Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The hunt for cold - Model discussion (late November)

Paul
Message added by Paul

If you're hunting for cold potential in the model output, this thread is for you. But if you'd like to look more widely at the models, please head over to the general model discussion thread.

This is a model related thread, so a general, frequent theme of the model output is a given, but it will not be strictly enforced:

• Some topic drift, humorous responses etc are fine
  • Posts likely to lead the thread off on an entirely off topic tangent are not ok. For example (but not solely limited to): Posts entirely or mainly about Met Office, BBC or media forecasts with little or no model context, and posts solely asking for a weather forecast in a specific location.
  • Posts which start with something like 'I know this is off topic but ...' are not ok.
  • Posts which break the forum guidelines are not ok (eg trolling, troll-hunting, weather guilt tripping, overly defensive/aggressive, abusive, disrespectful to others)

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
25 minutes ago, booferking said:

Thats interesting update as @Catacol  was going for a strong MJO wave and blocking highlighted below for mid month onwards.

Key to this will be the MJO. We continue to see forecasts of a strong MJO wave and without doubt the signal for blocking to return under a Nino base state will return:

navgemnh-0-1441.png

We'll have to wait and see, I would have thought the models would start to show blocking before mid-month if it were a strong MJO wave, even given the lag of around 10 days, mid-month onwards I would expect the effect of the MJO 'colder' phases to start to wear off if it had decent amplitude, given it's expected to move to 3/4 fairly quickly. Would like to be wrong and until the start of the week I was hopeful of blocking 2nd week of Dec, but I see the strong jet stream driving the show for the foreseeable, but enough waves / eddies developing at times to allow some transient cold shots and northern snow. 

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

The jet should be weakening post day 10 as the Canadian vortex tends nw and the temp gradient becomes less steep as it drifts 

There will still be a nose of low heights into the nw Atlantic - given the Siberian blocking in place, this is why I feel a scandi ridge is far more likely than  a greeny

• Like 5

Posted
22 minutes ago, Nick F said:

We'll have to wait and see, I would have thought the models would start to show blocking before mid-month if it were a strong MJO wave, even given the lag of around 10 days, mid-month onwards I would expect the effect of the MJO 'colder' phases to start to wear off if it had decent amplitude, given it's expected to move to 3/4 fairly quickly. Would like to be wrong and until the start of the week I was hopeful of blocking 2nd week of Dec, but I see the strong jet stream driving the show for the foreseeable, but enough waves / eddies developing at times to allow some transient cold shots and northern snow. 

Thanks for reply @Nick F much appreciated the last set of model runs weren't all dead on blocking so maybe we might see the signal for blocking  grow in the coming days.

gemnh-0-240.png

gem-0-240.png

gens-0-1-312.png

gensnh-0-1-384.png

gensnh-1-1-252.png

gensnh-14-1-240.png

gensnh-15-1-264.png

gensnh-16-1-348.png

gens-0-1-312.png

ECH1-240.gif

Edited by booferking

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Yes it is looking as though those who called zonal will be proved correct.

It is actually quite a turn around from the signal we were seeing earlier in the week although it could be argued those were always in FI.

The MetO were also caught out by this as well, forecasting only a small chance of unsettled weather (mobile) and even if it happened it would soon become drier and more settled (blocked)

We can only hope their  forecast for second half of December falls just as flat.

So it is the white flag from me with only the Euros offering some possible crumbs of comfort in FI with the faint hope of getting some wintriness mixed in with the more mobile pattern also looking a no go.

On a positive note we are now pretty much starting from scratch in the next search for blocking and cold so the expected zonal charts won't be so depressing.

The darkest hour comes just before dawn so here is to hoping those scraps on the table in ECM FI keep us going until we get back on the trail of our prey.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Partial retro- then a wrap off towards scandi!!..

As wave 1's impact begin pv displacement!!- aiding the the syphon-of height placement!?

As the mother lobe begins elongation and westwards progress...in doing so.

So scandi height format...as BA- And others have flagged...big possibilty.

So snaps (posted)...are imo a very feasible evolution..and accomplishment!!..

Great too see how this all evolves...as we enter the new month!!!!

gens-0-1-360.webp

gens-0-0-384.webp

gens-0-1-312 (1).webp

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 2

Posted
29 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

The jet should be weakening post day 10 as the Canadian vortex tends nw and the temp gradient becomes less steep as it drifts 

There will still be a nose of low heights into the nw Atlantic - given the Siberian blocking in place, this is why I feel a scandi ridge is far more likely than  a greeny

I'm still hopeful of some kind of blocking high to our NE longer term, a LOT depends on some kind of 'break' in the jet- alluded to by your good self above.

Its that or something along the lines of Exeters latest musings, and i really don't fancy ANY of that!

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

UKMO/GFS very similar at 144- both look pretty ugly but its 168 onwards that holds interest for me .

We have been saying that for the last month lool and we get to 168 hours and beyond and nothing has changed!!at this rate we be waiting all winter mate!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
6 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

UKMO/GFS very similar at 144- both look pretty ugly but its 168 onwards that holds interest for me .

