Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2020 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Forecast looks pretty normal for July, not sure where all the doom and gloom is coming from. Average isn't that bad.

WWW.WEATHERONLINE.CO.UK

London weather forecast 14 days - Rain risk - Wind direction - HDD CDD

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
10 minutes ago, B87 said:

Forecast looks pretty normal for July, not sure where all the doom and gloom is coming from. Average isn't that bad.

WWW.WEATHERONLINE.CO.UK

I know it’s weird. It’s almost as if there are people on this forum who don’t live in the SE...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, MP-R said:

I know it’s weird. It’s almost as if there are people on this forum who don’t live in the SE...

I live in the SE, and this current spell of weather is very poor.

I'm not saying we expect the 28-33c weather of last week, to be a regular occurrence, even in a London summer. But, you have to admit, cloudy, or damp conditions and temps south of 23c-26c is pretty dire for July.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

Bring back the heat please. This current weather is just depressing on all levels, especially during the peak of summer. 

Has a 1987 vibe to it at the moment, although June wasn’t as bad as that. 

I certainly don't want it to be as hot as it was this week, but I don't want it to be cool, wet and cloudy either. It is summer after all. Save that kind of weather for October.

Low 20's and sun/clouds by day and lo teens at night with low humidity would be ideal for me, but sadly our summers seem to be all or nothing in this country, esspecially round here.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
38 minutes ago, MP-R said:

But it seems like everyone is complaining. Temps are a few degrees below average at the moment, but will be average or slightly above for the majority of the next 2 weeks.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, B87 said:

WWW.WEATHERONLINE.CO.UK

Yet another Londoner who is completely discounting the fact that the weather won't be as good in most other parts of the country.

But as long the weathers alright where you live then it's all good eh?

Forecast for a town near me:

WWW.WEATHERONLINE.CO.UK

weather Burnley 8 days: Rain risk - Wind - UV index - Sunshine hours

See also:

WWW.WEATHERONLINE.CO.UK

weather Edinburgh 8 days: Rain risk - Wind - UV index - Sunshine hours
WWW.WEATHERONLINE.CO.UK

weather Penzance 8 days: Rain risk - Wind - UV index - Sunshine hours
WWW.WEATHERONLINE.CO.UK

weather Cardiff 8 days: Rain risk - Wind - UV index - Sunshine hours

Not exactly cracking the flags in these areas is it? Daytime temps not even reaching 20°C.

• Like 1

Posted

Anyway, it's turned into a half decent afternoon here. Currently sunny intervals and 18/19°C with light winds. ⛅

Posted
34 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

The second half of June 1986 was warm, warmest second half to June since 1976

Yes, I remember the hot June weather, but overall it was a terrible summer.

Posted
17 minutes ago, B87 said:

But it seems like everyone is complaining. Temps are a few degrees below average at the moment, but will be average or slightly above for the majority of the next 2 weeks.

Even if it ends up above average, if it ends up being a cloud fest, it won't have that summery feel. We need the sunshine back. 

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Yet another Londoner who is completely discounting the fact that the weather won't be as good in most other parts of the country.

Not exactly cracking the flags in these areas is it? Daytime temps not even reaching 20°C.

Those forecasts have similar negative anomalies relative to their averages as we do.

Posted
3 hours ago, mb018538 said:

No chance! 2012 had 13.5 and 15.5 for June and July. We’re at around 15.3c for June 2020, and I can’t see July being that low on the charts being churned out at present. It’s not been amazing for sure, but not a total disaster (on the whole).

We were spoilt from Mid March to late May.

Posted
3 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

And we suffered with almost non-stop well above average rainfall from September to March. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
29 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Aye, but as we all know, that's the least Atlantic dominated time of year, 2nd least period probably Sept to early Nov

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
22 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Yes, I was only 10 at the time. But, I do recall it being the first cold summer I was aware of. Even August 1987 was better in terms of hot weather, but August 86 just seemed more like a winter month.

There was a thundery evening on one weekend in London during this time.

