Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

That's some big old totals they're forecasting for tomorrow, my main worry is that met office snow warnings are always wrong for here! Anyway, i'm bang on the Eastern border of the Amber, suspect anywhere west of the Vale of York (i.e. West of about Tadcaster) will do well if it goes down as expected. Incidentally, am I missing something, I went to bed last night expecting a clear sunny day today, but it's been snowing lightly for the past several hours! How can the forecast change so dramatically in the spade of 12 hours? That's the thing that's keeping me from getting too giddy about tomorrow's blizzard forecast! 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

Just got in from work and wow,...i didn't expect this snowfall today and much further north than suggested yesterday

still snowing and settling now and it looks on for a few hours yet,..ppn on the increase from the E/SE

and an amber warning for tomorrow into Friday,...it's about freaking time we hit the jackpot👌

should be fun coming home from work tomorrow afternoon to test my new mokka 4x4 out😳

We have an old mokka nice car but probably be crap in snow lol. Bet ya mokka 4x4 is sick mate 👌

• Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

My only grape about charts like that is it shows a very sharp decline in snow away from Pennine areas.. I would hate for it to be snowing like mad in cookridge (where i tried to buy a house last summer) but be in a snow shaddow here in Kippax, that woul really suck lol.. Last bbc shoed it ramping up over most yorkshire thursday evening though! 

I wouldn't worry, i am in Roundhay and hope to do rather well. Hills will always do best! The main point is it shows snow from Thursday afternoon to Friday morning!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
59 minutes ago, LeeSnowFan said:

i think barnsley is under that too 

Deffinately,...😀

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)
1 minute ago, Allseasons-si said:

Deffinately,...😀

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Luckily I'm West Maltby so I'm saying I'm in it 😂😂😂

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

B eginning to stop here been melting as fast it fell for the last few hours so a dusting. Shows the effect of relative warm ground and probable polutants in the snow. The question for tomorrow how far north will tomorrows low go.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Mark Bayley said:

I wouldn't worry, i am in Roundhay and hope to do rather well. Hills will always do best! The main point is it shows snow from Thursday afternoon to Friday morning!

Ye, maybe those precipitation charts are just overemphasizing how much the pennines are gunna get and nothing to worry about.

And while I've lived in kippax I've noticed snow totals between here and Ilkley haven't been much different to be honest.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder
8 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

My only grape about charts like that is it shows a very sharp decline in snow away from Pennine areas.. I would hate for it to be snowing like mad in cookridge (where i tried to buy a house last summer) but be in a snow shaddow here in Kippax, that woul really suck lol.. Last bbc shoed it ramping up over most yorkshire thursday evening though! 

I think we'll be fine if it turns out as they're expecting... The Amber warning splits Garforth in half, but past experience tells me that the rise/fall in elevation just east of the A1 is where any accumulation drop-off will occur. There certainly won't be any snow shadow in Kippax with an easterly, if anything its the opposite in an easterly, with our area marking the start of the rise in elevation between the Vale of York and the pennines. Everything to the east of the A1 is barely above sea level until you hit the Wolds. 

Edited by bazookabob
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow ❄️ / Thunderstorms ⛈

What Doncaster like for snow tonight and tomorrow and Friday 

Posted

I'm supposed to be working in Matlock tomorrow and Friday, don't think that'll be happening! 

Posted
1 minute ago, bazookabob said:

I think we'll be fine if it turns out as they're expecting... The Amber warning splits Garforth in half, but past experience tells me that the rise/fall in elevation just east of the A1 is where any accumulation drop-off will occur. There certainly won't be any snow shadow in Kippax with an easterly, if anything its the opposite in an easterly, with our area marking the start of the rise in elevation between the Vale of your and the pennines. Everything to the east of the A1 is barely above sea level until you hit the Wolds. 

Cheers that puts me a little more at ease. Sounds like you know ya stuff about your locality in certain weather scenarios, can't beat local knowledge!

• Like 1

Posted

Latest ICON,..could get a few rounds over the coming days...

animanv3.thumb.gif.c47a4fefb8de29f594823f1dcd081015.gif

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love snow

Ahhh it’s showing as rain my side tomorrow really hope it doesn’t rain 🙈🙈🙏🙏

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Automated Met forecast showing heavy snow here from 9am Thursday to 9am Friday 😮

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Yes, with each set of runs it's looking more and more likely that at least some of us will see more snow over the weekend, as the models are most likely being too progressive in pushing away the blocking high to the north-west and lows keep being corrected further south as we get near the time.  This ICON shows the most widespread snow from it that I've seen so far.

South and west Yorkshire away from the coast still looks to be the prime area tomorrow I reckon.  The slight southward shift on the GFS 12Z puts Lincoln right on the predicted rain/snow boundary between 18Z and 00Z on Thursday/Friday with temperatures hovering around 1-2C.  Meanwhile, it's back to sleeting and snowing here but not settling.

Posted
14 minutes ago, The PIT said:

B eginning to stop here been melting as fast it fell for the last few hours so a dusting. Shows the effect of relative warm ground and probable polutants in the snow. The question for tomorrow how far north will tomorrows low go.

Indeed, i still think a slight risk areas in North Yorkshire might miss the heavier precipitation, but model consensus so far is the milder air shouldn't reach South Yorkshire and most of our region should see precipitation. Agreed with TWS that higher areas of South and West Yorkshire look prime!

Posted

7 minutes ago, cheese said:

Automated Met forecast showing heavy snow here from 9am Thursday to 9am Friday 😮

Same for my area south of Sheffield. It also says -9 on Friday night which feels like overkill on its part! - it does look like it'll be a bitterly cold night over the snow fields though

Edited by adrianh

Posted
6 minutes ago, cheese said:

mine showing 7am tomorrow to 9am friday! hmmm 

Posted

Tomorrow's beast forming nicely in the Atlantic, bang in line with Yorkshire! 😛

Just wait till it pulls all that moisture in from the North Sea late tomorrow on its Northern flank, as winds strengthen from the East.

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Storm, Hurricane, Person

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
53 minutes ago, Cold Winter said:

A few flakes in the breeze here now but really nothing much so far. Temp dropped by 1c in the last half hour, now 2.5c.

Anyone over near Brid/Filey, looks like you’re getting a slightly heavier bit now, any good?

I am at work nr Bridlington, we had a brief graupel/sleet shower about 45mins ago, amounted to nothing,

Posted

Currently white out conditions as i type,...wind picking up too

and settling instantly,...whoo hoo😊

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heat and cold, storms and blizzards...zonal a no no

Well that was a day of surprises.. considering we were meant to be virtually dry all day. great to see the updates to Amber warnings as well. 

Been in York earlire today and was pleasantly surprised to see it snowing.. couldn`t wait to get back home to look at radar... Meant to be In Wombwell, South Yorks this evening around 9.30pm for an hour or so..( work reasons) .. im wondering whether or not to bother

Plenty of snow chances to follow after tomorrow/fri humdinger as well. 

I was actually wondering it the low on Monday had any chance of correcting south? 

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, OutdoorsCould contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Map, Atlas, Diagram

What do you lovely people think! 

Posted

A short clip,...the road and paths was clear 5 mins before this...

• Like 2