Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted

I can see distant lightning to the south now😃 Friends and family reporting thunder and lightning across East Ayrshire. 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
2 hours ago, dryfie said:

Confused!  What radar is this?  The Netweather doesn’t have that Solway echo, or the one mentioned at Sanquhar.  I’m further east, but nothing but blue sky to the east.

Apologies for this confusion.  All I know is that at the time in question my feed was showing a single storm on the Cumbrian coast (Maryport?).  Can’t look back that far to check.  Must be my kit at fault.

• Like 2

Posted

Country’s max today was 29.8c (massively underforecast) at seldom mentioned Scotland’s Rural College at Auchincruive, mile or two inland from Ayr.  The College also has an official Met site at Dumfries Crichton Royal Farm, and possibly Barony College.  Not sure if any of their other sites host equipment.

• Like 7

Posted

image.thumb.png.a7867d6aa142a42889daf7e20a5a4658.png

Proper summer now 🥰😎

Sunshine from dawn to dusk with just a few clouds bubbling up mid-afternoon.

Max of 23c with a stiff easterly breeze in the early afternoon, otherwise light winds.

Outside chance of thunderstorms here over the next few days by the looks of things.  Really could do with a few showers as things are drying out quickly now - neighbour already noticing a big drop in their well water level.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Localised flooding from surface water is likely in mainland Scotland on Sunday due to heavy, thundery showers. In areas impacted by the heaviest showers localised property flooding, flooding of roads and disruption to travel is likely and disruption to infrastructure and danger to life due to fast flowing water is possible. Not all areas will be affected. Localised flooding from surface water and small watercourses is also possible on Saturday evening and Monday. Areas most likely to be affected on Saturday are the west and south/central belt.

Screenshot_20230611_020336.thumb.jpg.ed25e525a95e378f98ca8d332f35dcf3.jpg 

forecastMetaImage.png
SCOTTISHFLOODFORECAST.SEPA.ORG.UK

Localised flooding from surface water is likely in mainland Scotland on Sunday due to heavy, thundery showers. In areas impacted by the heaviest...

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Anyone else getting all these jet noises overhead 🤔🧐 very weird for 6/7am 

Posted
1 hour ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Anyone else getting all these jet noises overhead 🤔🧐 very weird for 6/7am 

Didn’t hear anything although there were big planes taking off from Leuchars on Friday.

Overnight low 12c here. We scraped 16c yesterday for the warmest day in almost two weeks. Still waiting on that first warm 21c/70f day. Overcast at present but the forecast suggests brighter skies for this afternoon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

It's the first wet morning in at least 3 weeks here, I want the sunshine back although the rain is welcome 😄

Didn't get much in the way of storms last night, a distant flash of lightning and 1 rumble of thunder about 10. Then I think I saw some more flashes about 4am through the gap in the curtains but didn't bother getting up 🌨️

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

First proper rain in weeks so it seems finally (that rain last night was only a very brief shower)

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Current temp 19c and didn't drop much below that overnight. 🥵 Overcast, muggy, horrible day! Had a tiny drop of rain a wee while ago but doesn't look like we'll see much more of that this week. Pity, would save me endless trips with the watering can to the veg patch! The only things that have started growing is tatties ( and weeds, of course! ), nothing else so much as showing a tiny bit of green. So, probably no broad beans, runner beans or peas this year. 🙄😕

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

A very oppressive night although managed to sleep reasonably well.

Some rain overnight but not enough, about 2mm. 
Already a sticky and humid feeling 20.8c, hopefully get more rain.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Nice bit of gentle rain this morning plants smiling but it won"t  last long if the forecast is correct with a mainly dry week ahead. Currently 19c

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 4

Posted

Completely dry here, with most rain to west of M74.  Current temp 23c.

Camphill Res. (N.Ayrs) 18.6mm with 11mm in one hour          Muirshield (N.Ayrs) 15.2mm          Drumjohn (Glenkilns) 12.2mm

Highest falls, not surprisingly, in area of highest temperatures west of M74.  Many locations 5 to 10mm, by no means unusual, but just about enough to wet the ground.  Many other sites with little or none (rainfall or thunder) - basically non event.  Up to 5mm elsewhere in the country.

