Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion

Posted

What a pleasant sound to wake up to, RAIN....at long last, and the best kind gentle and avoiding run-off.

Must be visitors

image.thumb.png.05271ea5501bc36a11d18057fdb2c27b.png

So the overnight low of 16.4°C at: 05:16, has moved slightly upwards to 18.5°C , RH90% and light air movement from the N. Rainfall so far 1.4mm and still raining..

From a radar perspective

image.thumb.png.8fc2d2623549b33f24ce694f9af9085c.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Seems we have a similar problem to yesterday so far… nuisance rain (although needed) and a lot of flat cloud around. Only this time the rain is east of here not west.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe

Yellow radar blobs heading towards Bristol. It's either rain or custard. Please let it be rain.

• Thanks 1

Posted
43 minutes ago, dr weather said:

Yellow radar blobs heading towards Bristol. It's either rain or custard. Please let it be rain.

It's clear custard, I can confirm as it's still coming down here

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Looks like part of our region is in for heavy rain/possible storms tonight going by the warning & checking the radar prediction for later on. 

God I hope it does pour down, desperately need the rain, had a hedgehog drinking for 10 long minutes from one of the many shallow bowls of water I leave out in the garden the other night, poor thing was so thirsty! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, Smartie said:

Looks like part of our region is in for heavy rain/possible storms tonight going by the warning & checking the radar prediction for later on. 

God I hope it does pour down, desperately need the rain, had a hedgehog drinking for 10 long minutes from one of the many shallow bowls of water I leave out in the garden the other night, poor thing was so thirsty! 

Funny you mention hedgehogs, we had one in our garden before 19.00 yesterday evening. Very surprised and quite concerned it should be active at that time. It, too, quickly took advantage of a plate of water.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.
11 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

Funny you mention hedgehogs, we had one in our garden before 19.00 yesterday evening. Very surprised and quite concerned it should be active at that time. It, too, quickly took advantage of a plate of water.

At this time of year with the short nights it's not uncommon to see them out around that time, if you ever see one moving slowly, looking lethargic or just sat out in the open not moving at that time of the evening at this time of year then it's probably in trouble & needs help. I took one of my visitors to my local wildlife rescue a few weeks back

• Insightful 1

Posted

Custard has eased off now (!) but the channel looks interesting, just concerned it might swing to the west rather than keep heading NNW. RH92% and it's dripping off me working in the garden! 2mm so far today, really hoping for more later, but my hopes are not high on that.

Meanwhile on Golden sands, whilst the breaks in the cloud are now obvious, sheltering under the Pier seems to be the favourite event today..

image.thumb.png.bb0762f0f6fea73909c063d6ed88435f.png

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Cloudy with intermittent, moderate rain here.  Not particularly cool but not overly warm either.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty, lots of snow and good ol fashion thunderstorms.
13 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

How am I braver LOL?!

I'm still in a t-shirt and a cardigan . 😂😂😂😂

• Like 1

Posted

Had 3 hedgehogs in garden the other evening , very thirsty drinking from a watering hole I made for the birds squirrels and now hedgehogs 😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, nettie said:

I'm still in a t-shirt and a cardigan . 😂😂😂😂

Really? I have been in shorts and T for the last three years, waiting for it to get cold and wintery... But then again, it's not really kicked in winter down here for the last few years, so shorts and T will easily survive.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, nettie said:

Had 3 hedgehogs in garden the other evening , very thirsty drinking from a watering hole I made for the birds squirrels and now hedgehogs 😊

Did have a friendly garden hedgehog, but rats took over it's home. Got rid of the rats, but the hedgehog has never returned...sad, as it was great to see it wander around the garden, far better than damn rats.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Dorsetbred said:

Did have a friendly garden hedgehog, but rats took over it's home. Got rid of the rats, but the hedgehog has never returned...sad, as it was great to see it wander around the garden, far better than damn rats.

Definitely  better than rats !  Only ever seen one rat in the garden and that was because one of my old cats had caught it from somewhere . Soon got rid of that bugger.   This is one of my little friends.

Could contain:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe

Impressive CZ storm line developing to the east of Swindon and northward.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
2 minutes ago, dr weather said:

Impressive CZ storm line developing to the east of Swindon and northward.

Looks like missing our area unfortunately. 

• Like 2

Posted

@SilverWolf @MrNooo don't know if I'm imagining it but can you hear very distant thunder every so often? Almost feel it rumbling rather than hear. Very odd. If so that's pretty amazing. ⚡⚡

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 4 seasons please
41 minutes ago, bellanite said:

@SilverWolf @MrNooo don't know if I'm imagining it but can you hear very distant thunder every so often? Almost feel it rumbling rather than hear. Very odd. If so that's pretty amazing. ⚡⚡

Yes, I am in Dursley and can also hear constant rumbles of thunder in distance

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
1 hour ago, offerman said:

Looks like missing our area unfortunately. 

Looks like a bust for us...

I can't work it out because the bbc forecast shows a direct hit for us between now and midnight?  😔

Posted

My daughter has had thunder in Andover. All we had was a few drops of rain. Temp dropping now .

• Like 1

Posted

Epic storm here, could hear the Oxford cell rumbling for well over an hour, eventually we managed one here, guess from the outflow??

anyway a pic from the pub just before it all kicked off.

Could contain:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
33 minutes ago, Nights King said:

Looks like a bust for us...

I can't work it out because the bbc forecast shows a direct hit for us between now and midnight?  😔

We miss out again. Even worse things is, it looks like all we'll get is the crud from the storms. Might not even get any rain.

Edited by SteveB
  • Like 1

Posted

What an incredible storm we had. Torrential rain,massive gusts, strobe lightning and continuous rumbling to start with. Then came the hailstones battering the windows and cars and the rivers for roads. Then as the storm  passed over numerous, massive CG strikes overhead. Temperature dropped 10c in minutes.  We now have a cool evening (18c) with persistent rain- and it's lovely!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
5 minutes ago, SteveB said:

We miss out again. Even worse things is, it looks like all we'll get is the crud from the storms. Might not even get any rain.

I just wanted the rain for my lawn and veg plot. Looks like I'll need the sprinkler again. 

• Like 1