Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
7 hours ago, Britneyfan said:

20/21 is a perfectly good summer temp absolutely nothing wrong with that 

Agree, another fantastic summer morning here, sunshine, fresh temps, everything a UK summer should be, beats anything else hands down.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
8 hours ago, Britneyfan said:

20/21 is a perfectly good summer temp absolutely nothing wrong with that 

It’s perfectly fine IF sunny and with little wind. If cloudy and windy then it feels chilly and a bit naff.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

As a southerner I have to say that overall this summer has been pretty poor, overall cooler  than normal temperatures, more rain and less sun.  I understand northern areas and Ireland have faired lots better which may have balanced the stats out a little but I'd be interested to see how summer ranks in southern areas only, I'm guessing fairly low.

• Like 2

Posted

As a southerner I have to say that overall this summer has been pretty poor, overall cooler  than normal temperatures, more rain and less sun.  I understand northern areas and Ireland have faired lots better which may have balanced the stats out a little but I'd be interested to see how summer ranks in southern areas only, I'm guessing fairly low.

Hoping we have a nice August and September to make up for it

Edited by TwisterGirl81
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm, snow

Does anyone else feel that summer is being 'squeezed' both ways in recent years?  Warm weather seems to come later and is nearly always over by the time August arrives.  The exception to this being Spring 2020 of course!

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, sarahng said:

Does anyone else feel that summer is being 'squeezed' both ways in recent years?  Warm weather seems to come later and is nearly always over by the time August arrives.  The exception to this being Spring 2020 of course!

Growing season all but over here with most plants finished mature growth We have  always budgeted on a 7 month winter on the farm for livestock. Grass growth so slow now in spite of recent rain after a very warm dry July that we will have to feed outside cattle for a week or so till we have enough fresh growth in front of them.   Crops ripening fast too so countryside looking more yellow than green.    Dog days of summer with all the attendant biting  insects are here  

14 minutes ago, sarahng said:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
1 hour ago, sarahng said:

We've had a string of relatively average summers since 2014 (2018 aside). It's actually abnormal statistically to keep persistent warmth.

2014 and 2017 saw warmth arrive on time even if summer ended early.

2015 and 2018 were the anomolous cool/warm persistent summers.

2016 was an unremarkable but slow burning summer which retained warmth through September. 2019 was similar albeit ending in mid August.

People need to remember that the 89-06 persistent heat and the 07-12 persistent cool and wet periods were statistically very abnormal. We basically had a 24 year period from 89-13 with very abnormal summers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

I'm hoping to sail in my sisters husband's boat from next Monday onwards from county  Cork to North West Spain  .I'm just a passenger not a sailor but he is needing some help in a good window for the right time.. can anyone help with what the models are showing as there are very different variations and maybe someone can up up with a decent window.. The trip is expected to be 4 days.. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, emmett garland said:

I'm hoping to sail in my sisters husband's boat from next Monday onwards from county  Cork to North West Spain  .I'm just a passenger not a sailor but he is needing some help in a good window for the right time.. can anyone help with what the models are showing as there are very different variations and maybe someone can up up with a decent window.. The trip is expected to be 4 days.. 

See Tamara's post above, not many periods of settled weather ahead.

Early Monday looks OK if you can be in Cornwall by the next day, from then on it's relatively calm...or leave it until Thursday for another window?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold
1 hour ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

Hoping we have a nice August and September to make up for it

Depends on location and interests really, I agree we've had much better summers, but the amount of thunderstorms we've been having is quite exciting as these past few years we haven't had so many storms. I agree that temperature duration wise hasn't been that good (example second half of June) but it has been much much worse in the past.

• Like 5

Posted

Grey. Windy. Chilly 17c here today. Rain and gales on the way for the next 5 days. I'm going to live in Yakutsk.  No temperature below 25c for the next 10 days. There is bound to be a Wetherspoons there. Something like 'The Wild Bear and Salmon' or something. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
1 hour ago, sarahng said:

Spring 2020 was incredibly frustrating. The best spring in years and years, and we were all locked down and couldn't really do much with it! Got some nice walks in, but that was it. Having said that, in these parts at least May has had a reasonable record in terms of sunshine and pleasant if not startling warmth. Obviously not this year!

The last couple of days here have actually been decent. Temps in the low 20s and a reasonable amount of sunshine. I find it hard to be too upset about that. Less good today (overcast and windy) but still. Mind you, August tends to be the month of the extended summer (ie May-Sep) that I have the lowest expectations for. September a bit less so, plus it's quieter on weekdays as the schools have gone back!

