Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

It's farewell from Michael Fish

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/ hot not mild muck!

Thankyou  Michael enjoy you retirement you truly are a legend! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow during Winter, Thunder during Summer.

Growing up through the early 80's Micheal Fish's forecasts were always on tv.

That's what got me into meteorology; And the netweather forecasts you done were ace.

A big thank you Micheal, for your time and effort in all aspects of the weather spectum.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Farewell Mike!  ??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

All the very best, Michael.  I remember you as a child when there were only a handful of BBC weather presenters, who presented after the main news.  I was fascinated then by what you would tell us that weather was going to do, and remain fascinated about the weather to this day.  

Posted

God bless Michael, you were the one that gave me the wonderful forecasts of heavy snow in my youth that made us all excited, Ian Mcaskill too for that matter.

Not wishing to upset anyone but If I am still allowed to say Merry Christmas in the UK these days then I want to wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas.

Thanks again for 40 years of happiness.

I'm from the area that still has the record for the coldest weather ever recorded in the UK  - 28.6C   and two meters of snow frequently, where else but Grantown on Spey   (Scotland)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Happy Retirement Michael. One of the great legends. Merry Christmas to you as-well. 

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Thanks for your contributions to Netweather Michael and your distinguished career on the TV as part of team of a hugely influential generation of BBC forecasters that inspired me and many others, old enough to remember your detailed and in depth forecasts of yesteryear, to become interested in meteorology. We won't mention that hurricane in 1987

I was lucky enough to spend 10 days with Michael on one of the first Netweather Storm US Chases back in 2008. Was a memorable trip, and your knowledge, humour and your contacts in high places in the US were invaluable, despite us not seeing any tornadoes.

Have a happy and long retirement. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

How do those storm chases work, is it with some sort of mobile weather station and a qualified meteorologist in a vehicle?

Posted

Thank you Michael for the many years of watching your marvellous forecasts on television and here on Netweather.

My abiding memory will be of December 1981 and January '82. If memory serves I believe you required  some additional magnetic discs to go down to the extremely low  minimum temperatures you were predicting. I almost fainted when you placed  a '-20' over our area.

Best wishes 

Neil (overcast)

Posted
On 25/12/2021 at 07:16, Weather-history said:

Merry Christmas everyone and all the best to Michael Fish for the future

To show just how good Michael Fish was as a BBC weather presenter, look at this short broadcast he had to put out on Christmas Eve 1999 and how much info he had to pack in, within 83 seconds. What a professional

Indeed, not to mention the training and experience enabling the preparatory work behind each and every forecast, with consideration of level of technical detail, content and  tone, then the delivery itself with the various props available in the day. Michael Fish, a real British institution and what a well-earned retirement! Merry Christmas!

• Like 3

Posted

Farewell Michael.  Thank you for your dedication and faithful service to us all.  You are a legend in your own time.  We will miss you a lot.  Take care, Stay safe and enjoy you rest.  Love from Stuart.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Thanks for all your work over the years Michael.  My interest in meteorology was helped somewhat around the period 1995-2002 by regularly watching the BBC weather forecasts, and you were among my favourite BBC forecasters, and probably the most famous one with the general public.  Enjoy your retirement and I hope your health holds up.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

And a well deserved rest for Michael, our weather king. I’m sure you’ll still have something to say re weather Michael but so appreciative of all your knowledge in years gone by. 
Much love and best wishes

Posted

Hi Michael, by the time I joined the BBC Weather fold in 2007 you'd moved-on from WX Centre days (albeit leaving the likes of Rob M, Peter G & a few others to 'carry the flag' from prior halcyon days!). Nonetheless it was always a pleasure to chat with you & hear your sage views on our daily regional UKMO conference calls when you were covering BBC SE at Tunbridge Wells. Like so many others have expressed, you were an inspiration in my younger days - and your memorable broadcasts through some key weather events have become inimitable parts of BBC history.  You have been at the vanguard of UK weather broadcasting and I wish you all the very best for your well-earned retirement. Meanwhile, Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

All the best Michael! Merry Christmas and a happy New Year

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

It’s not just your impact Mr Fish that makes this Web site the best, but in my eyes it’s your input and other professionals that’s made my interested last, over not just a few years but me personally 40 years plus in weather and its still on going

I thank you  

Now retirement is you enjoy

DWW

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Have a long and fruitful retirement. I can't believe anyone else hasn't said this yet, but in the words of another British legend,

solong.thumb.jpg.526d6e2129b67f07aaa16e3b8bec2a33.jpg

Edited by Ravelin

Posted

I was first interested in weather thanks to my nan in the 80’s. She’d always put on the Countryfile weather for the week ahead and I’d be so excited to see if it was going to thunder in the summer or snow in the winter!

Fast forward to my teens and then adulthood and that interest turned into a hobby that’s not gone away, thanks in large part to watching you and your colleagues on the BBC, then onto Netweather. 

I hope you have a happy and restful retirement and thank you for your inspiration and great forecasts.

• Like 1

Posted

Sad to hear that you are hanging up your weather station. I’m sure that I’m not not alone in regarding you as the face of British weather forecasting during its “golden age” You seamlessly adapted from (supposedly) magnetic weather symbols to the computerised green screen forecasts.
Along with the late sir Patrick Moore, you inspired my childhood interests in Astronomy and Meteorology.  I’m now in my 50’s and still watch the “weather for the week ahead”, that I 1st watched you present in the 70’s, when it used to be tagged onto the end of “Farming” at lunchtime on Sundays on BBC1 

My best wishes for you in your continued retirement,

Regards 

Jarrod Williams 

• Like 2

Posted

As an avid 15 year old in 1963 that spurned my lifelong interest and study into Meteorology, Michael was instrumental in that time of learning what isobars was and occluded fronts.  Thise weather guys did a far better job in weather forecasting using standard analogue measurements from stations dotted around the country and high level Balloons.  I wonder he thinks of 16%C  in a few days time.   Thats truly very worrying, because it means, the prevailing winds are defiinatly turning South more than Southwest.  We just dont get these directions or warm plumes in December. On a very detailed map . of the day to day lead up to the 1963 winter. Eastbourne and kent were in the main firing line, But through all those weeks, ONE thing was normal, The bitter East Siberian Strong winds.

since some years now the Beast from the East has not shown itself, and I found a scientific global site to tell me why.   China and canada are having extreme weather and tempatures today,  But Russia and Siberia  has been ravaged by the changes in climate, some from vast forest fires, that also added to the warming, and as the perma frost started to melt, the Methane lakes and pools replaced the Ice that had been in place for  millenia.   This change means The Siberian winters are no longer strong enough to now push into Europe, even theres a blocking Scandinavian High in place. Even in the summer, the cool east windows which made life comfortable in Summer has long gone, leaving the South east part of uk like a Medditeranian resort area.  Trust me 40 years ago, no plants or palms survived the bitter east winds in Eastourne, my home town, now i have seen multiple palm trees at the Redoubt, that scientifically should exist, because we had Blizzards of the sea more times than i can remember. So its doubtful we will ever see another 63 without the Siberian Cold air mass. happy retirement Michael. 

• Like 1