Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Sunny New Years Eve and Day

Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

One thing I've noticed is how rarely New Years' Eve (particularly) and New Years' Day (to a lesser extent) are sunny - seemingly even more so than other notable dates in the dark months, such as Nov 30th, Dec 1st, or Christmas Eve/Day/Boxing Day.

In particular I believe that since 1979 I have only experienced three New Years' Eves in the UK with prolonged sunshine: 1979, 1984 and 2001. New Years' Day fares only a little bit better: prolonged sunshine occurred in (EDIT - remembered a couple more) 1980, 1985, 1995 (heavy wintry showers but also prolonged sunshine) 2002 and 2010.

Obviously Dec and Jan are going to be the dullest two months of the year on average in terms of % of possible sunshine but I am fairly sure that the New Year seems to be even more prone to dullness than the rest of Dec or Jan. By contrast I can recall quite a few sunny Dec 1sts and Christmas Days.

Anyone else noticed this? It's possible I may have misremembered some years so if anyone has records of sunny Dec 31/Jan 1st in the south of England in this time span, it would be interesting to hear.

Certainly the idea of the year 'going out on a high' is a rare one: even if we widen the definition of 'going out on a high' to cold and settled without much sunshine, we can only add a few more, such as 2020, 2009, 2008, 1996, and 1992.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
4 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

One thing I've noticed is how rarely New Years' Eve (particularly) and New Years' Day (to a lesser extent) are sunny - seemingly even more so than other notable dates in the dark months, such as Nov 30th, Dec 1st, or Christmas Eve/Day/Boxing Day.

In particular I believe that since 1979 I have only experienced three New Years' Eves in the UK with prolonged sunshine: 1979, 1984 and 2001. New Years' Day fares only a little bit better: prolonged sunshine occurred in (EDIT - remembered a couple more) 1980, 1985, 1995 (heavy wintry showers but also prolonged sunshine) 2002 and 2010.

Obviously Dec and Jan are going to be the dullest two months of the year on average in terms of % of possible sunshine but I am fairly sure that the New Year seems to be even more prone to dullness than the rest of Dec or Jan. By contrast I can recall quite a few sunny Dec 1sts and Christmas Days.

Anyone else noticed this? It's possible I may have misremembered some years so if anyone has records of sunny Dec 31/Jan 1st in the south of England in this time span, it would be interesting to hear.

Certainly the idea of the year 'going out on a high' is a rare one: even if we widen the definition of 'going out on a high' to cold and settled without much sunshine, we can only add a few more, such as 2020, 2009, 2008, 1996, and 1992.

Memories of New Years Eve and New Years Day far more hazy than Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Indeed I'm struggling to remember many. Last year though wasn't bad, New Year's Eve was cold and sunny, we had a smattering of snow on the ground first thing.

New Year Eve 2008 and New Year Day 2009 were both cold and sunny.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I immediately thought of 2001/02 when I saw this thread's title - that one particularly sticks out for me.  I was in Cleadon in South Tyneside then and there was also about 3cm of lying snow, so it was as bright as it can get at that time of year. 

I remember that New Year's Eve 2008 was overcast where I was (though New Year's Day 2009 was indeed sunny), so sunshine must have been variable around the country.

Yes, it's very hard to think of other examples.  I can think of plenty of examples of sunny spells at the start of January and end of December, including for instance 1-3 January 1995 and the period 25-30 December 2000 (apart from just the one cloudier day on the 28th), 28-30 December 2003 and 28-30 December 2014, but the ones that I experienced all avoided straddling 31 December/1 January apart from the 2001/02 instance.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
13 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Memories of New Years Eve and New Years Day far more hazy than Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Indeed I'm struggling to remember many. Last year though wasn't bad, New Year's Eve was cold and sunny, we had a smattering of snow on the ground first thing.

New Year Eve 2008 and New Year Day 2009 were both cold and sunny.

Thanks - down here 2008/09 was cold, settled, quiet but cloudy - and given the general tendency of New Year weather I'd rate that as good!

I tend to remember New Year weather as I always think psychologically, a good New Year's Day sets you up for the year to come. These days I see the coming of the New Year the time when you can finally start thinking about the nights drawing out and the spring and summer to come - even if there are a difficult few weeks in the meantime. A sunny Jan 1st can put you in that optimistic frame of mind. Problem is it's a real downer if it then changes. I started 2002 on a high but my mood plummeted around the 4th and the rest of January was difficult...

