Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
1 hour ago, paget said:

Hi 
Your posts about the roads have been very helpful, thanks! It’s certainly been interesting getting in the car the last couple of days!!!! 

we live at the end of a farmers track which is very frozen, lots of huge ruts from the tractors which are now frozen!!! We live next to Terpersie Farm if you know that. 

-9.8 now! 

Yeah, if the weather means we don't want to walk the dog on the tracks up Sui Hiil we often walk along the road towards Terpersie. That road can be interesting enough if it's snowed, never mind if you are off the tarmacked bit. We live just off Sui Road, uphill from the church, been here coming up for 5 years now. 

Edited by Ravelin
Numerous typos
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Cold Cold
27 minutes ago, Snowandrocks said:

My little thermometer is currently showing minus 13.5c. Bit of a frost hollow in this little valley tucked in on the north side of Bennachie but seems a bit on the low side. Really need to invest in a better setup. 

Could contain: Screen, Electronics, Monitor, Computer Hardware, Hardware, Car, Vehicle, Digital Clock, Clock, Digital Watch

I’m in Tullynessle, we live in a little glen which always seems at least 2 degrees colder than out of it!!! 

• Like 4

Posted
13 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Yeah, if the weather means we don't want to walk the fog on the tracks up Sui Hiil we often wzlk along the road towards Terpersie. That road cz  be interesting enough if it's snowed, never ind if you are off the tarmacked bit. We live just off Sui Road, uphill from the church, been here comin up 5 years now. 

If you know the track we are the last house on that track, next to the castle! 
we just love it here! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
4 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Not freezing mine off for them either 😆 However my Mum up the hill was this morning as her poxy boiler decided not to fire up. Ice in the oil says the man, well bloody service it properly this time.

Max temp here today was about -3C, dropping again now.

Water of course settles to the bottom of oil tanks, which is where the feed for the boiler draws from!

Related, and maybe I've mentioned in the past, but with ethanol (to make it cleaner burning) added to diesel, this is causing it to partition to the water sitting at the bottom of petrol station fuel tanks. That expands the water layer much more than normal, making a water-ethanol mix under the diesel. Along comes a filler tanker and disturbs this when it fills the station tanks. Think twice about filling up if the garage is getting filled up!

Settles quite quickly, but has killed some engines that got a mixture of water and ethanol rather than diesel when they filled up. We had a transport company send us samples of what they drained from their dead trucks and it was exactly this. 

Back to oil heating - on a day above zero, it's not too hard to drain your own outside oil tank from the bottom to remove any water. Should be a valve for this right down the bottom. You might be quite shocked how much water can be there!

---

Weather? F'n bawtic. -7.5 °C and falling. 

Edited by Scottish-Irish Skier
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Just been out to the car and its reading -7c... so its dropping away and with such clear skies its only gonna get colder and colder...🥶🥶🥶🥶

• Like 8

Posted

It’s been a stunning and incredibly cold day today, It didn’t get above -8! 

temp now -10.4 🥶  

any advice on how to post photos when our internet is terrible! It just fails every time ! 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
13 minutes ago, paget said:

temp now -10.4 🥶  

any advice on how to post photos when our internet is terrible! It just fails every time ! 

Make the file as small as you can with it still looking good on the screen will help, if you have that option on whatever device you're using...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
36 minutes ago, paget said:

temp now -10.4 🥶  

Don't know what the mobile 4G signal is like at your place but we use a 4G router to provide the main wifi for the house as the landline Internet connection is slow. Although the phone signal in the house is dodgy, with an antenna on a window at the front of the house we can get a signal good enough to stream HD video from the likes of Netflix, and the upload is much faster too. 

I'm almost 100% sure all the houses around Tullynessle have direct lines to the exchange in Alford, so are very long. I'm not holding my breath for Openreach to change that any time soon. Putting a fibre cabinet in the car park opposite the church would seem a good option, but then they'd need to reconnect every telephone line in the area to that, which would be a big job. One of the few downsides of rural living. 

-8.2C here now, not far off the low for today, which was -8.9C around 9am this morning. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 4

Posted

Car took 30 minutes to defrost on the inside this morning before I could drive on account (I think) of me forgetting to put the wet windscreen cover on the car last night meaning there was too much moisture on the inside which then froze solid. The journey became quite interesting with drips landing on the dash or me every time I went over a pothole. Temperature started at -7 at the house then surprisingly lifted to -4 at the top of the Slug before steadily dropping as I went down the other side of the hill.

PWS reports that my back garden rose to the heady heights of -3.6c for around an hour before dropping steadily to its current -7.5c. Looking forward to hearing what the overnight lows bottom out at.

• Like 7

Posted

Yes enough sunshine today to get solar powered hedge  lights going till now . A really fine mid winters day

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Car is now reading -9c... how low can we go tonight/tomorrow morning.. im guessing @Sceptical will be one of the lowest as before in Feb 2021 i do believe it was Alford that recorded -23.4c...

Edited by Mair Snaw
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
17 minutes ago, Kayemill said:

This is us right now.  

Could contain: Monitor, Screen, Computer Hardware, Hardware, Electronics, Scoreboard, TV

Brrrr...that is cold!  i spy a can of stella...😉🍺

Edited by Wold Topper
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather

Temps hit -9C in the field which is bit lower, -7.8C on the weather station. Now patchy cloud illuminated by strong bright moon with moderate snow in fine flakes now falling.

• Like 9