Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, Aphelion369 said:

Perceptions have obviously been skewed and distorted by the last few summers, particularly here in London and the Southeast, to the point that some people have almost come to expect +35C temperatures every year. The average annual max at Heathrow, for example, for the last five summers is around 35.5C! So when these temps don’t materialise for just one summer, bitter disappointment naturally ensues and all sense of proportion goes out of the window. Admittedly, rainfall amounts have indeed been a bit high and sunshine on the low side, which no doubt adds to the general impression of gloominess. 

No one is expecting temperatures of 35°C every summer, I’ve not seen any comments alluding to this. You can try to polish a turd, but it remains a turd, for much of the south of the country. Not so further north.

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

No one is expecting temperatures of 35°C every summer, I’ve not seen any comments alluding to this. You can try to polish a turd, but it remains a turd, for much of the south of the country. Not so further north.

I wasn’t referring to comments on this thread specifically, where people tend to be more educated about climate anyway, but more broadly to expectations from the general public as can be seen from the reactions in both the traditional and social media. As I said, after the last few summers with multiple instances of temps over 35C plus well above average sunshine amounts in the southeast in particular, it isn’t surprising that this has raised expectations for what British summers “ought to be” when a bit of historical context/ long term averages, tells us otherwise. 

• Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, Aphelion369 said:

I wasn’t referring to comments on this thread specifically, where people tend to be more educated about climate anyway, but more broadly to expectations from the general public as can be seen from the reactions in both the traditional and social media. As I said, after the last few summers with multiple instances of temps over 35C plus well above average sunshine amounts in the southeast in particular, it isn’t surprising that this has raised expectations for what British summers “ought to be” when a bit of historical context/ long term averages, tells us otherwise. 

How can you be surprised?

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Daniel* said:

How can you be surprised?

What do mean “how can you be surprised”?

I actually said “I’m NOT surprised”....i.e that people are reacting this way, given the extreme heatwaves of the last few years, so what I’m not sure who, or what exactly you’re trying to contradict with these tables from this summer.

Oh, if you think that’s a good example of a rubbish summer, try having a look at the charts for June 1972, the Julys of 1974, 1977, 1980, 1988 and even 1993 amongst many others, for some perspective.

• Like 4

There will be new records set for longest consecutive days without sunshine somewhere in the UK when climate change kicks in that's for sure. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
7 hours ago, Aphelion369 said:

Yes, there’s definitely an element of that and some people may have slightly unrealistic expectations of the UK climate. I think a lot of it is not so much expectation but rather hope that average conditions are surpassed each year for say, sunshine and warmth in summer (and certainly for below average conditions in winter - if you want to discuss unrealistic expectations, just check out the forum in January!) Because ‘average’ (especially when regarding sunshine amounts) is a pretty low bar in the UK.

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted
13 hours ago, sarahng said:

5th August and it's like a day in October here.  So dark at 1945, windy and drizzle.  We are only halfway through 'proper' summer and it feels like autumn already.  I want to go and live anywhere where you are guaranteed a proper summer.

Yes it’s really poor when you can’t get a lengthy spell of pleasant sunny days in the south of England. 

It really is such a boring climate. I much prefer Latvian or Canadian weather, as the summers are usually warmer and hotter for longer periods, and winters are brutally cold with at least several weeks or so of 0c to -10 or below, with snowy days, and cold sunny clear frosty ones.

I don’t care much about the theatres of London, the restaurants, or shopping, as it means nothing to me as a Londoner. I much prefer a location like Toronto, which is guaranteed better weather, even though it’s not as interesting as London is.

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, DCee said:

There will be new records set for longest consecutive days without sunshine somewhere in the UK when climate change kicks in that's for sure. 

Like the above comment says, there’s been stinker years in the past. 

1980 was one of them. A very dull summer, and a cool one to boot. The only good thing that year, was a clear warm sunny May, and some severe thunderstorms.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
4 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Yes, there’s definitely an element of that and some people may have slightly unrealistic expectations of the UK climate. I think a lot of it is not so much expectation but rather hope that average conditions are surpassed each year for say, sunshine and warmth in summer (and certainly for below average conditions in winter - if you want to discuss unrealistic expectations, just check out the forum in January!) Because ‘average’ (especially when regarding sunshine amounts) is a pretty low bar in the UK.

It really bugs me when people refer to the uk climate when the climate of the south compared to the north is so different especially in the south....This summer for the south overall has been very poor especially so for the south east.  At least this summer we have got a taste of what summers in the north can be like and it's awful.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
8 hours ago, DCee said:

what has climate change got to do with sunshine amounts or the perceived lack of it??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

you can see from this map the UK is one of the least sunny locations on the entire globe...

OHaEsE5gvooo7czRlTObIht4NSUrvxU1rxSebiz4mGw.png

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

you can see from this map the UK is one of the least sunny locations on the entire globe...

Hahaha even greenland sees more sun than us!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
5 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Dreadful. 17c . Grey. Raining. Cold. The long march to Spring begins here.

You've got unbroken blue skies now though...its called living in a maritime climate, variable so say the least!

• Like 3

We’ve managed to sneak up to 20C dodging the showers but it’s blowing a hoolie and feels like early May or late September. 

The longer term outlook looks absolutely dreadful, the next three weekends all look like having deep lows stuck over the uk slowly filling. Plenty more, cloud, rain and showers while being persistently cool/cold. No use to anyone. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Outlook for rest of August looking very useable, showers yes but nothing to much. Temps very comfortable so plenty of scope for getting out and about without sweating to much! Can't complain at all.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

This is turning out to be one of the worst summers in recent years. Shockingly cool in London under the cloud and wind that has plagued so many days. We struggle to reach low 20s let alone 30s  Winter on the way....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
2 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

This is turning out to be one of the worst summers in recent years. Shockingly cool in London under the cloud and wind that has plagued so many days. We struggle to reach low 20s let alone 30s  Winter on the way....

Can only agree. I'm far from a fan of heat and much prefer it to be cooler, but this has been an absolute rotter of a summer.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, sun and snow.
47 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Not disputing the graph, but I'm genuinely surprised the SE gets less sunshine than the SW of the country. 

I was always under the impression that given most of our nasty weather comes from the West and the SE is the driest part of the country, that would equate to more sunshine. I suppose like many things weather related, the truth is more complicated. 

• Like 2

Posted

Useable they say useable. I want to use the sun to dry my laundry. I've just stood outside in my wellies and ruddy raincoat hanging it out! Yes i'm that desperate ... A kid has got threadworm so no lack of sodding laundry to do!! Gaaaaah!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, sun and snow.

On a side note, just had the heaviest shower of the year pass over. Proper turning on the taps.

I love these faster moving windy storms. You get all the drama of the crazy wind and rain, but without the flooding risk of the slow moving stuff. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers
1 hour ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Why am I not surprised, Cumbria just makes it into the worst category while the North East is sunnier. Thank God I brought a bolt hole in Southern Spain.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Yep, and that’s it’s biggest downfall, by far. Variable is fine, near constant grey gloom is not.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
14 minutes ago, Lord Grogon said:

On a side note, just had the heaviest shower of the year pass over. Proper turning on the taps.

I love these faster moving windy storms. You get all the drama of the crazy wind and rain, but without the flooding risk of the slow moving stuff. 

I love these days too...but in April, not August 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1