Data thanks SEPA, up till 1100 today.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted

The one upside to being near the east coast when everywhere else is sweltering is being able to sleep! Got down to a lovely 10c at one point.  Currently only 15c but feels nice enough in the sun. 

• Like 6

Posted
On 10/06/2023 at 02:06, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Surprisingly the modified plume has been upgrading on the thunderstorm action with each new output usually when we see frequent short term upgrades it can be a sign something is afoot

Keeping it a day at a time as this event will be spanning AT LEAST Sat, Sun probably extending into Monday and perhaps further but we'll figure that as we go.

For Saturday late afternoon through Saturday early evening quite a substantial building of CAPE with my attention especially focused toward areas along the Clyde might include Glasgow in that and a second zone up by @Halfamilefromnowhere 

nmmuk-28-24-0.thumb.png.104d6a8552f199022ac18eeea5ec1452.png nmmuk-1-25-0.thumb.png.d993db2588a426df3fbfe594596dcac0.png

Here's a sounding again around the Clyde by 9pm Sat 

Yep your seeing that correct about 1500>1600 CAPE 💥💥

sondagewrf_382_280_23_10_1686357472.thumb.png.7ba5f931ea982e980fbaa1749e38e313.png 

Some curvature with the hodograph too so can't discount tornado potentials here which fits to the marginal severe hazard sondagewrf_382_280_25_3_1686357708.thumb.png.3a7d7a608d507500479d1c9588591816.png

These 2 zones of thunderstorms will most likely move with the upper flow toward @mistyqueen and the other western isles.

My interest also drawing toward these charts for overnight Sat which show a higher probability of right moving supercell starting from SW Scotland travelling North Eastward

👀👀gfs_srh_eur33.thumb.png.5236cb33e80a3cbc5ad1817986377fd2.pnggfs_srh_eur36.thumb.png.8c54679d57713be6ac4662b70d670e68.pnggfs_srh_eur39.thumb.png.9b704f777e48f79583656dfaa3944ea4.png

11th & 12th August 2020 ezgif-1-02439845c1.thumb.gif.8c0ba6d91b3600e4d934ca7b5d25007d.gif

10th,11th + 12th June 2023 animtzw4.thumb.gif.00e08658938e8180d031fc19effeecaf.gif

Surely it couldn't could it 😳🥴🤣🤣

I'm chuckling with fresh memories of that with me & @101_North still posting at about 6am 😂😂

Me and @101_North after 12 hours of noahs ark storms 

7048188.thumb.jpg.5ad2e1ad83599622c5b0e072fde0ce3d.jpg🤣🤣

I'm not sure we'll ever see the likes of that again 😂

• Like 5

Posted

Couple of thundery looking showers approaching from the  SW

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
1 hour ago, 101_North said:

The one upside to being near the east coast when everywhere else is sweltering is being able to sleep! Got down to a lovely 10c at one point.  Currently only 15c but feels nice enough in the sun. 

The lack of sleep (as a shift worker) heatwaves can bring is/was always what I dread(ed) the most.

Caved this winter and went halfers with the gf on an A/C unit. What a difference.

I remember last year getting in from nightshift and my room was at 25.7c (south-facing and i’m in a new build flat). 

It’s roasting out there now, met office forecast 25c but we’re currently at 27.3c and high dewpoint.
Met office are forecasting 29c tomorrow so should unofficially break 30c…

• Like 5

Posted

Direct overhead thunder clap and lightning  Electricity knocked out for 5 seconds. Torrential rain started now. Very very humid just before.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Here's my current view 20230611_163937.thumb.jpg.6bb82610700d66eaeddc6f5b63c60b3d.jpg

20230611_163945.thumb.jpg.01b44f2cfcd16a5ee9c8c199b0fc358d.jpg20230611_163952.thumb.jpg.09b80aae2551059270ff13597450c96a.jpg

First significant signs of the instability cranking up with turkey towers forming 

20230611_164256.thumb.jpg.012c384be91a01e9a625e58018a12d99.jpg

• Like 5

Posted

Still a line of thundery showers heading up the Caledonian Canal towards us and then off out into the Firth. Awns appeared on spring  barley overnight equating to half an inch of new  growth in the minimum of 20c. As I finish typing this the next batch of thunder and lightning is arriving

• Like 5