Yes, I think post T180 looks to have some interest for further amplification, here ICON T180:

iconnh-0-180.thumb.png.3d0633811dcf62e42c63296d624862d8.png

GEM looking promising at T192:

gemnh-0-192.thumb.png.85f97a7b6d42fe136f8aa8bd0b19409e.png

I think the 12z's may be more positive than the last few suites.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, booferking said:

Thanks for reply @Nick F much appreciated the last set of model runs weren't all dead on blocking so maybe we might see the signal for blocking  grow in the coming days.

To tell you the truth, it's not always a clear picture how strong the MJO wave is, the RMM plots show low amplitude, the VP200 and other variables combined suggest more amplitude/stronger MJO through 8/1 as below plots show

last_90d.RMMPhase.thumb.png.912e9edb6a0f4cffd5c0cba48cae10a5.pngnewMJOindx_90d.noENSO.RMMPhase.thumb.png.80cf50e9cab918125074c5a57613ba4a.png

So I can see why there may be some enthusiasm for blocking to develop given the above plots. However, I would have expected the models to have churned out some stronger hints of blocking in the ensembles and operationals for week 2 of Dec if the MJO wave was strong, EPS clusters and EC weeklies not on it yet. Given the forecast strength of the upper westerlies over the N Pac, NAM and N Atlantic - see little signs other than transient cold shots for now. But worth seeing if the trop PV retreats poleward over Canada, as some models hint at, which may ease up the strength of the jet stream. Certainly there looks like signs of a relaxation of cold over eastern N America by mid-month, which may allow the jet stream to weaken.

• Like 6

Posted
15 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Yes, I think post T180 looks to have some interest for further amplification, here ICON T180:

iconnh-0-180.thumb.png.3d0633811dcf62e42c63296d624862d8.png

GEM looking promising at T192:

gemnh-0-192.thumb.png.85f97a7b6d42fe136f8aa8bd0b19409e.png

I think the 12z's may be more positive than the last few suites.

Yes, clear amplification signal from day 8 on most of the NWP this evening.  Thank God - even if it gives us a short break from the wet and windy regime.  Sunny days and a touch of frost will do me for now! 

Edited by mulzy
  • Like 6

Posted

back to easterly again in fl on gfs.Hopefully this time it’s a start of a trend,though knowing the gfs the next run will have mild SW winds in fl

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Much improved GFS too! although takes a little longer here T240, T312:

image.thumb.jpg.9f7f0b7b8ab15e0d821db32e4156af3d.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.87cdcaa9cd46fd28da9d2084efdd5e25.jpg

Builds the Scandi high, and if we're seeing this sort of output, upgrades always possible as we get closer in time.  Good start this evening.

• Like 6

Posted

And we end the run with a 1045mb scandy high-

Nice to see but i think most of us realize its going to to take a bit of luck getting there- atmosphere seems pre disposed to NH blocking if we can get the Atlantic to play ball, it did on 12z and the end result is what i want to see in the run up to christmas..

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
11 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Here comes the bluearmy march Westward!

gfsnh-0-360_iul1.png

You have to laugh though, as the really cold 850s get shunted eastwards in the first 200 hours or so of the run leaving a diminished cold pool for the Easterly to tap into. Still a lot better to look at than recent efforts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
1 hour ago, tight isobar said:

Partial retro- then a wrap off towards scandi!!..

As wave 1's impact begin pv displacement!!- aiding the the syphon-of height placement!?

As the mother lobe begins elongation and westwards progress...in doing so.

So scandi height format...as BA- And others have flagged...big possibilty.

So snaps (posted)...are imo a very feasible evolution..and accomplishment!!..

Great too see how this all evolves...as we enter the new month!!!!

gens-0-1-360.webp

gens-0-0-384.webp

gens-0-1-312 (1).webp

Something 'a custom' to this !!!!

gfs-0-372.png

gfs-0-336.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

You have to laugh though, as the really cold 850s get shunted eastwards in the first 200 hours or so of the run leaving a diminished cold pool for the Easterly to tap into. Still a lot better to look at than recent efforts.

Thats a very big cold pool already though!!!    -   The PPN might not be great as the mid level lapse rates could do with being steeper but dont forget - SST's are higher.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

GEM also sniffing around an easterly at day 10 this evening..

Yup, its the classic case of HP getting sucked up and it all starts off around T180/T192 so thats the timeframe worth keeping an eye on. Looking good I must say, can the hp get a bit further north?

gem-0-192.png

gem-0-234.png

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, Paul said:

The Netweather winter forecast is online:

https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/uk/long-range/seasonal

Discussion thread here:

Thank you Ian for a very well prepared forecast. As with any of us on any time scale we have to wait to see how close to the actual But thank you.

• Like 8

Posted
32 minutes ago, snowray said:

Yup, its the classic case of HP getting sucked up and it all starts off around T180/T192 so thats the timeframe worth keeping an eye on. Looking good I must say, can the hp get a bit further north?

gem-0-192.png

gem-0-234.png

Yeah looks good until it gets into a reliable timeframe and too much energy spills over the top and flattens it, the amount of times the models are overly keen on doing this at day 10 range is ridiculous. Much like the GFS tendencies for zonal, bucket loads of salt required!

• Like 2