Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Weather Discussion January 2021 onwards

Blessed Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

pretty much has snow all the way to 11pm last night, however you wouldn't of know, maybe a few MM on a car. But lovely to see.

Not having to go anywhere today is nice, worst thing about snow is when it melts and freezes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
44 minutes ago, Sparky68 said:

Hampton ?

That is correct. The main road is still fairly snow covered, though it will hopefully be clear by the time I need to go to work.

Meanwhile, scores on the doors for yesterday...

The Midlands (Especially on the hills) were the big winners.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 5

Posted
11 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

That is correct. The main road is still fairly snow covered, though it will hopefully be clear by the time I need to go to work.

Look at that chart and how all the S and SE coasts missed out and just had rain,frustrating or what.

This winter looks a bust down here now, like the chances of deep cold easterly receding again.

Bring on the spring warm sunshine at least.

• Like 4

Posted
23 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Makes me feel a bit better when you see it like that. The vast majority of our region in terms of area, actually missed out completely!...rare to see London do better than most other places. The onshore flow completely killed it for the South and East of our region. Southend jumped from around -3c to +4c in about 3 hours. What a messed up winter this is turning out to be.

Edited by Southender
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
8 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

Look at that chart and how all the S and SE coasts missed out and just had rain,frustrating or what.

This winter looks a bust down here now, like the chances of deep cold easterly receding again.

Bring on the spring warm sunshine at least.

Very frustrating, unfortunately it wasn’t a classic BFTE event, which would have seen most of those areas that missed out get the most snow, as has happened numerous times in the past.

Bit bold to be calling this winter a bust yet, imho. A good 5-6 weeks where proper cold/snow could still occur. It ain’t over yet

• Like 2

Posted

The only solid precipitation I observed this weekend was a shower of small hail at 0730 am. Missed out once again.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings
1 hour ago, Captain Shortwave said:

A1 was horrendous this morning towards Black Cat . Pulled out to overtake a lorry , drifted for about 20 yards and then pulled back in!

15cm is pretty good , think we managed about 5cm in Huntingdon

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
1 hour ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Thanks! Not entirely accurate though, Parts of east London showing 0cm there and a 1cm over my part of London, when we actually got about 3/4cm's. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Beautiful, cold morning here in Chingford, NE London with some snow still laying on many surfaces even now - grass still mostly covered, pavements partly covered, most roofs out of the sun. The car was frozen solid this morning. 

Glad that whatever we had last night still largely remains intact even at 11am. Much of what we had yesterday melted in the evening, but what we have left still looks great out in the sunshine.

54113EE9-B13F-4A89-A0A1-B10E907ED82E.thumb.jpeg.a5ebaa4d0c55c518e695267a77d6169d.jpeg

BCFEA7AD-8188-4E00-8668-386BA4B8A37B.thumb.jpeg.d73a2db41651cc9520944e310040888d.jpeg

6ABC1742-02B7-42E8-A899-F1B7E87D1F77.thumb.jpeg.27cf366dff258dca196e2e1664b2d37e.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Nice bright deep blue sky, and 7c. You'd think it was summer just looking out the window.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!

Great pictures all round. 

Cracking day here in Chelmsford after an abysmal day yesterday. Unbroken sunshine and even feels warm on the face. 

I'd gladly take this on repeat until Spring. 

Stay safe on the ice rinks in the affected areas! 

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Probably got about 6 weeks left until what I call the cut off point for the SE around the 15th March before we start to see it very hard for sustained cold and snow to keep itself on the ground much more than a few hours before melting away in strong sunshine and with the next few weeks probably in the bin already a quick sum up of this winter for SE Essex and probably most of Kent and Coastal Sussex, Suffolk and Norfolk.

8 Ground or Air Frost

1 Graupel Shower for 5 minutes

Winter 19/20 and Winter 18/19 had hardly any frosts and no wintry precipitation as well so am quite confident now we will be staring 46 months of no snow cover in the face by the time Dec 2021 comes around and I can see why the Met Office are stating that snowy winters will become a rarity in the future but I would bring their timescales much further forward than 2040 looking at how things are rapidly changing for parts of the Uk. 

