Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
14 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Could contain: Text

Not lying at all,  just melting on landing,  need a shower after dark when ground is a lot colder 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Not exactly getting buried but will take what I can get 

• Like 6

Posted
15 minutes ago, Penicuikblizzard said:

Most of the precipitation seems to move south to the west of Edinburgh, West Lothian should see the heaviest snow showers from the band ❄️

Yep. Will catch the very edge of the band here but nothing more. Can't catch a break this winter. Useless 

Edit: It's settling but will be over in 5 minutes 🤬 In fact it's easing off already!!

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 4

Posted
12 hours ago, 101_North said:

Latest Met Office automated forecast seems to pick up on the feature moving south tomorrow. Shown most clearly on Arpege and Icon but also showing on GFS

Could contain: TextCould contain: Chart, Plot, Purple, Plant, Vegetation, Nature, Outdoors, Land, Rainforest, MapCould contain: Chart, Plot, Outdoors, Nature, Plant, Vegetation, Sea, Land, Map, PurpleCould contain: Chart, Plot, Purple, Plant, Vegetation, Map, Outdoors, Nature, Rainforest, Tree

In the end this minor event was fairly well forecast, though the most active area is/was further SW than expected.  Most reporting sites in Galloway are down at sea level, but coastal Dundrennan Range reporting rain with temp +0.8 certainly suggested inland snow.  Could well be called a NW channel streamer?  Snow lying inland at WOW site near New Galloway.  A little here overnight (radar suggests 0600), but now gone but for a little bree.  Further areas coming down through Ayrshire.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
30 minutes ago, johncam said:

Not lying at all,  just melting on landing,  need a shower after dark when ground is a lot colder 

Lying a bit now , just slush though,  once sun gets out will dissappear again 🙄

• Like 3

Posted

This morning's micro dusting:

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Ice, Plant, Tree, Vegetation, Frost, Snow

Lovely sunny blue skies earlier, but snow on now. 2.6C from a 34th air frost at -2.9C. Not couting that above as a snow day!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

Turned heavy with big chunky snow here, starting to settle but it'll be gone in a couple of hours when it goes off.

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Architecture, Building, Snow

• Like 7

Posted

Very heavy snow here with everything turning white now after melting away earlier. Meto just issued a weather warning for it too. 

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 5

Posted
7 minutes ago, Ross90 said:

Turned heavy with big chunky snow here, starting to settle but it'll be gone in a couple of hours when it goes off.

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Architecture, Building, Snow

Yeah, looking quite a bit whiter than that here already.  Might see if I can sneak away from slaving in my "office" for a while later, before it disappears!

• Like 4

Posted

Pretty heavy snow here now and lying a bit ,I'm on slightly higher ground though. Depends how long it lasts, will melt when it stops but if it continues could disrupt the school run.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Showers to our North didn't make it through to here as usual and those coming in from the West passed well to our South so feeling jealous. My daughter and her boyfriend are on hols in the Lake district and had snow showers this morning but the sun has just come out. Looks lovely.

Could contain: Water, Waterfront, Nature, Outdoors, Scenery, Lake, Landscape, Sky, Weather, Sea

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Decent extended snow shower just passed through, massive fluffy flakes at times.

Can’t say winter 22/23 has been too bad here. Some good cold spells, lacking on the snowfall front but hey ho. Today has been a cracker and v cold night ahead.

Could contain: Field, Grassland, Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Ground, Mound

• Like 8

Posted

A wee bit of snow around at 11ish this morning in Killearn...

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Chair, Furniture

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Found 2 or 3cm of snow on the driveway when I got home that wasn't there this morning. Occasional snow showers in Westhill through the day that were heavy at times but short lived. Nothing much lay in Westhill but the hills around Alford are certainly looking whiter again. 

Currently 1C after maxing out at 1.3C (unless it warms up again). 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 6

Posted

Had snaw earlier this morning which gave another slight covering early hours then another Heavier pulse came through say about quarter to 11 more heavy sleet but all cleared and tbh not been as cold as you'd expect actually fairly pleasent

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
On 13/03/2023 at 18:20, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

I think a major reason why things changed is the pressure was deeper than modelled

ecmwfuk-0-0.png

This was the ECM as we see the low was modelled to deepen to 971hpa, my pressure reading bottomed out at 967.08 tho 4hpa might not seem much often even small differences have large impacts also its likely why the precip amounts were heavier resulting in larger accumulations I'm pretty sure no models had 61.49mm which I've recorded here so far

Expecting proper snow transition to begin pushing into the precipitation from now as the 528 dam moves in

nmm-uk1-17-5-0.png

There will be 2 zones of interest overnight and tomorrow 

1. A small low develops across the western Isles with lots of snow showers packing in from the early hours animult8.gif

Along with the proper snowfall conducive parameters 

animsoo3.gif 

Such cold 500hpa air and CAPE will be a great help with generating the big cumulonimbus clouds plus some thundersnow is a possibility especially across the northwest and the 2nd area of focus towards the Northeast as another disturbance sees showers develop there

animevi4.gif animyko5.gif

animzsc5.gif 

Given the precip accumulations we've already had its shocking there isn't an Amber ice warning covering Scotland with the sub zero lows overnight SERIOUS ICE RISK ⚠️

nmm-uk1-41-17-0.png

'plus some thundersnow is a possibility'

5 hours ago, Kayemill said:

Meant to say it was thunder snow as well. 

Screenshot-20230314-140743-Chrome.jpg

Happy with that Forecast 🥳and always fun when thundersnow is in the mix 🤠

Another little developing low towards the western isles tonight with snow showers toward @Halfamilefromnowhere and might be a mini streamer getting going near the north of the Great Glen and @Northernlights

animaqa4.gif

Brief snow as the front pushes in later tomorrow though any accumulations will be for high ground animgjb2.gif

Keep eyes on the way things setup beginning around 21st March pepe-wizard.gif animfxs6.gif

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

We have tiny bits of snow left in shade just around the village and it's now freezing again.  I think there'll be a decent cover over most of the Black Isle away from the immediate coastal strips and south-facing slopes, although it'll be thin so unlikely to last beyond tomorrow.

I've been trawling the few uncorrupted memories I have left of winters from 25 years ago and trying to pick out similarities and differences. The number and duration of the cold and snowy spells doesn't seem that different - bearing in mind that every winter is different. But what is different is that it's been several years since we've had a run of ice days (so snow doesn't hang around so long) and several years since we've had a really heavy drop of snow that's been seriously disruptive.  From maybe 15 years ago, going back, we'd expect at least one heavy drop most winters. Our boys were young then and snow days weren't unusual; we'd be out with the toboggans locally; and inland walks would be in winter wonderlands. Just my twopennyworth.

• Like 4