Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North west regional discussion

Mokidugway

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
5 hours ago, JeffC said:

If it snows I'll invite you! How old are grandkids? Can give a special tour of mountain rescue team base if they're old enough to understand?

Hopefully an intentional planned visit unlike some visitors:closedeyes: 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry
15 minutes ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

Hopefully an intentional planned visit unlike some visitors:closedeyes: 

Lol, indeed, there's a number of people make unplanned attendance!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold, hot sunny summer's and autumn storms
9 hours ago, SP1986 said:

Dry with sunny spells for us in Wirral. But we might sneak an isolated shower in somewhere ??

I hope so! The wirral hardly gets anything in the way of snow. Last was 2010

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
1 hour ago, JeffC said:

It never ceases to amaze me the stupidity of some people. I remember one occasion in the Lakes halfway up Bowfell and someone asking us for directions. Clearly no map, no compass and completely shafted if the mist comes down!

Posted
32 minutes ago, Dexter said:

It never ceases to amaze me the stupidity of some people. I remember one occasion in the Lakes halfway up Bowfell and someone asking us for directions. Clearly no map, no compass and completely shafted if the mist comes down!

Aye, ironically it's quite rare for Ill-equipped folk to come to grief! 

Posted
1 minute ago, JeffC said:

Aye, ironically it's quite rare for Ill-equipped folk to come to grief! 

Yeah, that does seem rather ironic. I do accept that genuine accidents happen and even the most skilled and experienced walkers could need to make use of the mountain rescue services at some point.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
1 hour ago, Minnizi said:

I hope so! The wirral hardly gets anything in the way of snow. Last was 2010

I had a lot in 2013 but there wasn't much anywhere else. But normally nothing here.

Mind you if the projections are correct we will see snow at times next week.

Edited by SP1986
  • Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, JeffC said:

Yes.

I know one or two :closedeyes:

They are eternally grateful.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Dexter said:

Yes - we were once on Scafell Pike a fell we thought knew so well and had been on numerous times before We got caught out by the mist and did three or four complete circuits of the summit in near darkness before finding our bearings - so many cairns and boulders making navigation hard - just glad we didnt fall in to (wrong choice of words I know) the trap of descending into the Eskdale valley. Lesson learnt.

• Like 1

Posted
38 minutes ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

Yes - we were once on Scafell Pike a fell we thought knew so well and had been on numerous times before We got caught out by the mist and did three or four complete circuits of the summit in near darkness before finding our bearings - so many cairns and boulders making navigation hard - just glad we didnt fall in to (wrong choice of words I know) the trap of descending into the Eskdale valley. Lesson learnt.

Yeah, so easy to get disorientated in the mist. Upper Eskdale is a reasonable way from civilisation as well. Although not nearly as high, the Peak District moorlands near where I live can be a very dangerous environment if the mist comes down simply because they contain large areas of barren, featureless moorland. It is too easy to be complacent.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Wow first time I’ve had 2 mod thread posts deleted, and both in 1 day as well. I expected them to be though. Only 90 seconds for the last one. ??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
1 minute ago, Chris.R said:

Wow first time I’ve had 2 mod thread posts deleted, and both in 1 day as well. I expected them to be though. Only 90 seconds for the last one. ??

Been reading MOD thread all morning and it's been volatile at times. Karyo  made his point but it was gunned down.

Anyway weather wise BBC N24 weather at 11.55 was a bit on the dry and cloudy side for next week with no precip showing coming from the East.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

Been reading MOD thread all morning and it's been volatile at times. Karyo  made his point but it was gunned down.

Anyway weather wise BBC N24 weather at 11.55 was a bit on the dry and cloudy side for next week with no precip showing coming from the East.

He had it gunned down because it's wrong. I think most people in the mod thread are suffering from "insane chart" hangover where because they can't focus on the marginalise aspect - there is none - they need other things to obsess about. 

Anyway there's a recurring theme of lows being modelled to cross the country here, so we could be in the sweet spot for heavy snow. The higher uppers are still low enough for snow. 

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

He had it gunned down because it's wrong. I think most people in the mod thread are suffering from "insane chart" hangover where because they can't focus on the marginalise aspect - there is none - they need other things to obsess about. 

Anyway there's a recurring theme of lows being modelled to cross the country here, so we could be in the sweet spot for heavy snow. The higher uppers are still low enough for snow. 

For some it's a bonkers obsessional hobby which draws you in - all run by computers which all eventually may say "no".

Posted
36 minutes ago, Deep Snow please said:

I agree.

i do get his point that the deep deep cold was modelled to arrive a tad earlier but the main cold has not really been put back. Like I said in there, would I prefer a quick blast but dry or sightly higher uppers but instability and precipitation? The latter every time.

Posted
1 hour ago, Had Worse said:

Sigh he made no point he was simply wrong..... He spammed the MOD thread asking different people should we be worried! 

Edited by frosty ground

Posted
8 hours ago, Mokidugway said:

Only lile ,a2 year and a  3 month old  but that would be cool for the future  :)

Aye no worries happy to, I intend being around for a bit! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

it’s all going to be pushed South. 

Boring dry weather 

6 hours ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

That could of been treacherous I know some one rescued by helicopter in 2013 off the prison band area due to  onset of hypothermia , ironically I advised her not to trek that day due to snow and wind conditions.

• Like 1