson in Dec 2010.

Posted
7 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Convenient to have someone to blame for what was really a Met-Office failure:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/2107209/humza-yousaf-apology-transport-minister-m74-snow-weather-chaos/

It's going to be the same overnight into tomorrow with a bucket of snow for the M74. No proper warning again. Whose fault will it be by Friday afternoon? I know this is not the politics thread but really? 

That is an absolute farse!! I read somewhere aswell, can't remember where, that the MetOffice were trying to blame the police for not closing the roads sooner etc ?? it's been extremely poor from the MetO, no two ways about it. Just saw Sean's forecast on the stv news aswell and he mentioned some pretty horrendous weather and also a spell of more prolonged snow tomorrow morning and plenty travel disruption. 

I'll be sitting waiting patiently on an amber warning tonight ?

• Like 1