Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
13 hours ago, A Face like Thunder said:

It seems we missed the storms further south and west last night in Staffs and Shropshire. A nice morning here anyway which bodes well for our church outdoor cafe which re-opens this lunchtime for the first time since March 2020.

March 2020 feels like a century ago. It feels like we’ve been in this pandemic forever. It’s only been 15 months feels more like 15 years to me.

6 hours ago, iand61 said:

Just got back from 5 days away, the first 4 of them down south and the weather could be best described as mixed.

Not been great here tbh. Not much rain but not much sun either. Very cool and sunless on Wednesday and Friday.

6 hours ago, iand61 said:

Looks like the same pattern over the next few days as well with the north getting the better conditions while our friends in the south get another of their fabled Southerly tracking lows which seem to be arriving like buses at the moment.

The weather pattern seems to get stuck for a while before it changes. I’ve noticed that. Things are a lot less mobile now.

Posted
3 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Regional rainfall stats are interesting at the moment, we are still below the June 2018 rainfall total.

A very wet month sandwich between two very dry ones. 

Yes rainfall stats like temp stats yo yoing this year. Here we've had very wet March very dry Apri wet May very dry June...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Hope the forecast of a dry day comes off as there are certainly a lot of threatening clouds about at the moment.

• Like 2

Posted

So far 35.1mm up here this June.

Our 50yr average for June is 100.8 mm

Driest 21.8 mm in 1992

Wettest 213 mm in 2012.

Was brilliantly sunny early this morning, now clouded over.   East breeze.

Biting clegs / horse flies are looking for victims near long vegetation.     Usually a sign of  humidity and sultry conditions or even rain to come.

• Like 5

Posted

A cloudy morning, looks like it wants to brighten one minute but then dulls over.. Yesterday brought same conditions, but brightened up late afternoon leaving a very sunny pleasant evening.

Expecting a sunny warm end to June, ending what will do down as a very good June all round, but no real warmth at any stage at least here. Still waiting for our first 25 degrees of the season.. not too unusual, but in a number of years May has produced such highs.. Normally see it by middle of July. 

• Like 5

Posted

Strange day...when it suddenly clouds over and blustery winds pick up, you're left wondering why you have your shorts and T-shirt on... when the sun pops back out and the winds die down, you are reminded why.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

It looks like the cloud is being a bit stubborn across the region and here at least, the sun is in short supply but compared to what is forecast for much of the south, I’ll take it.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
48 minutes ago, iand61 said:

It looks like the cloud is being a bit stubborn across the region and here at least, the sun is in short supply but compared to what is forecast for much of the south, I’ll take it.

I just hope we don't end up in no man's land over the next few days. With Scotland sunny and warm, down south wet and us sandwiched in the middle with cloudy day like today. But at least it's dry....for now.

• Like 5

Posted
6 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

I just hope we don't end up in no man's land over the next few days. With Scotland sunny and warm, down south wet and us sandwiched in the middle with cloudy day like today. But at least it's dry....for now.

Yeah it looks like for our region, North Lancs and the Lakes are best positioned over the coming few days with the rest of us in that will it won’t it position.

• Like 4

Posted
15 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Yeah it looks like for our region, North Lancs and the Lakes are best positioned over the coming few days with the rest of us in that will it won’t it position.

Yes sunny spells and alot of cloud could be the end product. Temps not very inspiring either, very average. Northern parts and coastal areas could see more sunshine and temps may creep up to 23 degrees as we enter July. Could be better could be a far lot worse. 7 out of 10.

• Like 4

Posted

Just got back from a couple of hours walk and with plenty of cloud and little in the way of sunshine, it was a bit on the coolish side.

On the plus side though, no problem with any of these adding their bit to the national grid.

34F20814-E461-46D5-A39B-D8062D5C84A6.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted

Blustery day of mostly cloud and fleeting sun. Blue skies been threatening to break for a while and now we have a mostly sunny sky, at least for the time being. Temp nudging up to 20c, very warm in the sun. Lovely. 

20210627_164713.jpg

• Like 6

Posted

Not a glimpse of sun here. Just cloud cloud cloud cloud cloud cloud cloud cloud and more cloud. I’m getting really frustrated and down at the cloud at the moment. It’s not just thin cloud either its proper thick cloud which makes for a gloomy and depressing day. I just can’t understand why it’s been so cloudy here at the moment while other parts of the region are getting at least some sunshine. 

The wind direction makes no difference either. North-easterly? Cloud. Easterly? Cloud. Westerly? Cloud. South-westerly? Cloud. Northerly? Cloud. North westerly? Cloud. ☁️ Sick of it.

I check my BBC Weather app every morning hoping for sunshine. And all I get is light cloud, light cloud, light cloud, light cloud, light rain, light cloud, light cloud, sunny intervals, light cloud, light cloud, light cloud. In reality most of those days where it says “light cloud” end up being thick cloud. 

My ideal week is this: ⛅️????☀️?

