Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Novel Coronavirus – China

Snipper

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
3 hours ago, Captain Shortwave said:

That is my thought, are we in a situation where reported cases are artificially low due to the low number of tests being carried out. Will this now quickly correct towards the numbers seen across the channel?

The problem if this happens is quite simple, we would hit French/German levels but still be at a lower level of clamping down on the spread. The prognosis would not look good.

As i understand it despite lower case numbers our test numbers exceed all in Europe bar Italy so even if our cases do increase we should theoretically be likely to remain below Spain, France and Germany at least per capita. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

A German footy game being shown on BT sport now. All behind closed doors. Very very odd... 

I can 100% see that happening here after this weekend... 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms
4 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

As i understand it despite lower case numbers our test numbers exceed all in Europe bar Italy so even if our cases do increase we should theoretically be likely to remain below Spain, France and Germany at least per capita. 

af5379b4-63ac-11ea-b3f3-fe4680ea68b5?fit

• Like 4

Posted
21 minutes ago, Tamara said:

Some points and suggestions coming from various angles related to COVID 19 :

.....The resources of national NHS (and other international country major health organisations) is out of our individual control...and much could be said about that as a related subject!. But oxygenating the bloodstream and organs on the larger scale in terms of general moderate exercise is a good free of cost measure to choose to take at any time, and whilst it will not prevent potential infection from COVID, it will at least help assist the body combatting the COVID threat.....

I will highlight this from Tamara's post as it is very sound advice.

Any improvement one can make to lung function is likely to prove beneficial in the event of development of pneumonia, be it through Covid-19, Influenza or any other pathogen. 

Being fit and healthy is not a guarantee that you will avoid the severe effects of Covid-19, but it is really clear now, that poor health is an issue. 

If you are able to make changes to your lifestyle (i acknowledge this is not necessarily a possibility for anyone with underlying health issues) you will not only be helping yourself, but you could also possibly be helping others! If taking up general moderate exercise proves to be the small difference between needing medical intervention, and fighting off an infection yourself, then you will have helped by removing demand on your health service.

I am no fitness nut!  I have seen enough winters to know what snowed in looks like! Up until a month ago, i smoked socially. I definitely drink too much and am most certainly seriously overweight.  I do at least participate in sport, so am not necessarily an irredeemable couch potato, but with just a few weeks of doing some moderate exercise when i can fit it in, and stopping the cancer sticks, the improvement in my breathing capacity is very notable.  I know this from having to run for the bus this morning, but i just also had a go at the lung capacity test Tamara described.  I managed that OK, but i am fairly sure if i had tried it back in January, i would have been a wheezing mess.

If you are in a position to make lifestyle changes (check with your GPs if unsure) then do so, you will probably feel the benefits quickly, and feel better mentally with respect to what is happening.  Important - Don't over do it! Going out and trying to run ten miles having not ever exercised and keeling over will not be beneficial! But doing enough gentle/moderate exercise to stress and enhance your breathing capacity is a good start.  Plenty of advice on line, including the NHS website, on starting up on exercise like couch to 5K. Spring is on the way, so give it a go if you can.

A_0819_trainers__G188A6_opengraph.width-
WWW.NHS.UK

Physical activity guidelines for adults, aged 19-64, for general health and fitness, including tips on how to achieve 150 minutes of activity a week.

• Like 7

Posted
2 minutes ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

af5379b4-63ac-11ea-b3f3-fe4680ea68b5?fit

That's quite good to see for us then since we are stacking up well even before our increased testing. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

The Italian Chief Medical Officer has died from respiratory faillure due to COVID-19, he was 67.

Edited by Spikecollie
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
11 minutes ago, Flipflop said:

India going full lock down banning all foreign tourists

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1237798114041507842

I wonder if this will have an effect on my daughter's boyfriend who is currently in India and supposed to be leaving for Myanmar in the next couple of days?

Posted

New York state now upto 213 cases, up from 173, so up 40 for just that one state. Expect US cases to lift up quite alot, though still suggestions there isn't as much testing going on as was suggested by the VP the other day.

Posted
1 minute ago, swebby said:

I will highlight this from Tamara's post as it is very sound advice.

Any improvement one can make to lung function is likely to prove beneficial in the event of development of pneumonia, be it through Covid-19, Influenza or any other pathogen. 

Being fit and healthy is not a guarantee that you will avoid the severe effects of Covid-19, but it is really clear now, that poor health is an issue. 

If you are able to make changes to your lifestyle (i acknowledge this is not necessarily a possibility for anyone with underlying health issues) you will not only be helping yourself, but you could also possibly be helping others! If taking up general moderate exercise proves to be the small difference between needing medical intervention, and fighting off an infection yourself, then you will have helped by removing demand on your health service.

I am no fitness nut!  I have seen enough winters to know what snowed in looks like! Up until a month ago, i smoked socially. I definitely drink too much and am most certainly seriously overweight.  I do at least participate in sport, so am not necessarily an irredeemable couch potato, but with just a few weeks of doing some moderate exercise when i can fit it in, and stopping the cancer sticks, the improvement in my breathing capacity is very notable.  I know this from having to run for the bus this morning, but i just also had a go at the lung capacity test Tamara described.  I managed that OK, but i am fairly sure if i had tried it back in January, i would have been a wheezing mess.

If you are in a position to make lifestyle changes (check with your GPs if unsure) then do so, you will probably feel the benefits quickly, and feel better mentally with respect to what is happening.  Important - Don't over do it! Going out and trying to run ten miles having not ever exercised and keeling over will not be beneficial! But doing enough gentle/moderate exercise to stress and enhance your breathing capacity is a good start.  Plenty of advice on line, including the NHS website, on starting up on exercise like couch to 5K. Spring is on the way, so give it a go if you can.

