Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

SE, London & EA - Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings

For those of you with weather stations, which do you have?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

So day 9 of solid frost here , My North facing back garden has been white with Frost since Wednesday last week.. Lowest was Sunday night -7.3c, could be challenged tonight as already -4.5c,...Max temp was Tuesday at 2.3c...obviously the coldest start to Winter since 2010, but we did have lots of snow that time .. Looking forward to the mild weather lots are fed up with this cold ...We have had the fun but needs to come to an end now, a couple days on snow early Feb,  will do just nicely before a return to above normal 18c spring temps please weather gods...

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms☃⛈

Cold Spell Continues - 15 December 2022 Time-Lapse

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow

Temps tonight seem to be absolutely dropping like a stone, much lower than was forecast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and severe weather events.

Tonight is going to be very cold indeed for some of us here in the south east! Already minus 6 here in Hassocks and im only 9 miles from the coast but am just north of the south downs and its particularly sheltered here and with lying snow. This morning was minus 7.5 here at 7 o'clock and I'm confident that will be exceeded tonight. I'm quietly confident it could reach down to minus 10 here tonight it really is proper cold here already!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Less cold here tonight it’s only -5 😄

So the  "Troll from Trondheim" is going to be killed off by a “churning vortex” in the “nightmare before Christmas” this weekend accordingly to a certain weather journalist 🥹 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Approaching a full week with snow and ice on the ground here in the London Suburbs.

Certainly notable in terms of protracted and intense cold whatever else is thrown at us this Winter.( a hunch we may well revert to type for the duration)

• Like 1

Posted

I wonder does anyone know  when is the last time snow has been on the ground for this length of time in the London area? 2009 and 2010 only a few days. Don't really remember February 1991 though i believe there was alot of snow then. 

• Like 2

Posted

Another ice day today, Just at -0.1. Going to be the coldest night so far down to -6.7. Only 0.2 to go to beat Tuesday nights min.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings

Still plenty of snow on the ground here

Could contain: Shelter, Outdoors, Weather, Nature, Lighting, Chair, Ice, Snow, Winter, Plant

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.
59 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

I wonder does anyone know  when is the last time snow has been on the ground for this length of time in the London area? 2009 and 2010 only a few days. Don't really remember February 1991 though i believe there was alot of snow then. 

Feb 1991 was truly exceptional, it snowed for at least a whole day.

There was 12 inches in Braintree where I grew up and max daytime temps of -4 Celsius.

I remember the depths were up  to the tops of my bmx bike wheels!

Would love to hear anyone else’s memories of this event as this region did very well I believe.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Stunning day with the family making the most of the winter snow. I’m very grateful that in Cambourne we have an amazing country park that surrounds the whole town.

Could contain: Sky, Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Vegetation, Path, Sunrise, Flare, Sunlight, Scenery

Could contain: Sky, Nature, Outdoors, Horizon, Sunlight, Sunset, Scenery, Sunrise

Could contain: Weather, Nature, Outdoors, Ice, Ground, Person, Scenery, Sky, Tundra, Frost

Could contain: Weather, Ice, Nature, Outdoors, Frost, Snow, Scenery, Bird, Animal

Could contain: Neighborhood, Suburb, Outdoors, Nature, City, Car, Shelter, Countryside, Housing, Weather

• Like 6

Posted

-7.3 now so coldest night of the spell. The way it's rocketing down I wonder how low it could go?

• Like 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, 80sWeather said:

Feb 1991 was truly exceptional, it snowed for at least a whole day.

There was 12 inches in Braintree where I grew up and max daytime temps of -4 Celsius.

I remember the depths were up  to the tops of my bmx bike wheels!

Would love to hear anyone else’s memories of this event as this region did very well I believe.

I was at uni in Swansea at the time but my home was in Upminster, outer NE London suburbs. I remember it being cold, really cold for Swansea something like minus 4 max. Snow arrived in Swansea on the Thursday, 4 inches I think. I knew there had already been some snow at home and that there would be much more there. So I made the decision to go home for the weekend, under the guise of visiting my parents but really to see the snow.

I set off on the Friday and it was, surprisingly trouble free into London despite there being a fair bit of snow along the route. Travelling out of London was slightly more tricky as the trains were only going as far as barking initially. We were turfed off there and then there was a shuttle service going further out. I got off the train at Upminster and knew my journey had been worth it. The few cars that were driving around had over 1ft of snow on their roofs. The mile and a half walk home was amazing with snow halfway up my legs. 

Don't remember there being much more snow over the weekend. I did an official measurement of 14 inches. 2 inches more than January 1987 but with no drifting.

The journey back was uneventful and back in Swansea the snow was still there and hung around for a week or so but there was no more snow. Back at home there was another snow event on the evening of the 12th I think but quite marginal and localised to the South East I think. This left another 4 inches, according to my mum - I trained her well. A few days later the thaw began but it was the most snow I have ever recorded, so far anyway.

• Like 1

Posted

Minimum of -8.9 last night coldest since December 2010. Currently up to the dizzy heights of -7.

Last of the really cold nights and forecast to get several degrees above freezing today for the first time in 4 days. Then the big mild starting Sunday night. It's going to be odd when everything is green again after a week of white.

• Like 1

Posted

-9.0 according to met office observations for my area last night.

not sure my station is working right as it is saying currently 1.4 thats a 10 degree rise in 7 hours. can't be right.