But all I get is this: ☁️☁️?☁️☁️⛅☁️

we had such a good start to the month as well with loads of sunshine and warm weather  (And although it’s been very dry it’s just pointless when it’s so cloudy) But the second half of the month has just been so disappointing with very little sunshine and so much cloud. The temperatures haven’t been too bad it’s just been the cloud has been the issue. I don’t mind temps in the high teens if the Sun is out but temps in the mid-high teens and thick cloud is not my idea of summer.

tomorrow forecast to be another miserable cloudy day here. The rest of the week looks better for sunshine thankfully though.

this is turning into a really lacklustre month for me. Not much rain. Not much sun. Not much heat. No thunder. Not much of anything. What a drab and dreary start to the summer.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
5 hours ago, iand61 said:

Just got back from a couple of hours walk and with plenty of cloud and little in the way of sunshine, it was a bit on the coolish side.

On the plus side though, no problem with any of these adding their bit to the national grid.

34F20814-E461-46D5-A39B-D8062D5C84A6.jpeg

Ugh, what an ugly monstrosity. Their power output is minimal and they ruin the countryside. They also kill birds surprisingly.

7 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

God I really hope not. Nothing more miserable than a gloomy day in the middle of summer. It’s just so pointless. You look at the clouds and think why is it so cloudy but no rain? Where is all this cloud coming from? I’d rather have the rain. At least it would be more interesting and eventful. And provide the rain for the garden.

8 hours ago, A Face like Thunder said:

Still dry here at the moment but no sun since 7.30am and quite gloomy.

Same here. What a waste having it sunny 5-7 am when barely anyone is awake and having thick cloud and gloom for the rest of the day. Mother Nature does take the mick sometimes. 

9 hours ago, dodge said:

Strange day...when it suddenly clouds over and blustery winds pick up, you're left wondering why you have your shorts and T-shirt on... when the sun pops back out and the winds die down, you are reminded why.

You’re lucky. At least you’ve had something of interest and some variability in the weather. Here it’s just been gloomy with light winds all day. Not cold enough for a coat. Not warm enough for a T-shirt. The most boring conditions imaginable.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Yep been a pretty boring month of weather. I’ve always maintained that the Azores ridge brings us the most boring weather possible. Much prefer HP to the E as at least we get plume/storm potential, even if it is uncomfortably warm!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
11 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Not a glimpse of sun here. Just cloud cloud cloud cloud cloud cloud cloud cloud and more cloud. I’m getting really frustrated and down at the cloud at the moment. It’s not just thin cloud either its proper thick cloud which makes for a gloomy and depressing day. I just can’t understand why it’s been so cloudy here at the moment while other parts of the region are getting at least some sunshine. 

The wind direction makes no difference either. North-easterly? Cloud. Easterly? Cloud. Westerly? Cloud. South-westerly? Cloud. Northerly? Cloud. North westerly? Cloud. ☁️ Sick of it.

I check my BBC Weather app every morning hoping for sunshine. And all I get is light cloud, light cloud, light cloud, light cloud, light rain, light cloud, light cloud, sunny intervals, light cloud, light cloud, light cloud. In reality most of those days where it says “light cloud” end up being thick cloud. 

My ideal week is this: ⛅️????☀️?

But all I get is this: ☁️☁️?☁️☁️⛅☁️

we had such a good start to the month as well with loads of sunshine and warm weather  (And although it’s been very dry it’s just pointless when it’s so cloudy) But the second half of the month has just been so disappointing with very little sunshine and so much cloud. The temperatures haven’t been too bad it’s just been the cloud has been the issue. I don’t mind temps in the high teens if the Sun is out but temps in the mid-high teens and thick cloud is not my idea of summer.

tomorrow forecast to be another miserable cloudy day here. The rest of the week looks better for sunshine thankfully though.

this is turning into a really lacklustre month for me. Not much rain. Not much sun. Not much heat. No thunder. Not much of anything. What a drab and dreary start to the summer.

I agree weather is somewhat benign with predominantly cloudy days at present, but at least it's been mostly dry though, so decent for getting out and about. Today seems to be yet another day when we have missed rain by a whisker.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Interesting clouds

20210628_105811.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Looks like NW England and the Dales hogging the best of summer weather again today. Most of the top ten in temps are currently in the region , including Shap  at No 10 ! 

Northwest gain is SE pain and long may it stay ! Looks like heading for another dry month for you lot .

C

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Another dull miserable day today. Not cold though so that's the only positive.

• Like 4

Posted

Thats a shame. You must be located on the periphery of the cloud sheet. I know my friends near to Skipton and The Dales are having a nice sunny day as indicated by the latest SAT.

C

SAT_1_202106281330_407.jpg

Edited by carinthian
  • Like 3

Posted
3 hours ago, carinthian said:

Looks like NW England and the Dales hogging the best of summer weather again today. Most of the top ten in temps are currently in the region , including Shap  at No 10 ! 

Northwest gain is SE pain and long may it stay ! Looks like heading for another dry month for you lot .

C

Keswick currently warmest place in England.

• Like 3