Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

The charts are quite wild for Scotland next week, even the latest ECM pings through a couple of dartboards (Weds and Fri). Real potential for some very damaging winds, plus a decent chance of snow. 

From my, pretty uneducated, glance through the latest charts it looks like most of the snow seems to be South of the border at this stage. Still early doors though I guess! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
On 10/02/2022 at 00:18, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Nothing boils my p**s more than the forecasts during colder spells that aren't on a beast level they harp on about "snow mostly confined to higher ground" Gordon Ramsay GIF by Gordon Ramsay's 24 Hours to Hell and Back  think we all could say confidently if you go hunting for snow you'd go to hillier areas and not my near sea level house not sure if I'm the lowest altitude in here I'm surprised @edo profile says 19m I always think of Perth as a mostly higher area

Yes pretty flat as you come up the a90 to Perth, Perth itself gets up above 100m at highest part and just a few miles up the road it's over 100m.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Best enjoy the relative calm today looks very very lively pretty much rest of the week

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

yup and I can't stop saying storm Dudley in my head with a Birmingham accent...... potentially on to Eunice aswell by the end of the week.... very very calm here today and nice and dry after a soaking weekend. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Amber warning issued, best batten down the hatches!

• Like 2

Posted

Grey, damp and a max of 5c with light winds.  A weather day not to be remembered.

Thankfully looks like the highest winds later this week will be further south, was not relishing the idea of yet another prolonged power cut.  Hopefully not tempting fate with that statement.

• Like 6

Posted

Does anyone have any thoughts on the likelyhood of snow this far north on Friday? Met office automated showing dry but the XC weather is still going for a decent fall. 

Posted
20 minutes ago, Snowandrocks said:

Does anyone have any thoughts on the likelyhood of snow this far north on Friday? Met office automated showing dry but the XC weather is still going for a decent fall. 

XC weather provides serious amusement with it's snow forecasts! Never say never as even a wibbled clock is right eventually but until the Met come onboard I'm ignoring the GFS

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
14 minutes ago, Snowandrocks said:

Met Office automated quite often won't show anything much until a day or two before. XC, so raw GFS still showing significant snow (12Z), Yr.no so raw ECM showing it too (0Z currently, updates to 12Z around 9pm), BBC news weather showed it too at lunchtime (so does BBC automated) . As usual though, don't believe anything until its actually falling when you look out the window. 

• Like 2

Posted

Thanks both. I'm aware of the XC weather snow total optimism - I guess it just forecasts the rain equivalent and applies a multiplier. It might be right if it were lovely fluffy powder! 

I normally just take things as they come weather wise but we have some "toonser" friends coming to stay for the weekend from Edinburgh on Friday afternoon in a summer tyre clad BMW... I foresee a rescue mission if the snow does appear! 

• Like 2

Posted

Very muddy this morning with showers all morning but dried up this afternoon wih overcast skies only to be replaced this evening with moonlit skies  and a temperature of currently 1.5c.

Massive  American tranport plane just went overhead  against the moon must be using Kinloss /Lossiemouth as a staging post. Seen several in the last week. Some during daylight  hours.

• Like 6

Posted

We had F-15s high up in pairs over Tweeddale last week. Two sets painting stripes in the sky (must've been sunny!).

On a work call earlier and my Kirkcaldy colleague said Dudley and Eunice sound like characters in a Victoria Wood sketch.  Made me smile.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

O god. More wind. That bloody tree is bound to come down this time.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
4 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

More storms .

Hopefully Eunice is restricted to England  

What sort of name is Eunice for a storm anyway? Wishy washy, middle class, vegetarian, pacifist name, that's what.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Quite a nice day today, we went north to Tyndrum and had a stonk out towards the gold mine. 

I see the storm warning has turned amber, hoping those of you who were battered the last two times have less of an issue this time. FB_IMG_1644872154767.thumb.jpg.0a322269b975a9472591bec1dec9a1a0.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sunshine

hi folks first time this year ive came on and picked a good time to come on..

ive been on the model thread....i know bad move lol, and i im just wondering how bad are these two storms going to be all i see is maps and im complety new to all of this, if anyone can tell me what my area of central belt is going to get so i can get ready if this is the real deal or normal dissapoiment

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.
3 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

What sort of name is Eunice for a storm anyway? Wishy washy, middle class, vegetarian, pacifist name, that's what.

There is sod all chance of getting anyone in Glasgow to take seriously a storm called Dudley.

• Like 8

Posted
9 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Eunice, and Dudley, would be suitable names for breezes. Wrath, Ruin and Tempest sound more storm like.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
3 hours ago, Sceptical said:

Eunice, and Dudley, would be suitable names for breezes. Wrath, Ruin and Tempest sound more storm like.

Begbie.

Looks like the extreme wind is now forecast to miss the north almost totally. It won't be missed.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 2

Posted
9 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

This is a good looking FAX chart for Friday:

Although it's only good looking if you are far enough north for the cold air but also far enough south for the heavy precipitation when that low zips east over Scotland on Friday. Wherever is in the sweetspot will get a huge dump.

CaptureFri-Sat.JPG

We shall see!

• Like 1