1986 Cold (CET 13.7, the lowest since 1956) and wet, with a very wet and windy Bank Holiday, thanks to the remnants of Hurricane Charley. The 25th was the wettest August Bank Holiday on record, with 25 mm+ of rain widespread, with 50 mm of rain over Wales, the Midlands, and the north of England. 135 mm was recorded at Aber in north Wales. Needless to say, there was extensive flooding and disruption caused by many trees brought down by the high winds. In the rain the temperature was only 10C. Earlier in the day, a very low minimum for the time of year of -3.4C was recorded at Kinbrace (Highland). The rain continued in the east on the 26th. Rainfall was particularly heavy in Ireland, where it caused major difficulties. The worst August of recent times. It was also very dull, with just 143 hours average.

A transcript from Britweather for August 1986

• Thanks 1

Posted

Passable benign summers day in early July.

Mostly cloudy before some late afternoon sunshine. Feeling quite pleasant in the sun with highs of 18°C, alough that's nothing spectacular for this time of year. Mostly cloudy evening and currently 13°C. No rain yet though it is forecast for tonight. Only a brief shower early afternoon. 

After Sundays out of the way it doesn't look too bad - at least from a rainfall perspective, sunny intervals and temps in the high teens - though that could change.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
8 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I live in the SE, and this current spell of weather is very poor.

I'm not saying we expect the 28-33c weather of last week, to be a regular occurrence, even in a London summer. But, you have to admit, cloudy, or damp conditions and temps south of 23c-26c is pretty dire for July.

Yes indeed, that wasn't my point, but anything overly cloudy or damp in summer is poor, whether 23C or 15C. My main point was London compared to other parts of the country will not fare that badly.

Of course, cooler temperatures can pass more if there is actually some sunshine. It cleared up quite nicely here after mid afternoon and the evening was very pleasant, albeit rather September-like given it was only 18C.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

The main thing here today was the breeze again which is really making it feel much cooler than it actually is. It's been ever present since the heat left us at the end of last week. 

Posted
5 hours ago, matt111 said:

The main thing here today was the breeze again which is really making it feel much cooler than it actually is. It's been ever present since the heat left us at the end of last week. 

Is this La Niña already affecting our summer? 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

The nights are drawing in.....etc

image.thumb.png.65ade0b933e2619c2c30636506db9758.png

It's not that noticeable at the moment. From mid august, or once the darkness arrives before 9pm, is the early indication of summer starting to fade. This is the last good month of the year for lengthy daylight hours though.

The late august bank holiday is usually seen as a transition point from summer into early autumn. We can still have hot weather for another two months, so summer isn't over by a long shot.

Posted

Well today is certainly worse than expected! We've had rain almost stationary on the radar over us since 3am now. We're on nearly 18mm already so we've had almost 25mm in the last 36hrs hrs so far.

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It's not that noticeable at the moment. From mid august, or once the darkness arrives before 9pm, is the early indication of summer starting to fade. This is the last good month of the year for lengthy daylight hours though.

The late august bank holiday is usually seen as a transition point from summer into early autumn. We can still have hot weather for another two months, so summer isn't over by a long shot.

You can also get cold and snow in March and April but they are not winter months.

By the same token Autumn starts on September 1st.

• Like 1

Posted

The unsettled weather continues for the foreseeable taking us deep into July. Any substantial improvement will have to wait until the second half of summer and we all know how terrible Augusts have been in general for 17 years now.

The weather has been abysmal here. If we manage to squeeze out another 2-3 day hot wonder before the end of summer it would elevate it to a 3/10 in my book - and the 3 is because I’ve managed to see some lightning in the distance one evening and managed to chase one small storm 15 miles away. For my exact location it’s been a solid 2/10.

Its my feeling there has certainly been a climatological shift in the past few years with our summers now occurring between April-June. With that in mind, I’m ready to basically throw in the towel for this summer which began its autumn transition on June 26th! A record in terms of early-onset, beating out 2017’s mid-July arrival.

9 months until I can look forward to summer again - throw Covid into a mild and wet autumn/winter and it’s going to be a real treat.

• Like 2