Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion Jan 2021 Onward

#windysnow#

Posted

Had the gritter go past the house 30 mins ago lol Useless waste is useless, typical for our council though.   

Edited by Ryukai
  • Like 1

Posted
30 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

Had the gritter go past the house 30 mins ago lol Useless waste is useless, typical for our council though.   

Gritting for 2 inches of rain seems an odd one.

• Like 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Gritting for 2 inches of rain seems an odd one.

They've been gritting around Longton too  

https://www.stoke.gov.uk/homepage/116/wheres_my_gritter 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

I see the the Amber warning from the METO has been extended to cover more of the Midlands.

Screenshot_20210118_140445_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.1fc9e144039e755f1ce149aae7bc04b2.jpg

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
14 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

I see the the Amber warning from the METO has been extended to cover more of the Midlands.

Screenshot_20210118_140445_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.1fc9e144039e755f1ce149aae7bc04b2.jpg

Some of the highest amounts being  modelled (away from high ground) are over my way but we only have a yellow warning. Maybe river levels are higher further east.

Edited by MattStoke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold

Glad today was a day without rain til tonight.

Not looking forward to rest of week getting soaked but alas that is what we get in this country.

Things don't look promising at the moment this winter. Looking for scraps really.

Maybe February will give us more chances will see, But will not be as invested in the models as I was earlier this month with the promising Neverland charts.

I personally will not be paying any interest to any event this week which will most likely be let down again or very brief in nature.

Keep the faith

5.7c 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Sun is poking out here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 minutes ago, Eskimo said:

Sun is poking out here!

was never going to be that wet today, tonight I think

Posted

rain band on its way now  going to be a wet few days   Arperge   Arome showing snow for Tursday morning   not sure im up for another chase

Edited by weirpig
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, weirpig said:

rain band on its way now  going to be a wet few days   Arperge   Arome showing snow for Tursday morning   not sure im up for another chase

snow chances on some models Sat and Sun, but GFS 12Z is pants, misses us on Sat, Sunday snow to rain, Tuesday's snow off

Posted

Winds starting to touch gale force here, Rain throughout the day with some very heavy bouts. Pretty rough ouside as I type..

Posted
2 hours ago, MattStoke said:

One last day of this horrid mild and unrelenting rain. May see a bit of back edge snow before the system clears away.

1C26F309-22EA-4C59-A7AE-815A47100C80.jpeg

400E3827-04F6-4F4B-A6DA-D195616E4199.jpeg

Hasnt been a total washout here, but i get that further north and west things have been treacherous and theres a danger to properties and communities in rural parts of north wales/nw england. Stay safe everyone!

Posted

Every model actually has several cm of snow for the North West Midlands late tonight. Given how warm the ground will be, I think it’s unlikely. One to watch though.

Some models bring through at least one feature across the Midlands during the weekend. Another one to watch.

The continual risk of wintry showers in between.

Posted
4 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Every model actually has several cm of snow for the North West Midlands late tonight. Given how warm the ground will be, I think it’s unlikely. One to watch though.

Some models bring through at least one feature across the Midlands during the weekend. Another one to watch.

The continual risk of wintry showers in between.

can see tonight only being high ground, Saturday too far south, Sun better chance, Tues 26th iffy

Posted
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

can see tonight only being high ground, Saturday too far south, Sun better chance, Tues 26th iffy

Some wintry showers through the Cheshire Gap at times. Maybe some settling snow by night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Certainly a chance of a fairly brief spell of very wet snow on the back edge of the precipitation band as the colder air undercuts when the low's circulation tightens up. 

Any snowfall likely to come from evaporative cooling as I think any surface conditions (ie. dew points) are still the wrong side of marginal so it will depend on how heavy any precipitation is over your location. Settling snow will be harder due to relatively warm ground temperatures, however snow will settle on vegetation if it's particularly heavy (therefore no risk to public safety).  

Highest risk being Shropshire hills and Peak District (ie. anywhere above 300m) - inline with 0C isotherm as the front moves through. 

image.thumb.png.da723adb648ed3cde13c0e036508713d.pngimage.thumb.png.0d370415d6424f87d7fce5444807220f.png

Edited by Eskimo
  • Like 1

Posted

Met Office updated rain warning mentions rain turning to snow before the system clears. 1-4cm in places, with more over high ground.

37C43BC8-E7B3-48A6-AF3D-4321A852A253.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

I think the WRF NMM has been on the sherry methinks  the 12z output will be interesting in seeing how things are developing for later this evening

Edited by Dancerwithwings