Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
8 hours ago, Scottish-Irish Skier said:

@Mair Snaw @Snowandrocks

Thanks for the welcome. I pass through Oyne on the way to the office, Inverurie etc. Mrs SIS and I love all the old granite houses lining the road there - so pretty. 

The past owner put harling over the old undressed granite façade at the front of our new abode. Was the fashion in the early 90's. It's coming off as soon as possible!

Pre-snaw pint sounds good.

Finally got internet, telly up and running this morning. Off for a stroll while it's not raining now.

In that case you drive past my front door.. glad your settling in well.. if ya need anything feel free to ask.

• Like 2

Posted

Very humid start to the day after more overnight rain. Some very thundery cloud formations round about so expecting a wet afternoon. 

Can see us making last of hay in September gales  (Has happened before) Good job veg in garden well advanced as able to swamp the massive germination of weed seeds.  Saw the first advert for hay straw and silage left over fr 2022 as quality will be far better even if stored for a year. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Was able to finish soft fruit harvesting yesterday before the rain.  Biggest crop we've seen in 20 years, with 6lb redcurrants from one plant.  Blackcurrants and blaeberries also cropped very well.  Presumably down to the warm and sunny June, with rain this month to fatten them up.

Plum trees blossom first and were victims of late frosts.  These destroyed much of the lower blossoms with only higher branches surviving above the frost level.  The apples were a few weeks later and missed the frosts, and are also producing an amazing harvest.  The 'June drop' has been enormous, and continues in todays breeze, but still a large crop in the trees.  Shame about the size of 'the drop', but fortunately there's a local pig farmer who will gladly take apples, whatever the size.

Pleasantly surprised with what today brings, with plenty of bright sunshine and a good drying wind.  Showers about though.

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Fascinating to see all the thundery showers out in the Firth  although there several surrounding us with thunder being heard every few minutes. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Crackin rainbow this morning. Some angry clouds over Bennachie too, but so far the thunderstorm have skirted us. 

Could contain:

Could contain:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted

In amongst the sharp thundery showers passing by the warm sunshine is currently out.  19.5c

temp now 20.7c with light breeze 

Edited by Dundeeguy
  • Like 3

Posted

This month seems to have a thunderstorm warning for here every other day.

Still to see one!

Lovely day, feeling warmer than the thermometer reading of 18c thanks to plenty of sunny periods.

Deluge last night though with the strong winds driving the rain onto the windows, very autumnal!

Edit - first blackberries of the season picked today, usually August for those.

Edited by Quinach
  • Like 5

Posted

Horrendous rainfall , thunder and lightning. Must be some flooding and damage being done

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 7
  • Insightful 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Quinach said:

This month seems to have a thunderstorm warning for here every other day.

Still to see one!

Yes, same here. I’ve counted 5 warnings so far but yet to hear a rumble of thunder. More chance of snow here in coastal NE Fife! 😄

[I do recall a very impressive storm locally in June 2007 so it can happen.]

Sunny spells after a couple of sharp showers earlier.

• Like 6

Posted

The forecast was for pretty heavy showers/maybe storms the reality was we got a 20 second shower that was it

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather

Spectacular thunderstorm across the area, banging and flashing over over 2 and half hours. Over half inch rain which makes for over 2 inches 60mm in the last 7 days.  Crrofter up the lane can’t remember having so much thunder and thunderstorms up here for many years. I will have a tot up tomorrow.  I was down in Glasgow Tuesday and on the way back up the A9 it was great to see the rivers in full flow again.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

So storms from yesterday  have caused areas of leaning in spring barley but not too much flat. Leaning barley will recover a bit but flat on the ground never does and is difficult to combine.  Currently 17 c with showers looking likely this afternoon.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Solitary loud Rumble at midday yesterday but I was treated to a truly epic scene at sunset

Sunset-lit Anvil AND mammatus that's a weather dream combo 😯🥹💖

20230715-214305.jpg

20230715-214313.jpg

20230715-214336.jpg

20230715-214410.jpg

20230715-214330.jpg

20230715-214519.jpg

I also registered a temperature drop of 5.3C in just 35 mins 😮😮

image.png.ff149cd7d8b1685348ffa4f4bb8017

• Like 7

Posted

Surprisingly splendid day down here.  Dry, cloud generally about half sky cover, temp 21c and wind nowhere near as vicious as feared.  That being said, it's looking as if the East Neuk might be best place to be today.  River level dropping as I watch.

• Like 3

Posted

Apart from a short lived but hefty shower at lunchtime today it's been a pretty usable weekend here. Seemingly heavy showers all around but no sign at all of the forecast thunderstorms. 

Bit breezy but sheltered enough here in the woods and some sun. 

• Like 3

Posted

Biblical rain this morning on way to work.

@Ross B Did you make it back OK? Or are you still there.

• Like 2

Posted
5 hours ago, Kayemill said:

Biblical rain this morning on way to work.

@Ross B Did you make it back OK? Or are you still there.

Yep, got back on Thursday evening thanks. The last week was great for storms, got loads of photos and video which I'll dig out and post at some stage. Hope you had a good holiday! Looks like it has rained most days since I left and the schools broke up for summer, the grass was about a foot high when I got home which was great fun cutting...

• Like 2

Posted

Put petrol in garden mower this morning as it looked dryer with a fresh west wind.  Lo and behold heavy showers again this afternoon.  Currently  16c

• Like 2

Posted

Just for interest an article Aurora Storm and I wrote for a Scottish farming magazine in 2013. 

20230716_211605.thumb.jpg.31abb54432d9e16e4db71da14f55117c.jpg20230716_211615.thumb.jpg.04e98599d58f5881a1994ab7b346fe9c.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 hours ago, Ross B said:

Yep, got back on Thursday evening thanks. The last week was great for storms, got loads of photos and video which I'll dig out and post at some stage. Hope you had a good holiday! Looks like it has rained most days since I left and the schools broke up for summer, the grass was about a foot high when I got home which was great fun cutting...

On the last few nights we had some distant storms. The only video I got was it lighting up the night sky. Was a really fun trip as the twins are 18 now and a bit more silly if anything. My son thought it was funny to make blood curdling screams at inappropriate moments on rides!

Edited by Kayemill
  • Like 1

Posted

Anyone else find it fascinating that we are so cool currently   13c here        and Europe is so hot.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather
2 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Anyone else find it fascinating that we are so cool currently   13c here        and Europe is so hot.

Yes amazing difference up to 3pm we were hovering at 10.8C which would have been coldest July max I have recorded in the seven years up here by a couple of degrees but late burst of rarely seen sunshine pushed it up to 13C. Cold tonight out with the mad hound in hat and jacket, well not the hound in the hat and jacket….

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1