Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The hunt for cold - Model discussion (late November)

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
1 hour ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I would be 1000ft up if i had'nt had to move here in a rush (this is the lowest point in the whole parish), the problem here is people keep going up and down the main road and putting salt down so it needs a continual pasting to keep them in bed and maintain a decent snow cover.

Ha ha ha feb . You remind me of myself . Love it when we get a nice deep layer of snow and then my neighbor starts clearing the paths , ruining all my nice snow . It’s so annoying. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
5 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Places only 1 and a half miles away got 5 foot drifts last winter.

There was chains of people passing supplies to the m62 a minute from my house and my road (an A road) was closed.

Posted

The eps control is a colder versions of the gfsp 

@feb1991blizzard - does the presence of the mean ridge on ecm T240 mean anything yet ???

despite the obvious swing seen today, I’m still 50/50 .........let’s see what happens as higher res picks up the difficult bits re phasing to our west and more amplification over n America slowing down the systems to allow the ridges to manifest themselves 

• Like 6

Posted
3 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

@feb1991blizzard - does the presence of the mean ridge on ecm T240 mean anything yet ???

despite the obvious swing seen today, I’m still 50/50 .........let’s see what happens as higher res picks up the difficult bits re phasing to our west and more amplification over n America slowing down the systems to allow the ridges to manifest themselves 

Agreed.

A swing away from a rampant +NAO today

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Really liking the trend of the JS via the FV3, dives way south into week 2. This whole week 2 scenario is really shaping up but I cannot contradict myself in saying there is faith in this.

There is a trend though.

gfsnh-5-288.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Yes, i do believe that the general pattern with another round of scandi heights that GP and others have touted a) will materialise and b) needs to materialise for our sake further into January, however, it will in my opinion with a strong Northern arm, remain too far to the East for any deep cold to be advected our way this month, we might get close towards the end of December. even the teleconnections guru's have remarked that the atmosphere is behaving like a super nino - when have we ever had a proper block set up in December with such a pattern?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

My take on the 12s as a whole, from an uncertainty point of view, given the timescales we're talking about, day 8 to 10 being the period of interest.  

My first thought on seeing the 12z op suite compared to the 0z and yesterday's 12z, in the context of the model output over a slightly longer timescale (few days) was 'regression to the mean' - in a system with high uncertainty, the idea that if you get 6 reds in a row on roulette, you might expect at some unspecified time in the future to also get 6 blacks i.e things average out in the end. So if the previous runs were biased to pessimistic given the level of uncertainty, we might expect a good set of runs anyway.  

What moves me away from this, towards an actual signal for an amplified solution in the vicinity of the UK at the day 10 timescale, is the ECM mean and spread.  This looks more signal than noise, and if it is firmed up on the 0z then I think we have a new route to cold being firmed up.  I'm holding fire from ramping it for another 12 hours.

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 6

Posted

Ensembles are still a bit disappointing. Not many runs getting below the magic -5c 

6F843C96-E159-4E6F-A289-95C2C4A348E7.png

ADB09C4D-C0E6-4D86-898F-0572BF63F338.jpeg

Edited by Tim Bland

Posted

CFS watch, as it's 30 Nov, last chance to view what CFS is showing on average for December, here's the latest surface pressure anomaly for the NH - last 8 runs:

image.thumb.jpg.b3912f9ea11e1e417ffae968e36d4425.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.06e9a3f5014423886ee0d3ceaa78afe1.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.9973f7fc4c978c8e09e32ea693786c4f.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.21453a43e8bf979e63bb12e74915b874.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.66ce2dad40b2d8d610e67debb1404530.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.2be999441b3d29fe2c299a611a5a6a0a.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.b12597aeaa94a5ee4c7839f3a3f7ee12.jpgAimage.thumb.jpg.c5d7cdb57418f19098aaabf799111302.jpgA

All look very negative AO - it's a start, but correlation of -AO to -NAO is only about 0.7 I believe, so yes good signals, but still some uncertainty of course, let's watch how all this pans out....

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Just @ JFK - 

Seen the Debilt T2Ms- biggest signal yet for cold...

91B18FB9-F22F-47A7-8D9F-C24F2F22C2AB.thumb.png.4f8db01a39db3750b668564ee147a318.png

Wow they have taken a dive . Compared to the last few days that is a very good graph . Funny how it all changes so quickly. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

GFS has merged the eastern seaboard low. Will be interesting to see how what happens later on down the run.

Posted

Clusters - only 12% go with the control .....there are still five in the extended so  the message remains ‘wait and see’. The pattern in the 9/10 day period is amplified but the three clusters pre day 10 then look very unconvincing post day 10. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

The 18z GFS looking identical to the 12z FV3 at 192 - so expexting a decent amount of amplification similar to the ECM EPS...

And we end up like this at day 10 . 

722891C4-BF9B-4155-A88C-24C00789262D.png

• Like 1

Posted

This is at T300 and it looks good but the pv over Greenland is a pain in the ar*e

A6B24531-CE9A-4D87-B6FF-ED316146F632.png

Edited by ICE COLD
  • Thanks 1

Posted

GFS 18z is following every other model, the blocked outcome is coming, GFS at T216:

image.thumb.jpg.60106edf431f4958697ec38a4d341f4b.jpg

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 2