Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

SE, London & EA - Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Good Morning all, again.

Thought I would ask a couple of Netweather's Forecast Team, regarding the lowest Air Pressure that has been recorded in our Region, for November.

My interest was sparked by Laura Tobin on ITV's, Good Morning Britain show, earlier.

Laura made reference to the above but I didn't catch the figure or date/time period mentioned. 

Sent P.M.'s to both Jo Farrow and Nick Finnis, in this respect.

Jo has kindly got back to me, and sent me the following link to the Roost Weather Site.

Starlings Roost Weather

Evidently. this chap works for the Met Office

The lowest Air Pressure ever recorded for London in November, is 965.4 mbs.

The figure for Kent, is 965 mbs. The figure for Surrey, is 966.2 mbs. 

A big thank you to Jo, for her help with that info.

Just waiting to here from Nick F. now.

Meteociel - Pression atmosphérique observée en temps réel en Royaume-Uni

As you can see from the Meteiciel Pressure chart below, the eye of  Storm Ciarán is now exiting the East Anglian coast.

image.thumb.png.e601d106b7a8c17bf969a74361d21eb7.png

Regards,

Tom Q. 👍 

Edited by Tom Quintavalle
  • Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Tom Quintavalle said:

Good Morning all, again.

Thought I would ask a couple of Netweather's Forecast Team, regarding the lowest Air Pressure that has been recorded in our Region, for November.

My interest was sparked by Laura Tobin on ITV's, Good Morning Britain show, earlier.

Laura made reference to the above but I didn't catch the figure or date/time period mentioned. 

Sent P.M.'s to both Jo Farrow and Nick Finnis, in this respect.

Jo has kindly got back to me, and sent me the following link to the Roost Weather Site.

Starlings Roost Weather

Evidently. this chap works for the Met Office

The lowest Air Pressure ever recorded for London in November, is 965.4 mbs.

The figure for Kent, is 965 mbs. The figure for Surrey, is 966.2 mbs. 

A big thank you to Jo, for her help with that info.

Just waiting to here from Nick F. now.

Meteociel - Pression atmosphérique observée en temps réel en Royaume-Uni

As you can see from the Meteiciel Pressure chart below, the eye of  Storm Ciarán is now exiting the East Anglian coast.

image.thumb.png.e601d106b7a8c17bf969a74361d21eb7.png

Regards,

Tom Q. 👍 

Yea be good know  ..I got an app on phone it gives air  pressure and elevation....I have it for winter months so I know quickly what highest hill is quickest and hopefully see snow ,not that mountains are common here and i think If you get a week of lying snow etc etc it's a dying phenomenon here anyway ..but not to big boys on big hills or mountains, but transferring 600 asl to sea level ,guess I  could look online  work out if app was near on ,but centre of was I think near on over me @ 954 mb but 600 ft up ..let's see huh 🙂

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and sun. Anything extreme.

Thanks, Tom. So my 946 from my Bresser station is a new record, then! Looking back at the telltale, the lowest was actually 945.3 at 08:15 this morning.

PS IN terms of calibration, I have a Kestrel calibrated 5400 heat stress tracker that reads the same within 0.2hPa.

Edited by Snow tyre
  • Like 1

Posted

Apart from a few gusts late last night, you wouldn't even think Ciaran was a thing. 

But I've woken up feeling quite depressed this morning for no reason, my  head just feels sort of heavy. I can't account for this feeling at all, so wonder if it's the low pressure!

Rainy, cool and very blustery now.

Posted
32 minutes ago, Emz by the Thames said:

Apart from a few gusts late last night, you wouldn't even think Ciaran was a thing. 

But I've woken up feeling quite depressed this morning for no reason, my  head just feels sort of heavy. I can't account for this feeling at all, so wonder if it's the low pressure!

But to  us humans high pressure is stressful, got to do this and  that and the other ..low pressure well it's a walk in the wind isn't it ,a free for all ,happy as Larry, which is only a couple of storms  down the line in  the name scale ,maybe it's why they call it a depression, because you feel low ,like hurricanes and typhoons etc they hate interacting with nothing if possible, shear madness is worst enemy ,then interacting with upper low ,but if you (the tropical disturbance) are near on the same height,then they are a thorn in the side not a problem ,so to them  they are solo or so low 920 mb even 950 mb but over  100 odd miles not 500 miles  🙂

Edited by TN9

Posted

We gone from a strong sw and rain to a blue sky and no breeze at all as it went over ,to more west then north westerly and raining again ..so the old saying was,turn your back  to the wind and hold hand out to your  left ,that's the centre of low ,near on ,give or take 100 miles  🙂

Edited by TN9
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
45 minutes ago, Emz by the Thames said:

Almost certainly the LP. There is seasonal affective disorder as well which can cause feelings of depression. Linked to less sunlight which leads to lower serotonin (mood regulation basically). A heavy head doesn't usually coincide with s.a.d (I wish they would rename this!! Pet peeve...flipping labels!) so I'd say it's likely Ciaran

Try and find an activity you enjoy Emz. Something that will focus your attention.. a puzzle, reading your favourite book, playing with the pets, going for a walk (exercise = great for low mood as it releases endorphins aka "happy hormones")..All natural mood lifters.

