Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
Just now, jonboy said:

But the drive through is not a facility you can just go to it is by appointment only and is purely intended to keep potential cases away from the main hospital sites

Yes  but people will use them more easily  then going to the A and E    Im sure people are put of by having to go to hospital and be tested.  A corona test and a big mac on the go  what could be easier 

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
13 minutes ago, kold weather said:

It is interesting to see these little local bubbles, we've kind of got a larger one here in this part of NW Europe as well, with Belgium, Netherlands and the UK all showing a slower rate of growth than the rest of W.Europe and now most of central Europe as well.

Good to see the cutting of interest rates, but they need to do something major to help small business and retail, because in particular the latter was struggling even before coronavirus.

Cut is too early and was likely done now because Carney is going. Demand won't respond to increase rates on the upside of a fear based response so there's little point before we reach peak to enhance recovery.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, weirpig said:

Yes  but people will use them more easily  then going to the A and E    Im sure people are put of by having to go to hospital and be tested.  A corona test and a big mac on the go  what could be easier 

Anything that might help to keep others safe has to be a good thing, even if it is by appointment only. Those people otherwise might struggle to get tested at all.

Anyway I'm off work all week now, thanks to a butchered Meniscus cartilage from an injury, at this rate I'll get back to school as Coronavirus hits!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
49 minutes ago, lottiekent said:

Sums up what we were posting on here last night - they are not testing people unless they have come from a risk area abroad or direct contact with a diagnosed person;

Source is Guardian online.

714D1A2D-1D7A-4ED9-9667-8E067A3887F7.jpeg

3956E78A-C467-4F2A-B760-28256C600519.jpeg

B68B0384-9FD8-44E2-ACD4-620A1FA28073.jpeg

It seems we are doing an America, our figures are probably very understated. 

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, summer blizzard said:

Cut is too early and was likely done now because Carney is going. Demand won't respond to increase rates on the upside of a fear based response so there's little point before we reach peak to enhance recovery.

I suppose the problem is SB if they are trying to delay it, there may not be much left to save for some bushiness, quite a few places are already only just getting over a difficult 2019 due to Brexit fears/anxiety and may not have the resources to cope with a 2-3 month period of drastically reduced demand. I admit on its own its not a huge deal and I think other larger measures elsewhere in the economy needs to be put out and the introduction of IR35 for example must be put back at least 6 months IMO (as there is likely to be another Autumn budget when hopefully we will see things calm down) as every little will help in this case.

No easy answer, especially since we haven't still properly recovered from the 2007-2008 crash (we used ultra low interest rates to prop everything up globally) that same trick isn't going to have anywhere near the same effect here.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters
52 minutes ago, weirpig said:

But in 3 or 4 weeks  the outbreak  will be 10s of times worse    and the games if they went ahead will still have to be played behind closed doors.   It really makes the league unfair.  Not for the winner   which will obviously be Lpool regardless   but for those battling relegation  and trying to gain European spots.    For me just stop it now  and  start again when  hopefully it all dies down.  If it takes 6 months or more than so be it.  

If the leagues cant be concluded, then the only option would be null and voiding the the entire season and starting again in autumn with everybody remaining in their current divisions. It would be harsh on Liverpool I agree, but at least they could go down in trivia as the team that won the league but didnt win the league

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

I suppose the problem is SB if they are trying to delay it, there may not be much left to save for some bushiness, quite a few places are already only just getting over a difficult 2019 due to Brexit fears/anxiety and may not have the resources to cope with a 2-3 month period of drastically reduced demand. I admit on its own its not a huge deal and I think other larger measures elsewhere in the economy needs to be put out and the introduction of IR35 for example must be put back at least 6 months IMO (as there is likely to be another Autumn budget when hopefully we will see things calm down) as every little will help in this case.

No easy answer, especially since we haven't still properly recovered from the 2007-2008 crash (we used ultra low interest rates to prop everything up globally) that same trick isn't going to have anywhere near the same effect here.

or 100% scrapped! triple whammy of Brexit, IR35 & Coronavirus will hit the economy hard.

