Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion 17/06/2020 Onward

Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

The slight covering we had is now starting to disappear second day in a row that has happened well it was good to see snow falling and settling for a while mind you some parts of Birmingham done really really well though like Harborne and places like Rednall where the Lickey Hills are

Posted
7 minutes ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

Today's effort. Not bad at all. Bit of dripping now though, but a better cover than I was expecting.

image.jpg

Yes better than I thought  expected it  to be a sleety mix

20201229_135821.jpg

20201229_135849.jpg

Edited by weirpig
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.

Around 6cm to finish off, now another slow thaw underway, roads and pavements turned slushy and wet. Next interest for possible significance is New Years Eve.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold

Back from work was fun out in the snow. Sun has been out also.

It's a melt fest here now mostly slush.

Glad managed to get in on the act and it was great seeing really big flakes at one point although the sustained heavy stuff went west.

Will be now catching up on the other threads and hoping for another chance in a couple days could do with it being a wee bit colder.

Hope most of us midlanders at least saw a flake fall.

Temp around 2c now but falling.

Edited by WinterWilf
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

The snow clouds seem a lot more relaxed now allowing some brighter skies to break through at times, after they lost their temper earlier dumping a lot of snowflakes over Solihull. Struggled to settle, but managed a slushy covering after the last shower went through around 12pm(ish) sort of time. The slushy covering has pretty much all vanished now, but you guys further West have done well. 

Even though there wasn’t a big dumping here, the snow today was generally heavier (even though the intensity was very up and down) than I expected. Was nice to watch it fall. Hopefully though further surprises for us to come 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
15 minutes ago, Sparkiee storm said:

Around 6cm to finish off, now another slow thaw underway, roads and pavements turned slushy and wet. Next interest for possible significance is New Years Eve.

Yes ukv hr model has a little area of sleet/snow coming south on Thursday as i featured earlier on when i showed the fax chart.

ukv.thumb.png.5c767ad768de5b0e4057c10c2e812ddc.png

As i said earlier another marginal feature-aren't they all this week?Dew points,thicknesses on the margins again. 

As recent events in the region have shown even modest elevations tip the balance towards a covering.I managed a brief coating before it melted away.

I think so far in this quite modest cold setup many of us have done as well as we could have hoped with at least some falling snow.

Edited by phil nw.
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
6 minutes ago, phil nw. said:

Yes ukv hr model has a little area of sleet/snow coming south on Thursday as i featured earlier on when i showed the fax chart.

ukv.thumb.png.5c767ad768de5b0e4057c10c2e812ddc.png

As i said earlier another marginal feature-aren't they all this week?Dew points,thicknesses on the margins again. 

As recent events in the region have shown even modest elevations tip the balance towards a covering.I managed a brief coating before it melted away.

I think so far in this quite modest cold setup many of us have done as well as we could have hoped with at least some falling snow.

That’s a big improvement compared to the 09z

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
3 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

That’s a big improvement compared to the 09z

I guess the intensity and track will change over the next few runs so it's just a case of monitoring it.

On another point i like the trend on the ukmo 00z raw with the colder 850's to the north heading south into Scotland by Friday.A promising move and i wondered if this will develop further to produce another feature as it comes south over the weekend.

UW96-7.thumb.gif.324215c45df0f515f09bb8aa8f5bd161.gif

Too early to say but worth keeping an eye for the movement of this colder air on the 12z runs.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 hours ago, nobble said:

Our snowman diving for cover from massive flakes 

D1C70E74-C83F-4399-A032-B02C67B84B35.jpeg

does he look a bit squiffy! Matt, yes been looking at Thursday, looks similar to today, perhaps a bit colder too behind tomorrows south system

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All the Interesting stuff

Lovely out there now hopefully we'll get a hard frost to preserve it

20201229_140738.jpg

20201229_140728.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, phil b said:

Lovely out there now hopefully we'll get a hard frost to preserve it

20201229_140738.jpg

20201229_140728.jpg

Aye looks colder tonight maybe, clear skies and light winds, fog too wouldn't rule out

• Like 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Met Office Tweet.

B08E7922-E61B-4D9E-A9B9-9F69919471B7.jpeg

Looks just like the icon prediction. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Really is great to see snowfall in our region, but this week isn’t finished with us yet, big hopes that I can join in with your snowy pics as I’m very green atm

Posted

Possibly the most marginal snowfall in history today here. the temperature was 0.6'c and the dewpoint was -0.2'c , we had a brief covering, but melted within an hour of falling, as the temps shot up to almost 3'c .

Hope we get better later this week, as things cool down more. We could really do with some decent frosts to cool the ground off, it's far too warm for lying snow around here still.

Great to see though, and i'm happier today, and it's also blown last year out of the water regardless of what happens now

• Like 1

Posted

Whelp, temps shot up to about 2.5C around 3 o'clockish when the skies cleared and started a small bit of a melt, but they are now rapidly plummeting so hopefully it'll freeze and stick around long enough for more tomorrow. 

Edited by Ryukai

Posted

Just had a look at the latest ICON and GFS. Several areas of snow moving down from the north. Someone could get a big dumping. I won’t get lucky for the third time in a week, will I?

Posted
4 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Just had a look at the latest ICON and GFS. Several areas of snow moving down from the north. Someone could get a big dumping. I won’t get lucky for the third time in a week, will I?

GFS has thursdays a bit west

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms
23 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

Whelp, temps shot up to about 2.5C around 3 o'clockish when the skies cleared and started a small bit of a melt, but they are now rapidly plummeting so hopefully it'll freeze and stick around long enough for more tomorrow. 

Shefali on West Mids today quoted earlier temps will "plummet" down to -1C tonight, brought a smile my face.

Posted
1 minute ago, DIS1970 said:

Shefali on West Mids today quoted earlier temps will "plummet" down to -1C tonight, brought a smile my face.

shef, oh no! cannot stand her

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
2 minutes ago, DIS1970 said:

She's a hopeless case 

Posted
7 minutes ago, DIS1970 said:

Some of the Wunderground stations near me are already showing 0C now with dewpoints at -0.3 and creeping slowly upwards, gonna be some freezing fog around soon. 

Roads already look like sparkling sheets of ice under the streetlights  

Edited by Ryukai

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

Plummet to -1 wow hardly a plummet is it