I'd love a September like 2006's to round things off, but obviously the odds are against it.

• Like 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, Atmogenic said:

Depends on location and interests really, I agree we've had much better summers, but the amount of thunderstorms we've been having is quite exciting as these past few years we haven't had so many storms. I agree that temperature duration wise hasn't been that good (example second half of June) but it has been much much worse in the past.

South east always get the best thunderstorms, in my part of Devon there's been no thunderstorms this year

Posted
13 hours ago, Alderc said:

Utterly bizarre, but in a year where Canada reached nearly 50C, we’ve had basically no summer, Finland through Lithuania have had warmest months on records who knows  what’s possible. 

Heatwave helps mark fifth warmest July on record | Official blog of the Met Office news team

Edited by chapmanslade
  • Like 4

Posted
56 minutes ago, chapmanslade said:

Not in the south it hasn't, I would go so far as to say it has been one of the coolest in living memory

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
2 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

2016 was an unremarkable but slow burning summer which retained warmth through September. 2019 was similar albeit ending in mid August.

The warmest part of August 2019 was later in the month. Although unsettled, the September also had a warm dry spell in the middle third.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
1 hour ago, chapmanslade said:

whist the CET is incredibly valuable long term record for trends it really only can tell you part of the story ....the weather also doesn't run in neat monthly portions - down here in the south its been a poor season and the CET does not reflect that- also May was terrible which is part of the May -September out door season down here !!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Overall I would say it has been a meh summer so far in my neck of the woods. There have been been many poor days with a few pleasantly warm days mixed in as well as a heatwave added to the mix. I would say it has been a fairly average summer overall so far. The rest of August is looking average at best but with some pleasantly warm days of up to 23 Celsius.

On the whole, if you want hot weather then the rest of August is looking poor. If you want temps in the 20 to 25 Celsius range then the rest of August isn't looking too bad. Though it is indeed early days yet.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

South east always get the best thunderstorms, in my part of Devon there's been no thunderstorms this year

London has been pretty poor again this summer. Apart from that heavy storm a couple of Sundays ago, and even then it was rumbles of thunder. The east side of London was flooded in areas,  but as storms go it’s still been poor.

No decent overnight storms or memorable daytime ones.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Overall I would say it has been a meh summer so far in my neck of the woods. There have been been many poor days with a few pleasantly warm days mixed in as well as a heatwave added to the mix. I would say it has been a fairly average summer overall so far. The rest of August is looking average at best but with some pleasantly warm days of up to 23 Celsius.

On the whole, if you want hot weather then the rest of August is looking poor. If you want temps in the 20 to 25 Celsius range then the rest of August isn't looking too bad. Though it is indeed early days yet.

It would be good if we could get at least a 4-5 day hot spell later in the month, with temps of 27-30c and long sunny periods, with a thunderstorm thrown in at the end.

Its been a boring summer weather wise. So glad I’m away from it this week. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
7 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It would be good if we could get at least a 4-5 day hot spell later in the month, with temps of 27-30c and long sunny periods, with a thunderstorm thrown in at the end.

Its been a boring summer weather wise. So glad I’m away from it this week. 

Oh yes, that would be great. Love a good thunderstorm.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
56 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

Not in the south it hasn't, I would go so far as to say it has been one of the coolest in living memory

I doubt it, but the week long heatwave in the south was basically it as far as good summer weather is concerned. The other three and a half weeks of the month have been poor or mediocre at best.

Someone mentioned about the squeezing of the summer, it certainly feels like the growing season has been squeezed this year. I plant potatoes in the brief warm spell just before Easter, they did nothing for six weeks (in a normal year they show growth after three weeks) because of the cold April nights (even the weeds couldn't be bothered to grow), we had a crappy dull wet cool May, June was half decent half soaking wet and dull, July had one hot week, the rest of the time it has been unsettled and cloudy with slightly below average temperatures, the maincrop potatoes now have died back well over a month early. Blight is spreading around the allotment site thanks to the persistent wet conditions, and the slugs and snails have turned my brassicas into swiss cheese. The constant wet weekends are making keeping on top of the weeding very difficult. Since I took on the allotment in 2013 (just after the dreadful 2012 summer), this has been my worst year for growing vegetables by far.

Edited by al78
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, cold, snow and blizzards.
1 hour ago, Alderc said:

Dreadful day now, totally overcast, showers piling in. Cold, just 17.7C

I'm really enjoying this weather.  I can go about my normal daily activities without sweating.  Slept well last night too.  

• Like 1