Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 December 2020 onwards

cheshire snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Well it had to happen.

The Amber warning posted on the MOD thread, has been cleansed. 

Edited by Had Worse
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog
9 minutes ago, Mark88 said:

You're right - it is surprising as you say what that altitude can do - it's just with our numbers being so small Madrid got pasted a few weeks back but it's like 800m asl... we go from rain to snow up a slight incline haha. At least winter hill will look good anyway I have a good view of it from near mine  

Winter hill is in my back yard

• Like 1

Posted

Current 850hpaT

image.thumb.png.32eb8bd672ddaae90c86203574bc5b08.png

Current Dew point T

image.thumb.png.6748138488d4d9c0eadf455ab7610161.png

According to NetWeather radar, should be an interesting night to see what happens. 

• Like 1

Posted

just out of the amber, in yellow for snow but Met Office app says one hour of snow the rest sleet or rain, hardly worth even a yellow. Not staying up late tonight. 1191015643_Screenshot_20210201-221635_MetOffice.thumb.jpg.62f962403b030e28d025aec0f9010ded.jpg

Screenshot_20210201-221619_Met Office.jpg

Posted
1 minute ago, jam2010 said:

just out of the amber, in yellow for snow but Met Office app says one hour of snow the rest sleet or rain, hardly worth even a yellow. Not staying up late tonight. 1191015643_Screenshot_20210201-221635_MetOffice.thumb.jpg.62f962403b030e28d025aec0f9010ded.jpg

Screenshot_20210201-221619_Met Office.jpg

I'm in the amber and yet mine says sleet - rain ... but not taking much notice of the Met..  just hoping and going for Nowcast.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, SnowWatcher2 said:

I'm in the amber and yet mine says sleet - rain ... but not taking much notice of the Met..  just hoping and going for Nowcast.

True, look what happened with storm christohph or what ever the name was, they did not call the back edge snow. Odd isn't it there own forecasts don't match the warning ha. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow.

I shall be opening the curtains seeing what it's doing to see if it shall be a car or a walk to work  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Beeb Graphics has the battleground over the NW So Met concerns giving the Amber for a stall? 
8288A125-DDAC-472B-9B1C-09D3CE20C8BD.thumb.jpeg.a9acf315ff92a7e8fc8e44ba988b0d7f.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, jam2010 said:

True, look what happened with storm christohph or what ever the name was, they did not call the back edge snow. Odd isn't it there own forecasts don't match the warning ha. 

Yea its all over the place with their forecasting at moment, only 2 updates ago the temps where 2C higher than what its forecast to be now, symbols been changing by the hour. Reckon we'll get few hours heavy snow then rain/ice pellets... then snow then rain.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Yea its all over the place with their forecasting at moment, only 2 updates ago the temps where 2C higher than what its forecast to be now, symbols been changing by the hour. Reckon we'll get few hours heavy snow then rain/ice pellets... then snow then rain.

Hi mate, back on phone. Could you possibly post the 18z snow charts about 160 to 170 from WX, I'd like to see how snowy they are? Thanks.

Posted
7 minutes ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

Beeb Graphics has the battleground over the NW So Met concerns giving the Amber for a stall? 
8288A125-DDAC-472B-9B1C-09D3CE20C8BD.thumb.jpeg.a9acf315ff92a7e8fc8e44ba988b0d7f.jpeg

The Wirral nice and yellow but good luck

Posted
6 minutes ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

Remember the beeb graphics are based on the ECM model so that dividing line could be very marginally different. 

Either way, for everyone, its a snow to rain event but can it be the case for those on higher ground and further north, it will be mostly all snow with just a bit of backedge rain/sleet. 

Posted
39 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Haha also +80 inches snow in sierras in California from storm last week wonder what puxatawny phil going to predict tomorrow 

Seen some videos of that phenomenal. Storm is currently somewhere near the west coast of America, I imagine the Atlantic would kill it on the way here. 

Anyway just looked on MetO - if it comes up this may be the biggest late upgrade I've seen gone from an hour or two of snow and a hour of rain and  sleety from 3am to 7am to 8 hours of snow with 5 of those heavy snow from 2am to 10am.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

Hi mate, back on phone. Could you possibly post the 18z snow charts about 160 to 170 from WX, I'd like to see how snowy they are? Thanks.

image.thumb.png.2609e6771f599305016c3a004e497155.pngimage.thumb.png.0a736cd68d30a7f1c16a0e65e89ecbf5.png

image.thumb.png.89cd07a405e0919ad55a5df694584234.pngimage.thumb.png.58f8aeacfacc5c0b56bb40f754e9bbc8.png

That what you after mate?

• Like 1

Posted

image.thumb.png.2609e6771f599305016c3a004e497155.pngimage.thumb.png.0a736cd68d30a7f1c16a0e65e89ecbf5.png

image.thumb.png.89cd07a405e0919ad55a5df694584234.pngimage.thumb.png.58f8aeacfacc5c0b56bb40f754e9bbc8.png

That what you after mate?

Brill thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms
3 minutes ago, Frosty the Snowman said:

Seen some videos of that phenomenal. Storm is currently somewhere near the west coast of America, I imagine the Atlantic would kill it on the way here. 

Anyway just looked on MetO - if it comes up this may be the biggest late upgrade I've seen gone from an hour or two of snow and a hour of rain and  sleety from 3am to 7am to 8 hours of snow with 5 of those heavy snow from 2am to 10am.

How do you get eight symbols of snow while Chorley only few miles down the road only get one sleet symbol?! Bizzare.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Frosty the Snowman said:

Your lower in elevation and closer to the coast? 

I never quite get why being close to the coast should have anything to do with it because of the offshore winds but it must do a little bit because in the last snow event, we had falling snow but very little lying yet travelling even oust a mile or two away from the coast, the snow on the ground was getting more and more obvious. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms
15 minutes ago, Frosty the Snowman said:

Your lower in elevation and closer to the coast? 

I think thats the reason. Sadly. But the wind direction seems to be in favor for snow here. It is a cold direction from the Pennines.  Just have to wait and see.

Edited by pip22

Posted
1 minute ago, Geordiesnow said:

I never quite get why being close to the coast should have anything to do with it because of the offshore winds but it must do a little bit because in the last snow event, we had falling snow but very little lying yet travelling even oust a mile or two away from the coast, the snow on the ground was getting more and more obvious. 

I think there's a good metereology reason but I don't know it myself. Closer to lose will often be lower asl though so might be more that 

Just now, pip22 said:

I think thats the reason. Sadly.

Tbf with the mets track record I'd be jumping for joy and feinting with surprise if I actually got 8 hours of snow but it points in the right direction  I can't see your height above sea as on phone but think someone in Chorley had 60m down, that and 200m will be completely different