Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SE, London & EA - Weather Discussion

Posted
2 hours ago, Kentspur said:

There was a period of several years mid 90s and early 00s i remember Medway used to do well for snow my mum.moved there in Jan1992 and I remember countless times there being nothing or very little at dads in Dartford yet Medway always seemed to get more but I admit recent years its not been great for there. I remember getting stuck several times at my friends in Lordswood too when there was nothing on low lying areas down the road 

39 minutes ago, snowray said:

Those BFTE events in the 80's and 90's where very much as you describe there, as you went down the A2...

Bexleyheath.. nothing or a dusting

Dartford.. A covering

Northfleet.. 1 or 3 inches

Gravesend.. Thick snow, 3-5 inches

Medway.. Blizzards with drifting.

Eventually it would also snow around London, etc, but mid Kent by then would be snowed in. In 1987, one of my first jobs in London, my boss did not come to work for a week, a shortish sort of man, could not see above the snow that had drifted up his back door, somewhere the other side of Maidstone.

Growing up in lordswood from 70’s to early 2000’s, it was amazing for snow. If the wind hit just right from a NNE/NE it used to benefit from orographic lift, as well as it coming through the valley so nothing to stop it fizzling out. And always ended up with more than anywhere else. 

In March 2004 we had a foot of snow and my employer in Chatham had barely anything and they didn’t believe me. 

Edited by Coopsy
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Lets hope UKMO is right . Harmonie has some aswell .

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoors, Nature

• Thanks 1

Posted

The updates are interesting because they seem to firm up the possibility of heavy and disruptive snowfall for us Wednesday but It will wiped clean by Thursday/Friday with heavy rain and warmer air. There is a possibility for more snow Saturday but that’s a massive if and so far away!! 

In summary I would say rain for most overnight tonight and tomorrow morning. Then from early hours Wednesday morning we could see some heavy snow that may give 2-4cm in some places and others by the coast could just see rain!! 

it’s all still so up in the air at the moment! Still loads of different scenarios 24 hours out!! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
51 minutes ago, LightningLover said:

The old town is probably highest at ~48m ASL... Sidley is pretty high up with Beacon Hill (Near st. Mary's recreation ground) Being 58m! Pretty sad when you think that Hasting's Highest point is 172m ASL (Fairlight), closely followed by The Ridge at 155m!

Might have to get myself up one of them hills then I think, stand more of a chance then right here on the coast.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Re tonight ITV didn't have snow on the front till 3pm tomorrow. And then mentioned more snow over night with the front.

Posted

Feels very cold out there but probably due to wind chill. 
Moderate rain beginning here. Going to take a hell of shift cold dig south to turn this wet mess to snow. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

I think for Kent we are really looking at tomorrow night now. We might get a few flakes tonight 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms
10 minutes ago, snowray said:

Might have to get myself up one of them hills then I think, stand more of a chance then right here on the coast.

If against all odds we do get an appreciable covering, we should have a 30 minute celebration before it rapidly melts haha!

• Like 3

Posted
14 minutes ago, weirpig said:

Snow or not    its freezing out there nothing worse than cold rain  on the evening commute

Indeed , if it can't snow then roll on spring and 20c + days again.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
1 hour ago, snowray said:

Those BFTE events in the 80's and 90's where very much as you describe there, as you went down the A2...

Bexleyheath.. nothing or a dusting

Dartford.. A covering

Northfleet.. 1 or 3 inches

Gravesend.. Thick snow, 3-5 inches

Medway.. Blizzards with drifting.

Eventually it would also snow around London, etc, but mid Kent by then would be snowed in. In 1987, one of my first jobs in London, my boss did not come to work for a week, a shortish sort of man, could not see above the snow that had drifted up his back door, somewhere the other side of Maidstone.

As a late 80s / early 90s kid in medway, snow back then was amazing. Curtain twitching through the night and getting told to go to sleep by the parents. Woke up at 6am once after a really thick knee deep  snowfall! Running up the garden and up the road, saw the pure whiteout in the distance and ran back scared I'd be unable to find my way home.  Weirdly I don't remember the 1987 snow event!! But I would've been about 4 so...

• Like 1

Posted

Raining here, apparently some wintry mix past midnight according to apps. I’m 150m asl and still needs some good going. 
Like pulling teeth to see a flake ❄️ 

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, throwoff said:

I reckon Tonbridge could be in for a good spell this week. 

Confundo - Known as the Confundus Charm, it causes confusion of the target
🤣

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

I think it will be close but ...no 🍌 

For me tonight.

Good luck everyone. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
53 minutes ago, LightningLover said:

If against all odds we do get an appreciable covering, we should have a 30 minute celebration before it rapidly melts haha!

I think we should have a party if it snows and settles in Bexhill!👌☃️

• Like 1

Posted

Çan see the moon, gap in the front or very light cloud perhaps, and temp has dropped. But for now I'm sure cloud will rise temps.

Posted

Has anyone noticed that when it snows in march the snowflakes are absaloutly huge! 

In past yrs I have observed how big they are.

Wonder why?

Is it to do with warmer temperatures?

Posted
1 minute ago, Floatylight said:

Has anyone noticed that when it snows in march the snowflakes are absaloutly huge! 

In past yrs I have observed how big they are.

Wonder why?

Is it to do with warmer temperatures?

It marginal snow. Makes better snow balls than the dry stuff.

• Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, alexisj9 said:

It marginal snow. Makes better snow balls than the dry stuff.

Yes it does! 

Does melt quick though.

Posted
16 minutes ago, UKSnakey said:

As a late 80s / early 90s kid in medway, snow back then was amazing. Curtain twitching through the night and getting told to go to sleep by the parents. Woke up at 6am once after a really thick knee deep  snowfall! Running up the garden and up the road, saw the pure whiteout in the distance and ran back scared I'd be unable to find my way home.  Weirdly I don't remember the 1987 snow event!! But I would've been about 4 so...

Them were the good old days.😚

• Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, UKSnakey said:

mate we had  a cracking year,1987 if your a weather extremist was a year in a lifetime ,what with the snow ,cold ,wind in October, once in a lifetime  experience for me  in Medway ,i lived by Medway crematorium, the wind was perfect big hefty showers scooted just past Harwich ,sheerness never took the viciousness out of them either straight down the Medway over the towns on to bluebell, Boxley,Detling  hills took the brunt  ,windy too ,so waist high drifts ,all Kent kopped it i think ,but you couldn't move for days ,then in October everything was flattened ..strange year 🙂

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

18z GFS back with the back edge snow early doors tomorrow

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Nature, Outdoors, Rainforest, Vegetation, Sea, WaterCould contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Nature, Outdoors, Vegetation, Rainforest, Sea, Person

Certainly looks like heavy extensive rain sleet and hill snow Wales at the moment:

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, White BoardCould contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, White Board

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
1 minute ago, Nick F said:

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Nature, Outdoors, Rainforest, Vegetation, Sea, WaterCould contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Nature, Outdoors, Vegetation, Rainforest, Sea, Person

Certainly looks like heavy extensive rain sleet and hill snow Wales at the moment:

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, White BoardCould contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, White Board

The rate could be a big helper here, if it stays heavy evap cooling could come into affect?

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Yes Nick , looks heavier than the models suggested. Any thoughts Nick on if this could impact later?

Posted
Just now, Snowman. said:

The rate could be a big helper here, if it stays heavy evap cooling could come into affect?

Yeah, will help if the rain/sleet over Wales, which is heading towards SE England along the cold front, remains heavy when it reaches us later.

• Like 1