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
12 hours ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

I immediately thought of 2001/02 when I saw this thread's title - that one particularly sticks out for me.  I was in Cleadon in South Tyneside then and there was also about 3cm of lying snow, so it was as bright as it can get at that time of year. 

No snow where I was but lots of sunshine and frosty nights. Perfect weather for mid-winter.

The fact that 2001/02 stands out shows, in itself, how rare it must be!

12 hours ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

I remember that New Year's Eve 2008 was overcast where I was (though New Year's Day 2009 was indeed sunny), so sunshine must have been variable around the country.

Yes, it's very hard to think of other examples.  I can think of plenty of examples of sunny spells at the start of January and end of December, including for instance 1-3 January 1995 and the period 25-30 December 2000 (apart from just the one cloudier day on the 28th), 28-30 December 2003 and 28-30 December 2014, but the ones that I experienced all avoided straddling 31 December/1 January apart from the 2001/02 instance.

Indeed - as I said above, the Christmas period and the days before new year, as well as a few days into January, seem to be sunnier on average. The turn of the year does appear to have a very marked tendency for mild, damp and dull.

Posted

Just thinking back at the examples I remember - note this is from memory so some of the earlier years in particular may not be completely correct.

? = not sure; * = based on second-hand reports

New Year's Eve:

Heavy falling snow: No instances

Cold/dry/sunny: 2001, 1984, 1979

Cold and settled but cloudy: 2020*, 2010, 2009, 2008, 1996, 1992

Mild, settled, cloudy: 2019, 2018, 2016, 2004, 1991, 1989, 1988, 1983, 1982?, 1980?

Wet and cold: No instances

Wet/unsettled, average : 1995, 1994, 1985, 1981?

Wet/unsettled, mild: 2017, 2015*, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2003, 2002, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1994, 1993, 1990, 1987, 1986

New Years Day:

Heavy falling snow: 1979

Cold/dry/sunny: 2010, 2002, 1995, 1985, 1980

Cold and settled but cloudy: 2021*, 2009, 1997, 1993

Mild, settled, cloudy: 2019, 2013, 2000, 1992, 1989, 1983?, 1981?

Wet and cold: 2017, 2011

Wet/unsettled, average : 1996, 1982?

Wet/unsettled, mild: 2020, 2018, 2016*, 2015, 2014, 2012, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1994, 1991, 1990, 1988, 1987, 1986, 1984

It can be seen that both cold weather and settled weather are rather uncommon around the new year! Would be interesting to study the frequency of settled weather at other turn-of-the-month periods; late Nov-early Dec is from memory much more prone to settled weather than the New Year. September 1st seems to have a very high frequency indeed of being settled; maybe a topic for another thread!

And the years which begin and end cold and settled (or cold and snowy) are distinctly rare: 1979, 2009 and 2010 seem to be the only examples.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted

Snowy New Years Eves include 1994 ( might have been New Years Day), 1995, 1996 - 3 in a row!, 2000. Last year delivered a dusting first thing. 

Cold starts to the year include 1979, 1980, 1985, 1986, 1993, 1995 - brief, 1997, 2002, 2004, 2009, 2010.. nothing since really though 2021 became cold. Overdue a cold New Year period.

Posted
5 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Snowy New Years Eves include 1994 ( might have been New Years Day), 1995, 1996 - 3 in a row!, 2000. Last year delivered a dusting first thing. 

Cold starts to the year include 1979, 1980, 1985, 1986, 1993, 1995 - brief, 1997, 2002, 2004, 2009, 2010.. nothing since really though 2021 became cold. Overdue a cold New Year period.

Interesting that several of those illustrate well the tendency for mild weather to arrive in the south first (not surprising as thaws tend to move SW-NE).

By New Years' Eve 1995, the south was already into damp, misty weather with average temps, following an extreme freezing rain event on the 30th.

Likewise, by New Years' Eve 2000, milder weather had got into the south accompanied by rain, with the 30th being the last day of that particular cold spell. The cold came back by the following Friday, with a temporary mild wet interlude for new year!