So happy some got deep enough snow to enjoy it yesterday and for it to still be on the ground today though as these will become ever rarer in years to come. Maybe time to move to a much more favourable country if its snow you are after in the coming decades.

Models yesterday also as others have stated were hopeless with the Stall Line some 100 miles further North than most stated, remember some as late as Friday had this system in the Channel, most had the stall line around the London area, none had the stall line across Rutland into the Midlands. 

Going to take a break from Model watching for the next few weeks and have enjoyed the banter on here again this year, will pop back in as the Spring and Summer warmth ramps up the convection and once the first Spanish Plume is forecasted am sure all the usual suspects will be on here then watching the Lightning maps in the Bay of Biscay.

Stay safe all and lets hope we all get let out soon

See you in a couple of weeks when the beast from Yakutsk shows it’s head ❄️ 

Wishful thinking of course

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
3 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Very frustrating, unfortunately it wasn’t a classic BFTE event, which would have seen most of those areas that missed out get the most snow, as has happened numerous times in the past.

Bit bold to be calling this winter a bust yet, imho. A good 5-6 weeks where proper cold/snow could still occur. It ain’t over yet

I did get s little snow over night lol, that streamer put a very light dusting down. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, danm said:

Thanks! Not entirely accurate though, Parts of east London showing 0cm there and a 1cm over my part of London, when we actually got about 3/4cm's. 

Dan Holly asked people to post their measures on a twitter post last night. Think he is going by that.

Winter so far for me out of 10 will go down as a 7 so far.. 

Lost count of the frosts from end of October 

Freezing fog days 7+ 

Falling snow 3 days 

Really I've had my snow fix now and wanting the longer days and sunshine.. 

Could summer 2021 be the 4th consecutive year we breach 35c here?! 

Edited by Surrey
  • Like 3

Posted

wierdly we seen more snow in March in the last 10 years,so maybe not the time to write of snow chances yet

Still being mocked in the yorkshire thread I see,very strange why they care what we get here or not

Edited by SLEETY
  • Like 3

Posted
20 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Probably got about 6 weeks left until what I call the cut off point for the SE around the 15th March before we start to see it very hard for sustained cold and snow to keep itself on the ground much more than a few hours before melting away in strong sunshine and with the next few weeks probably in the bin already a quick sum up of this winter for SE Essex and probably most of Kent and Coastal Sussex, Suffolk and Norfolk.

8 Ground or Air Frost

1 Graupel Shower for 5 minutes

Winter 19/20 and Winter 18/19 had hardly any frosts and no wintry precipitation as well so am quite confident now we will be staring 46 months of no snow cover in the face by the time Dec 2021 comes around and I can see why the Met Office are stating that snowy winters will become a rarity in the future but I would bring their timescales much further forward than 2040 looking at how things are rapidly changing for parts of the Uk. 

So happy some got deep enough snow to enjoy it yesterday and for it to still be on the ground today though as these will become ever rarer in years to come. Maybe time to move to a much more favourable country if its snow you are after in the coming decades.

Models yesterday also as others have stated were hopeless with the Stall Line some 100 miles further North than most stated, remember some as late as Friday had this system in the Channel, most had the stall line around the London area, none had the stall line across Rutland into the Midlands. 

Going to take a break from Model watching for the next few weeks and have enjoyed the banter on here again this year, will pop back in as the Spring and Summer warmth ramps up the convection and once the first Spanish Plume is forecasted am sure all the usual suspects will be on here then watching the Lightning maps in the Bay of Biscay.

Stay safe all and lets hope we all get let out soon

Last night showed streamers at least for se Kent now work, so hopefully next easterly draw more will be in the game. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Last night showed streamers at least for se Kent now work, so hopefully next easterly draw more will be in the game. Fingers crossed.

There was evidence of some snow here overnight. Not talking much, but a bit like someone shaking some sugar. Read on twitter that next weekend could be a similar run to this one? No thanks. 

Also, this made me chuckle...why use one chart for early Feb!! haha 

WWW.BRISTOLPOST.CO.UK

Long range forecasts suggest snow across the south of England

• Like 1