Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Reasons for not looking forward to winter in the UK?

Sunny76

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Because winters like 2019-20 or 2023-24 are becoming more frequent. Lack of snow and lack of sun as well. Devoid of vegetation. Footpaths become a muddy swamp.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Same as above just a  grey damp mud fest so glad it’s over

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Got interested in the weather in the first place when I was a kid growing up in the 80s due to the winter season.  Nowadays even weeks before the end of winter I often look forward to spring due to the lack of wintery type weather during winter.  Our winters have become so bland and boring overall. I have lost alot of faith in winters at this stage. But I will still hope beyond hope that going into next winter and any winter that it might deliver something even though my expectations will be very low.

• Like 1

Posted

lassie23 can't blame you. Feels like we don't get proper seasons anymore.  More especially autumn and winter. Those 2 seasons are dying a death.

• Like 5

Posted

One of the things I liked about autumn was the anticipation of the forthcoming winter. Cant even have that anymore.  The only anticipation I have during autumn these days is how bloody  crap winter will likely be , not much fun. Lol.

• Like 1

Posted

Forget the UK, I've practically given up on winters in my corner of Central Europe too. Having no snow since before Christmas, even above 500m, is simply horrendous. After a frustrating snowless "cold spell" in January, which only really brought one notably cold day (nothing special in the context of an entire winter), my patience was "rewarded" with the warmest February ever, a full 7C (seven)  above average. At Slovakia's longest-running station (Hurbanovo, dating back to 1872) February this year actually matched the warmest ever March in terms of average temperature. Just shockingly, shockingly bad and with March looking like offering no wintry compensation. I need to move to the mountains.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

The winter weather most of us enjoy is frost and snow. We do not get anywhere near enough of either in the UK, so basically we have 6 months of “Autumn” between October and March. Dull, damp, temperatures between about 5c and 15c for most of the period. 

If we aren’t going to get decent winter weather, I’d rather Summer extend later into Autumn and Spring start earlier. 

We’ve always had this kind of dross in UK winters, but what has changed in recent years is snowless winters becoming more frequent. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Growing up in the 1950s and 60s I was used to more frequent snow and frosts and almost took cold spells as expected events back then.

Yes we still had the usual Atlantic weather but it was more bearable then because of the cold interludes.

Gradually over recent decades the warming trend has eroded anticipation of our so called Winters now.

I have my memories of some great Winters including of course the daddy,1962/3.

It is such a shame that the joys of a crisp Winter landscape under a snowy blanket have become almost a rarety now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I am afraid that we are gonna get used to winters like the one just gone or the mild and dry kind like 2016/17 , either way snow will become EXTINCT away from Scotland and the uplands of Northern England and Wales. In the future if you want a snow fix, book 3 months away in Scandinavia or Norway I'd suggest otherwise accept it for what it is. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Wade Indeed, I've meaning meaning to book a winter holiday to Scandinavia or Canada for some time now!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
12 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Jesus, old thread had to check to see if I'd posted, on opening page

Found even older ones 😉

• Thanks 1

Posted

*Stormforce~beka* will do.  It would be nice to actually look forward to seeing snow, rather than merely hoping, only to be dashed!

• Thanks 1

Posted

Count me in as another person who is in for winter proper, but not for what often passes for it nowadays. A good few centimetres of snow as part of a cold spell that lasts, sure. But all I've had this cold season so far (November to March, to account for early and/or late falls) is marginal accumulations of no more than a centimetre, none of which lasted more than 12 hours. No sign of any more this winter either, and even if we do get something it's not going to stick around long by mid-March.