New Years Day 2004 was also wet and mild further south. I've just noticed I erroneously placed New Years' Eve 2003 in the wet/mild list - it should have been in the cold and wet list as it started cold before rain moved in after dark. I think because it was an Atlantic system I automatically filed under mild and wet without thinking!

1985/86 had rain on New Years' Eve and was relatively cold for rainy weather (but probably around the long-term average), but by New Years' day the mild had got in if I recall correctly - where it stayed, if I remember right, until late in the month. That said I have few memories of Jan 1986, just two in fact, both of which were on the south coast (Southsea and Bognor Beach) in blowy, mild, westerly weather - probably 'blow away the cobwebs' type winter walks.

So thaw events seem to be common just before New Year, particularly affecting further south.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
36 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

This was the scene on New Years Day 1962 in Surrey, close to the North Downs. I am sure the scene on NYD the following year 1963 would have been similar if not worse! 

coulsdon woodmansterne road snow (2).jpg

I remember hearing about 1962 starting cold and very snowy, as well as 1963.

It turned mild pretty quickly though, unlike its successor - though March was extremely cold if I recall correctly.

Other cold New Year periods from beyond my earliest memory which I remember hearing about include 1969/70, 1970/71 and 1971/72 - three in a row. In each case, mild arrived pretty quickly afterwards, though 1969/70 was a cold winter overall.

Posted

96-97 brought blizzard conditions here.. amounts were not very large but the wind kept whipping the powdery snow off the ground and it looked like we had permanent snow for much of the night and early hours. Ended up though with about just 3 inches. The first 10 days of January were very cold but little snow.. Always think of late Nov 96 to early Jan 97 as a tamer version of late Nov 10 to early Jan 11.. both winters overall were very similar with the flip to mild.. both brought very mild Februaries. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Since taking records the following New Years Days have been sunny:

2018, 2010, 2007, 2004, 2002

More often, the day itself is not sunny, but the 2nd or 3rd brings a return to sunnier conditions as in:

2020 (3rd), 2019 (2nd), 2017 (2nd), 2015 (2nd), 2014 (2nd), 2009 (3rd), 2005 (2nd)

Then there are plenty of other occasions when the period in general is just dull.

Sunny Christmas Days include:

2020, 2019, 2014, 2013, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2002 

Interestingly, Christmas Day 2002 was a sunny day amongst a long period of marked dullness. 2001 and 2004 were both bright days but with wintry showers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
On 01/11/2021 at 16:38, MP-R said:

Interestingly, Christmas Day 2002 was a sunny day amongst a long period of marked dullness.

Interesting that you found this in a completely different area of the country.  In Cleadon in South Tyneside I remember the same: December 2002 was an exceptionally dull month there but Christmas Day was a one-off sunny day, I remember some patchy low cloud but also plenty of sun breaking through.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
On 01/11/2021 at 19:07, Thundery wintry showers said:

Interesting that you found this in a completely different area of the country.  In Cleadon in South Tyneside I remember the same: December 2002 was an exceptionally dull month there but Christmas Day was a one-off sunny day, I remember some patchy low cloud but also plenty of sun breaking through.

Yes I think I can count the number of sunny days from that month: 01st, 05th, 09th, 17th-19th, 25th. As well as being sunny, that Christmas Day was also notably mild down here. Remember going for a pre-Christmas dinner walk locally and it almost feeling springlike.

Posted
18 hours ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

Don't remember anything about Christmas Day 2002, but I do remember a longer relatively sunnier period early in the month, perhaps from the 9th-20th or so when the winds went easterly for some time. This was broken by a dull and wet weekend in the middle.

I do recall the last 10 days of 2002 were pretty dull and wet, and generally mild but with one or two colder days. I think if I remember right there was something of a "battleground" scenario with southern-tracking lows producing a lot of rain, and the far north was much colder. In the new year the colder air finally won out and we had a notable sunny and frosty week from the 3rd to the 11th, which by that time had become a rarity in January.

In fact 2003 was one of those years when the worst of winter seemed to end very early, and the perception of gloominess was little in evidence much beyond the new year. January was alternating cold and mild, but consistently bright. February also was bright with varying temperatures. Then into spring, and March was one of those very warm and sunny Marches which were very common in the period 1990-2014. (In fact, going a little OT, wasn't 2003 the sunniest year on record for many places? I remember every month up to and including October, but excluding May and July, was sunnier than average).

