Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Mountain Rescue pleas before Winter season takes hold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Bright coloured clothing or an orange survival bag can be key. Do you know how to contact Mountain Rescue? Phone 999, ask for the POLICE and then Mountain Rescue.
nw image

Read more here

• Like 2

Posted

Good advice.  

Whilst you shouldn't rely on your phone on the hill I'd really recommend installing the What3Words app.   Allows a rescuer to locate you with a high degree of precision and has been used in any number of rescues to date.

Edited by abruzzi spartan
Typo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry
1 hour ago, abruzzi spartan said:

Good advice.  

Whilst you shouldn't rely on your phone on the hill I'd really recommend installing the What3Words app.   Allows a rescuer to locate you with a high degree of precision and has been used in any number of rescues to date.

As a coordinator of Mountain Rescues, What3Words can be useful, but is reliant on correct spelling e.g. what/watt; Where/ Wear etc. There have been some very positive uses of W3W, but there have also been a significant number of misdirections.

We will always try to use a piece of location software that uses a smartphone's GPS to give us a location within a few Metres. This is reliant on a good enough data signal, but again saves a lot of man hours in searching!

But there's no substitute for Map, Compass and headtorches, and the knowledge of how to use them. If you're going high in wintry weather, Ice axe, Crampons and again the knowledge in their use.

The Adventure Smart Website carries some useful information.

Edited by JeffC
  • Like 4

Posted

Yes Jeff I very much agree with all that.  I spotted my crampons and ice axe in the back of a cupboard today and they've gathered far too much dust in recent years!

Thank you to you and all MRTs out there for the selfless work you do on our hills.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry
On 10/12/2020 at 23:37, JeffC said:

As a coordinator of Mountain Rescues, What3Words can be useful, but is reliant on correct spelling e.g. what/watt; Where/ Wear etc. There have been some very positive uses of W3W, but there have also been a significant number of misdirections.

We will always try to use a piece of location software that uses a smartphone's GPS to give us a location within a few Metres. This is reliant on a good enough data signal, but again saves a lot of man hours in searching!

But there's no substitute for Map, Compass and headtorches, and the knowledge of how to use them. If you're going high in wintry weather, Ice axe, Crampons and again the knowledge in their use.

The Adventure Smart Website carries some useful information.

WWW.GROUGH.CO.UK

Rescuers in the Lake District said they are having to deal with...

This is my point regarding What3words... It isn't always the panacea it's suggested 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
On 10/12/2020 at 21:39, abruzzi spartan said:

Good advice.  

It can still be used without a download in emergency - more here

ramblers-logo.png
WWW.RAMBLERS.ORG.UK

The Ramblers - Britain’s walking charity working to protect and expand the places people love to walk and promote walking for health and pleasure. Walking information, advice and campaigns, walking news and...

• Like 1