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, lawrenk said:

I see some on the extreme left not covering themselves in glory on Twitter with their response to Nadine Dorries testing positive.

”They go low we go high”. Yeah right.

Not seen what you are on about, probably cause I don't use twitter. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.

This is from a friend of a friend who lives in New York giving their friend an update of what is happening in the city

'The Corona pandemic developments get more dire by the day, actually even by the hour. A state of emergency has been declared in New York State and in New Jersey. The National Guard has been called in to enforce a quarantine in a particular disease cluster in New Rochelle

Both de Blasio and Governor Cuomo have been holding daily news conferences to update the populace on various measures that are being taken to control the spread of the virus. I believe they are doing their best to stay on top of this situation, even given the malfeasance of the federal government in providing access to tests, accurate data, etc.

The business environment has been advised to establish work from home guidelines as much as possible. City commuters have been advised to walk or bike to work if possible, and to take earlier or later commutes if they normally commute on subways or buses during rush hour. Businesses have also been advised to stagger their work hours if at all possible to avoid a 9 to 5 rush hour crush.

Most colleges in the area have canceled classes for the foreseeable future, such as Columbia, Barnard Fordham, St John's, and Juilliard, among others. Many group events have been canceled, even the New York City Half Marathon which was scheduled for this coming Sunday and is usually quite an event.

Broadway is still performing, although to highly diminished audiences, and they are offering $50 tickets to try to boost attendance.

The television shows Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune are no longer performing with live audiences in the studio. Many sporting events are being played in empty stadiums because audience attendance is no longer allowed.,

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Iran have reported 958 new cases and 63 new deaths

Total to 9,000 cases and 354 deaths

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Spain is now on the verge of reaching 2,000+ cases now.

Edited by pip22
  • Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Iran reported 958 new cases and 63 new deaths

Total to 9,000 cases and 354 deaths

Another bad day in Iran then, the death total starting to really add up in Iran as well sadly.

Already close to 2,000 cases today (1870) and that is before the bigger European countries reports come in during the day or the next round of US reports come through later. Yesterday was the worst day globally in this 2nd wave of infections outside of China.

• Like 2

Posted

Ultimately, imo of course, the success or failure of the UK strategy will be judged not by numbers of those infected but on the ability to keep the recovery rate high and the mortality rate low.  That depends on the effectiveness of an under-resourced NHS under pressure.......

• Like 5

Posted

Spanish figures upto 12pm:

Total Confirmed Cases: 2,067 Deaths: 47 

So another large jump in Spain! I really do quesiton the wisdom of this Champions league match going ahead, their jumps are pretty much exponential at the moment!!

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.
6 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Unlike him....

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, snefnug said:

Unlike him....

Lol   Fact is though   we are told to wash our hands as it could stop the spread   do you have to really be less than 2 metres before you can catch it?.  About if she touched something without washing her hands etc  he then touched it.  Surely he should take  a  test to be on the safe side. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I must admit that I find this 2m 'advice' to be more than a wee bit silly: how long would the queues be, around every London Underground station, for example?

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Lol   Fact is though   we are told to wash our hands as it could stop the spread   do you have to really be less than 2 metres before you can catch it?.  About if she touched something without washing her hands etc  he then touched it.  Surely he should take  a  test to be on the safe side. 

Plus not having symptoms doesn't mean you are not shedding the virus, otherwise you wouldn't need to pre quarentine people. 

Posted
Just now, General Cluster said:

I must admit that I find this 2m 'advice' to be more than a wee bit silly: how long would the queues be, around every London Underground station, for example?

Yes, how do you keep that distance on a train, in a queue, on a bus, in an office where your desk chairs are 1m apart....?

Or, for another matter, at a football match or concert?

And are we also to believe that droplets from somebody coughing are unable to travel more than 2m?

Unrelated... I am having to travel from Clacton to London on the train and tube today for a minor operation, I've just reached Stratford. When I was here 2 weeks ago, quite a few people were walking about wearing masks. Not a single one today. I wonder whether complacency has kicked in because it's been so long since this all started?

• Like 2