Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 10th April 2020 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
4 minutes ago, Zak M said:

Pretty sure there is something wrong with the lightning detectors too near that cell - One minute there were loads of strikes, the next minute there was one, the minute after there was loads, and the minute after that there was one strike.

Lightning is triangulated from detectors all over the UK and even other parts of Europe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

So frustrating, I live in Congleton. The storm approached, stopped, turned right and went across to Leek. Few distant rumbles and no rain whatsoever. Literally incredible how we didn't get anything from that. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

Seems the last of it has passed in Stoke. Probably on par if not better than the overnight storms last year (can't remember the month) and probably the best earliest storm I have seen. More so as it wasn't forecast as such but with a strong cold front coming in this is more akin to America.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
14 minutes ago, Had Worse said:
shutterstock_312573404.jpg
WWW.WINKINGMAN.CO.UK

Please ask for permission to post images from this webcam/website COPYRIGHT © 2015 THE WINKING MAN, UPPER HULME. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Please don’t constantly view the camera...

Heading for Buxton

Area that may see snow flurries tomorrow, Leek/Thornecliffe and Flash

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Heat

Will this storm reach Lincoln or will it die out?.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Been watching the cell near Buxton for the last 15 minutes. 

I'm 16 miles away but plenty of lightning visible  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Flashes to my north just now,Wakefield.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
Just now, Allseasons-si said:

Judging by the radar image, is the cloud producing the lightning very small/isolated?

Posted

I only managed to see the first storm of the year I thought for sure the Stoke-on-Trent/Leek one was going to miss but as the sun went down there lightning all around to the south for a good hour. Just got 2500 pics to sort through now, you never know when it comes to storms as I thought for sure today was going to be a dud.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
8 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

I can actually see the odd flash if I crane my neck to the left. Amazing how far you can see 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

I only managed to see the first storm of the year I thought for sure the Stoke-on-Trent/Leek one was going to miss but as the sun went down there lightning all around to the south for a good hour. Just got 2500 pics to sort through now, you never know when it comes to storms as I thought for sure today was going to be a dud.

Just shows the best storms come out of little expectation. When I saw those clouds building I just thought we were in for a heavy shower. How wrong! I also experienced the heavy rain first hand in Ford Green nature reserve.

• Like 3

Posted

Subtle forcing aloft sliding southwards across northern England tonight may engage with the remnant instability over Yorkshire and the north Midlands to maintain or even pep up some of the showers here, perhaps especially after midnight - and so an ongoing risk of a few heavy showers developing 'out of the blue' with the odd lightning strike possible, probably weakening towards the end of the night.

Plus increasing (weak) elevated instability creeping across the English Channel towards the coast of Kent/Sussex during the night, although models vary on whether showery precip will break out or not but a few isolated lightning strikes not totally ruled out across the eastern English Channel overnight. 

• Like 2

Posted

This storm I'm pretty sure followed the path of the A53 road - has the lightning died off as I'm not seeing any new strikes on the usual sites?

Also comiserations to the user from Congelton, you say you got no rain at all there yet in Baddeley Green in Stoke it's still heavy rain coming down! 

Posted

Still seeing the odd flash to my SW but what's developing around Manchester?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Lightning, Tornado, Hurricane, Heatwave

Some pictures from before of the Stoke to Buxton storm. Almost looked like a supercell but suspect its thr angle!

20200509_210032(0).jpg

20200509_210345.jpg

20200509_210633.jpg

• Like 4

Posted

This lot seems to be moving more East but I assume it's mostly rain, maybe the odd flash and rumble?

image.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lighting and sunshine

Not a bad day at the office eh.  Even though I'm in sunny London, I feel better that the storms at least ambled their way across the country

IMG_20200509_223656.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I was a bit bad and headed out in my car to the nearby Peak District (towards Buxton). I didn't come within 20 metres of anyone, never mind 2 metres, so I don't feel too guilty.

Anyhow, I honestly didn't expect much today but was quite surprised at the storm I just witnessed. Could see flashes from as far away as Ashbourne as it passed over Leek. I then intercepted it on the A515 just south of Buxton. Nothing compared to a mid summer plume storm but some very nice IC's, a couple of CG's and some loud crisp thunder before the rain sent me running back to the car. A nice welcome to the 2020 season and a flashy end to this warn spell.

• Like 7

Posted
47 minutes ago, Ruck Bodgers said:

This storm I'm pretty sure followed the path of the A53 road - has the lightning died off as I'm not seeing any new strikes on the usual sites?

Also comiserations to the user from Congelton, you say you got no rain at all there yet in Baddeley Green in Stoke it's still heavy rain coming down! 

It's still raining now surprisingly and it did seem to follow the A53!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Saw some forked lightning from the storm towards our E/SE. Was at work at the time.

• Like 1

Posted

No storms here again today but got close with flashes visible this evening oh well,

so the next best thing is some pics of some clouds from earlier and i was on the lookout for pileus and managed to get some

these was to my east but didn't produce any showers

DSC02807.thumb.JPG.4a6374da551507d6deac633f080bb1fa.JPGDSC02809.thumb.JPG.6b7fd231b8257b8a7185effeb28cf3ea.JPGDSC02810.thumb.JPG.54dd0b9ad5e03445058f1536ed878383.JPG

same again to my east but a different Cb and within five minutes you can see how much it had grown

DSC02811.thumb.JPG.079e9291ff4d7c5220efacc520e4deab.JPGDSC02812.thumb.JPG.7d40f5a32d86e7f78c472225f21ecf21.JPG

then i was tracking a small cell to my south again didn't produce any lightning but did have an echo on radar(think it got to orange/red)

DSC02808.thumb.JPG.e6a3841588cf94941c8842f46a0e25f3.JPGDSC02813.thumb.JPG.d6b9e3898bd0db8a2a923d6f972fc767.JPGDSC02816.thumb.JPG.155e3d8410f79bc1a87bd0c3c99f3a3f.JPG

well that's it for the time being and we would have to wait a while until the next episode of UK storm media

and to all that got a storm today,well done and thanks for all the reports/pics

@SNOW_JOKE,cracking photo's,what camera is that?

• Like 6

Posted
4 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Saw some forked lightning from the storm towards our E/SE. Was at work at the time.

I think Crewe got a strike about 7.45 this evening.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
2 minutes ago, Rush2112 said:

Estofex have a slight lightning warning for the South West of the UK tomorrow.

Some pockets of low to moderate CAPE for the far SW and parts of South Wales. A cold front moving down may add some forcing, so a shower with some lightning may be possible, albeit low risk.

• Like 2