Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

There's been a mix of graupel, sleet and snow in Lincoln since around 11am, none of it has settled with the temperature generally between 2.5 and 3.5C, but the Lincoln 2022/23 snow shield, as far as sleet/snow falling goes, has finally imploded.

Not expecting lying snow here tomorrow as the general consensus is for the system to track a little too far north for that - probably wet snow at 2-3C during the daytime and then staying at 2-3C and turning to rain/sleet during the evening.  Maybe if some of the heaviest snow passes over here around mid-afternoon, there could be a temporary slushy covering, but I wouldn't bet on it.  But Friday morning looks like it has potential to deliver a covering here as the Arctic air digs in while solar heating is close to its weakest.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Short and sweet we may get a few more flurries from the east later

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

Not bad for "snizzle" lol

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Weather, Car, Transportation, Vehicle, Neighborhood, Winter, Snow

• Like 6

Posted

It has been snowing on and off pretty much since sunrise. We managed a light dusting this morning but it has been a bit too warm to lay since then.

It's a cold day though, just 1.8C at the moment.

• Like 2

Posted

On and off snow in Leeds too. Looks to be a heavier patch en-route. Not expecting a covering until tomorrow. Tonight looks interesting for the south of the region, will see if it reaches Leeds (am not hopeful). Model consensus appears in line with the meto warning. Looks good for higher areas of west and south Yorkshire (decent accumulations from tomorrow and inti Friday morning). Could be more marginal at times for lower areas, but suspect everyone will see a covering or snow falling. Either way we should all see some snow in the next 48hours- shame it took until March 😄 

• Like 3

Posted

Snow/grauple showers here at the coast on and off since late morning, showers are light and its not quite cold enough to settle given the light nature of them, but there isnt a hint of any rain.

Lunchtime bike ride produced a force 3 E wind with temps at 3c, cloudy and some showers of mixed grauple and snow, felt very cold. Still pockets of snow hanging about where the sun didn't get yesterday. Given that we only had 2-3cms its certainly slow to clear. There were some really good fall streaks while I was out which I tried to photograph but they havn't really come out, only had phone camera, not my 'proper' one.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl

Amber warning issued for 15:00 Thursday till 12:00 Friday for the Pennines, includes Leeds and Sheffield.

Snow is expected to develop over northern England on Thursday morning, becoming persistent through the afternoon and overnight into early Friday morning before slowly easing. Residual impacts from snowfall are expected to persist through Friday morning. 10-20 cm of snow is expected to fall quite widely, with some places seeing 30-40 cm. Strong easterly winds are expected to accompany this snow, leading to blizzards and drifting of lying snow.

h_lnxvxlqrdqb2kyrixw3lmmul7n-abrzjuzyvzd
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Met Office UK weather warnings for rain, snow, wind, fog and ice. Choose your location to keep up to date with local weather warnings.

Warning goes all the way down to Derby and almost up to Newcastle.

Edited by cowdog
  • Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, cowdog said:

Amber warning issued for 15:00 Thursday till 12:00 Friday for the Pennines, includes Leeds and Sheffield.

WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Met Office UK weather warnings for rain, snow, wind, fog and ice. Choose your location to keep up to date with local weather warnings.

😍

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, cowdog said:

WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

i think barnsley is under that too 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Hoping I wake up to snow tomorrow so I can stay at home….

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sun, storms & ‘Oh no can’t go into work - snowed in’ days

Very light snow falling for here the last hour, which has had no impact whatsoever. Now getting more steady & low visibility but still think it’s just teasing 😜

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, RebsAbbo said:

Very light snow falling for here the last hour, which has had no impact whatsoever. Now getting more steady & low visibility but still think it’s just teasing 😜

still snowing here in SW Sheffield, over an hour now, but only settled on cars and rooftops, not sticking to the ground at all. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Crisp Cold Days

Yep knew it, Hit the Jackpot when I didn’t want it 🙈😂😂.. So happy I booked the travel lodge at Leeds Bradford airport so I can go up before 15:00 tomorrow and the start of the worst of it…

expect I’m going to have a winter wonderland night up there which is going to feel like narnia..

hoping for a massive shift south over night now 😂😂😂😂

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

AMBER

Issued: 14:31 (UTC) on Wed 8 Mar 2023

Snow is expected to develop over northern England on Thursday morning, becoming persistent through the afternoon and overnight into early Friday morning before slowly easing. Residual impacts from snowfall are expected to persist through Friday morning. 10-20 cm of snow is expected to fall quite widely, with some places seeing 30-40 cm. Strong easterly winds are expected to accompany this snow, leading to blizzards and drifting of lying snow.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - storms, tornadoes, snow

A few flakes in the breeze here now but really nothing much so far. Temp dropped by 1c in the last half hour, now 2.5c.

Anyone over near Brid/Filey, looks like you’re getting a slightly heavier bit now, any good?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms

Light, briefly moderate, snow in Barnsley with enough to put a covering on the grass and cars.  Now reverted to very light and most of the covering has melted.  Temp dropped from 2.9c to 1c but Dewpoint rose from -1.5 to -0.2c.

Edited by SouthYorks
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

Well looks like West/North and South Yorkshire are in for the jackpot tomorrow. 15-40cm in most places.

bingo! 🙂 

• Like 1

Posted

First of the 12z now out (ICON). Aligns with the Meto warning (though always take accumulations with a pinch of salt). 5 to 10cm for lower areas, favoured higher areas much more!

iconeu_uk1-46-42-0.png?08-16

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
19 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

Well looks like West/North and South Yorkshire are in for the jackpot tomorrow. 15-40cm in most places.

Just got in from work and wow,...i didn't expect this snowfall today and much further north than suggested yesterday

still snowing and settling now and it looks on for a few hours yet,..ppn on the increase from the E/SE

and an amber warning for tomorrow into Friday,...it's about freaking time we hit the jackpot👌

should be fun coming home from work tomorrow afternoon to test my new mokka 4x4 out😳

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, Mark Bayley said:

First of the 12z now out (ICON). Aligns with the Meto warning (though always take accumulations with a pinch of salt). 5 to 10cm for lower areas, favoured higher areas much more!

iconeu_uk1-46-42-0.png?08-16

My only grape about charts like that is it shows a very sharp decline in snow away from Pennine areas.. I would hate for it to be snowing like mad in cookridge (where i tried to buy a house last summer) but be in a snow shaddow here in Kippax, that woul really suck lol.. Last bbc shoed it ramping up over most yorkshire thursday evening though! 

• Like 1

Posted

Closely followed by the GFS. Brings the snow south a bit but not enough to worry us. A little less intense too, but aligns with the ICON in regards amount. Again, take with a pinch of salt these sorts of graphics. The main point is it shows snow for much of our region from mid day tomorrow until Friday morning, with varying intensity, and would align with the meto orange warning. 

gfseuw-16-42.png?12 

• Like 2