If none of the above appeals, have a chat with a friend! Or even drop me a DM if all else fails. I'm a huge advocate for better minds! Look after yourself.. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Vortex3929 said:

Almost certainly the LP. There is seasonal affective disorder as well which can cause feelings of depression. Linked to less sunlight which leads to lower serotonin (mood regulation basically). A heavy head doesn't usually coincide with s.a.d (I wish they would rename this!! Pet peeve...flipping labels!) so I'd say it's likely Ciaran

Try and find an activity you enjoy Emz. Something that will focus your attention.. a puzzle, reading your favourite book, playing with the pets, going for a walk (exercise = great for low mood as it releases endorphins aka "happy hormones")..All natural mood lifters.

If none of the above appeals, have a chat with a friend! Or even drop me a DM if all else fails. I'm a huge advocate for better minds! Look after yourself.. 🙂

Perfect ..spot on 🙂

Posted
39 minutes ago, Vortex3929 said:

Ah what  a lovely post, thank you!! I haven't been able to do much exercise in the past week for various reasons, plus the dark evenings and  strange low pressure feels have all combined I think! I've heard some people take magnesium when seasonal mood disorders arise, so I think it's time I gave that a try too.

Thank you for your kindness ☺️

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

The only way up..

To where the numbers start 🤣LowPressure.thumb.jpg.88027714dcde41964c42f94ff1a50e55.jpgie, things will improve

Edited by Pixel
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

Are you really? I think it’s 40mph winds and rain again, Jo Farrow posted something earlier but I don’t know if I’m confused

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
16 minutes ago, Donna3397 said:

Are you really? I think it’s 40mph winds and rain again, Jo Farrow posted something earlier but I don’t know if I’m confused

My chicken will fly off lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

A good explanation from Dan Holley of Weatherquest as to why some areas expecting severe gales today have escaped the worst of the winds. In a nutshell Storm Ciaran tracked further east (and I would suggest further south as well) than the models were suggesting, taking the worst of the winds on the southern flank with it.

A look back at the deterministic runs of the main global models from Wednesday (00z) for the expected track of #StormCiarán. Much of East Anglia and inland SE England narrowly missed the very strong winds as Ciarán tracked further east than forecast.

StormCiaranmodeltrackingcomparison.thumb.jpg.004276aeaccad8ca15e71c02dc612c7b.jpg

Source: X https://x.com/danholley_/status/1720170155047546913?s=20

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, Blessed Weather said:

A good explanation from Dan Holley of Weatherquest as to why some areas expecting severe gales today have escaped the worst of the winds. In a nutshell Storm Ciaran tracked further east (and I would suggest further south as well) than the models were suggesting, taking the worst of the winds on the southern flank with it.

A look back at the deterministic runs of the main global models from Wednesday (00z) for the expected track of #StormCiarán. Much of East Anglia and inland SE England narrowly missed the very strong winds as Ciarán tracked further east than forecast.

StormCiaranmodeltrackingcomparison.thumb.jpg.004276aeaccad8ca15e71c02dc612c7b.jpg

Source: X https://x.com/danholley_/status/1720170155047546913?s=20

Well after seeing what it did, thank goodness it did travel further east and south.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Managed to spend a few hours down at Newhaven harbour watching the waves

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Here's a bit of my photography recently. Really hoping for a good storm season next year to try out long exposures on. Been experimenting with angles inside and outside for my best photos.

P1290350copy.thumb.png.9432ce2768b47bfeeb7b090a46b9241f.pngP1290328copy.thumb.png.e26884f035084ca53d820d34dd5fee78.pngP1290410copy.thumb.png.41440d52746e9a0892f414215d8c8b5b.png

P1290367copy.thumb.png.358db5bbf1105b197921edf42d4abd46.pngP1290365copy.thumb.png.02e05b8ff273b787ed5cd8da0ccbd9d3.png

image.thumb.png.e7f003a5c82112db7c47d1c5749697eb.png

Edited by Eagle Eye
  • Like 7

Posted

Now all that rains cleared today, it feels decidedly chilly out there this evening. Also, looking through the numerous pictures from here and the storm Ciaran thread - I'm surprised how many people own barometers. Think I need to go and do some online shopping for one myself

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

Absolutely lashing it down here in Hailsham.

Still, we could do with the rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Front has passed through here, sunny spells after but some torrential blustery showers rattling through now, 13c.

Posted
43 minutes ago, Freeze said:

Front has passed through here, sunny spells after but some torrential blustery showers rattling through now, 13c.

Se  of maidstone heavy  ,the rest an a annoyance ,think good  rainbow looking weather ,but suns just skimming tree lines now and getting worse obviously but drop of a hat  we will be getting lighter and christmas will but just another memory ..looking north west ..then south east ..

20231104_115622.jpg

20231104_115631.jpg

Edited by TN9
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, TN9 said:

20231104_115631.jpg

Shame that cirrus wasn't thinner and part of a drier atmosphere. That would've been ideal for cloud iridescence. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Unbelievable amount of rain in this part of kent, far more than last year!! Anyone have the latest stats?

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Vortex3929 said:

Shame that cirrus wasn't thinner and part of a drier atmosphere. That would've been ideal for cloud iridescence. 

Blimey thats a word ,i thought that was the old flickery lights you had in tubes in the kitchen 🙂 ,talking of flickery I've heard no lightning or seen any thunder but lovely cloudscapes ..this is all directions ..but funny enough after this mornings frontal band  just bits and bobs 

20231104_154733~2.jpg

20231104_154753~2.jpg

20231104_154757~2.jpg

Edited by TN9
  • Like 2