A_0819_trainers__G188A6_opengraph.width-
WWW.NHS.UK

Physical activity guidelines for adults, aged 19-64, for general health and fitness, including tips on how to achieve 150 minutes of activity a week.

I've been saying this from the outset. I had a soggy feet run this evening with doglet and feel great. I don't think the endless gloom and wet has been helping my mood at all and running is the best boost I can give it. Another nice thing would be to be able to get out and do some work in the garden but that hasn't been possible yet.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny summers, cold & snowy winters
4 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

The Italian Chief Medical Officer has died from respiratory faillure due to CIVD-19, he was 67.

Think rather than the CMO, it's one of the heads of the medical service in one of the affected provinces. This from BBC:

"Italian medical chief dies after contracting virus

The head of the medical association in the northern Italian province of Varese, Roberto Stella, 67, has died of respiratory failure after contracting coronavirus.

He had been practising medicine at an outpatient clinic in Busto Arsizio, north-west of Milan, and Italian reports say he and a colleague were infected at the weekend.

Varese is in the Lombardy region, which has been at the centre of Italy's coronavirus outbreak."

• Like 2

Posted
20 hours ago, abruzzi spur said:

There's an understandable amount of anxiety and stress around at the moment related to CV, not least in here where there are 10s of posts an hour, some based on more science and expert evidence than others.  It's really worth taking time out as a few have said.  Latest WHO guidance on mental health during this situation (note in particular point 3). 

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/mental-health-considerations.pdf?sfvrsn=6d3578af_2

Will also again bump this very good post from @abruzzi spur  the WHO link is helpful and important.

• Like 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Today now has 5851 cases so far, so officially the largest day of cases outside of China, and probably will top 6000 with France and more from the USA. Feels like a big day this one.

WHO finally saying its a pandemic and various governments finally starting to take some more proactive measures.

Meanwhile Boris tells us to wash our hands, sing happy birthday and allows a quarter of a million people to mix openly.

Has he seen the reports from Italy? 

WHAT IS GOING ON???

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Selliso said:

Think rather than the CMO, it's one of the heads of the medical service in one of the affected provinces. This from BBC:

The head of the medical association in the northern Italian province of Varese, Roberto Stella, 67, has died of respiratory failure after contracting coronavirus.

He had been practising medicine at an outpatient clinic in Busto Arsizio, north-west of Milan, and Italian reports say he and a colleague were infected at the weekend.

Varese is in the Lombardy region, which has been at the centre of Italy's coronavirus outbreak."

The governments idea of asking recently retired health professionals to return to service may not be that good an idea.  Looks to me like it is simply asking at risk individuals to get hit with an initially high viral load and then become part of the problem that they are trying to stop?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather

Take Paraguay for example.

• Like 6

Posted
8 minutes ago, Selliso said:

Sorry, misread that one. Thanks for the correction

No more news on our situation here and still no update.

• Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

The Italian Chief Medical Officer has died from respiratory faillure due to COVID-19, he was 67.

I think a 'like' is inappropriate for such a subject but want to thank you for posting this.

This must be an additional disheartening blow for all the medical workers who already face the daily challenges. One imagines, all resources would have been employed in this instance ... 

• Like 2

Posted

Genuine question. 

If the world can get a grip on this the way China has... is the virus *absolutely definitely* going to return in the months after? 

Because if there's any chance of snuffing this out now, isn't it worth a shot, even if it fails? 

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
8 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Meanwhile Boris tells us to wash our hand, sing happy birthday and allows a quarter of a million people to mix openly.

WHAT IS GOING ON???

No need to worry, NWS...that advice is only for folks with one arm!:crazy:

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, swebby said:

The governments idea of asking recently retired health professionals to return to service may not be that good an idea.  Looks to me like it is simply asking at risk individuals to get hit with an initially high viral load and then become part of the problem that they are trying to stop?

Things may have changed, but I thought the idea was to use the recently retired etc in the standard roles, such as GP practices etc etc, and the younger current doctors would be the ones moved to the "front line" so to speak?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy
9 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Meanwhile Boris tells us to wash our hand, sing happy birthday and allows a quarter of a million people to mix openly.

WHAT IS GOING ON???

You can only sustain what Italy are doing for a few weeks, a month max.If you go too early you might need to keep the country in lockdown for 2/3 months... if that happened here the economy would lose billions, possibly going into recession not to mention the longer it goes on the more likely there would be increasing public disorder. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, emax said:

Things may have changed, but I thought the idea was to use the recently retired etc in the standard roles, such as GP practices etc etc, and the younger current doctors would be the ones moved to the "front line" so to speak?

As support staff so to speak?

Was not aware of that and that would make more sense.  Working on the 111 hotlines would also make sense.

14 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Meanwhile Boris tells us to wash our hands, sing happy birthday and allows a quarter of a million people to mix openly.

WHAT IS GOING ON???

Whatever your views on everything else, washing your hands is still "one of" the single best things you can do to reduce the rate of spread, so I dont think its fair to use it as a way to mock him etc

Edited by emax
  • Like 5

Posted
9 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

WHAT IS GOING ON???

If you are such an expert on such things what is your announcement in detail to keep everyone calm?

Too be honest this isn’t a great deal different from telling your children about a problem. Don’t worry. We are doing our best. We are positive it can be controlled.  We are throwing large amounts a money at the problem.

1 minute ago, swebby said:

As support staff so to speak?

Was not aware of that and that would make more sense.  Working on the 111 hotlines would also make sense.

I'm not saying that is definitely going to happen, but I'm sure that was the plan when it was originally announced anyway.

• Like 2