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
20 hours ago, MP-R said:

Since taking records the following New Years Days have been sunny:

2018, 2010, 2007, 2004, 2002

What were conditions like in 2004 and 2007 incidentally? I recall both of those as in the middle of unsettled periods, and don't recall either being notably sunny - I guess some areas got lucky.

Here, the afternoon of New Years Day 2018 was sunnier after a cloudy morning with some light rain - the more westerly location of Somerset must have helped here!

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
On 02/11/2021 at 13:33, Summer8906 said:

What were conditions like in 2004 and 2007 incidentally? I recall both of those as in the middle of unsettled periods, and don't recall either being notably sunny - I guess some areas got lucky.

Here, the afternoon of New Years Day 2018 was sunnier after a cloudy morning with some light rain - the more westerly location of Somerset must have helped here!

In 2004 an active front cleared the west in the early hours leaving a bright day behind. Weirdly, this front turned around on the 2nd but fizzled out and the briefest of easterlies arrived with some light snow early on the 3rd.

In 2007, after a night of heavy showers with thunder and lightning here (out of the NSC on the 1st Jan!), the daylight hours were largely sunny before a trough brought cloud and rain in by sundown.

Both were well timed interludes between weather systems.

• Thanks 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, MP-R said:

In 2004 an active front cleared the west in the early hours leaving a bright day behind. Weirdly, this front turned around on the 2nd but fizzled out and the briefest of easterlies arrived with some light snow early on the 3rd.

Thanks - I do remember that brief easterly early in the month. The rest of Jan 2004 was typically wet and windy - but I do recall it being a little colder and significantly sunnier than most such months, perhaps due to a mean WNW rather than WSW flow. There was also that notable 'thundersnow' late in the month - though sadly the cold spell it brought in was vanishingly brief.

7 minutes ago, MP-R said:

In 2007, after a night of heavy showers with thunder and lightning here (out of the NSC on the 1st Jan!), the daylight hours were largely sunny before a trough brought cloud and rain in by sundown.

Both were well timed interludes between weather systems.

The one thing I do remember about early 2007 (both Jan and Feb) was the notably cloudy nights. The days didn't seem too gloomy given the stormy WSW flow, but nights were generally cloudy, I think I must have remembered this as I was trying to look for objects in the night sky.

One might infer there was a lot of tropical maritime, but mean pressure wasn't too low hence the days were merely cloudy, rather than gloomy. There was a lot of wind and a lot of light rain, if I remember right - but not so much in the way of real deluges.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
On 02/11/2021 at 13:48, Summer8906 said:

Thanks - I do remember that brief easterly early in the month. The rest of Jan 2004 was typically wet and windy - but I do recall it being a little colder and significantly sunnier than most such months, perhaps due to a mean WNW rather than WSW flow. There was also that notable 'thundersnow' late in the month - though sadly the cold spell it brought in was vanishingly brief.

The one thing I do remember about early 2007 (both Jan and Feb) was the notably cloudy nights. The days didn't seem too gloomy given the stormy WSW flow, but nights were generally cloudy, I think I must have remembered this as I was trying to look for objects in the night sky.

One might infer there was a lot of tropical maritime, but mean pressure wasn't too low hence the days were merely cloudy, rather than gloomy. There was a lot of wind and a lot of light rain, if I remember right - but not so much in the way of real deluges.

Yes the whole of winter 03/04 was quite episodic, especially December and January. I suppose what one would expect from a typical Atlantic-driven winter. Not much excessive mildness, any such conditions brief with the passing of a low, brief colder periods interspersed with more settled periods. January of course had the brief cold snap early on, another Pm spell 14th-18th then the cold spell in the final week. February then a lot quieter with frostier conditions and snow at times. Then March brought another bout of the Atlantic with gales midmonth that wouldn't be out of place in November! Nowadays we'd probably call it a disappointing winter overall, but at least all three months brought cold spells and snow to many.

06/07 on the other hand, I don't have fond memories of at all. To be expected from a pretty strong El Nino, but as you say the first half of January, most of December, and the second half of February were exceedingly dull. Christmas Day 2006 must actually be one of the dullest Christmas Days I've experienced in this country. Atmospheric, but very dark and dull. Winter that year was between Jan 21st and Feb 10th, culminating in the unusually good snowy spell.

Anyway, I won't take the thread more off topic than we already have