Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Storm Eunice - 18th February

Posted

If you're posting about this being a dud or a load of hype, we'll remember you later when we're picking up roofing slates and trying to hold our fences up. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
Just now, Nick L said:

We're in the "denial" and "bust" stage of discussion. Happens with all weather events on here whether they verify perfectly or not.

Agreed......to be honest I personally hope it is a dud but eunice has barely made landfall.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
2 minutes ago, Mark Smithy said:

What is wrong with some (quite a lot of ) people?

It's clearly a very damaging storm with official gusts already up to 88 mph, at least one unofficial at 95 mph and the worst still coming. Just because in your back yard you're not experiencing it (yet) doesn't mean you should disengage your intelligence.

Dont feed them

• Like 6

Posted

Vis satellite now clearly showing the shower-clouds in/around the Bristol Channel becoming more elongated as the stronger mid-level gusts set in. 

image?type=visual&region=gb
EN.SAT24.COM

Weather United Kingdom and Ireland, Satellite Weather United Kingdom and Ireland, Weather Forecast, Rainfall, Clouds, Sun in United Kingdom and Ireland - SAT24.com

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

I'm not sure what people want.. do they want their roofs to be ripped off their houses in order to feel justified in the event being as severe as expected? 

Doesn't matter what people want. 

The weather doesn't listen. 

Otherwise we'd have 1963 winters every year

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes
4 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

59mph - new station record!

Why couldn't it be 60?! **Shakes fist**

I was gonna predict 61mph lastnight..should have now you might have given me a prize

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Quite a lot of my colleagues are saying it’s all hyped up and refuse to acknowledge the severity. No emails from work with regards to driving around doing jobs either… 

I’m up here keeping an eye on how the day develops up here. It’s breezy but sunny and cold.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Winds picking up here now. One thing I've already learnt today in my new home, inglenook fireplaces act like echo chambers. One gust sounded like thunder coming down the chimney, so loud and the storm's not even got here yet.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, southern_softie said:

does it have a battery back up to keep recording, or do you just get a gap?

The weather station is battery powered, but the display I have is fairly limited (but can run on battery for a few days) so I rely more on the ambient weather dashboard for detailed info, but that requires an internet connection.
I managed got an old mobile wifi-router running and found a laptop with some life in it so I could get the station data back online. So no significant gaps in the data yet. Now it's just a case of which batteries die first!

Edited by BornFromTheVoid
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, beckyonsea said:

Very calm here until ten minutes ago. Looking at social media people are ignoring the warnings and heading off to work as 'oh the met office have got it wrong'. Argh.

Sounds about right, if only everyone had our hobby eh. They just don't know what's coming, they should but trust has gone. People think they know better themselves, than experts do.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Really gusty on the West Sussex coast. It seems like the gusts are short and sharp, so even if not as strong, will cause some major damage, when the worst arrives. All West Sussex schools are closed or are closing, which says a lot about the upcoming wind.

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Frostbite1980 said:

Its not even 10am yet and some are calling dud.....I hope the same people don't come on later and moan they lost a fence lol

Agree ....Can the damp squib brigade give it a rest .....its tedious as my son now wants me to drive him too work as he is reading all this 'what storm 'bullocks ...let it play out ...then you can moan

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Already seeing gusts of around 50mph in exposure in Bexhill

• Like 2

Blue sky and sunshine here in West London, quite pleasant with it beaming through the window!

Warning for this part of the UK starts now so we'll see what happens over the next few hours, at present it feels like a normal windy winters day, fingers crossed it stays like that!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

Vis satellite now clearly showing the shower-clouds in/around the Bristol Channel becoming more elongated as the stronger mid-level gusts set in. 

image?type=visual&region=gb
EN.SAT24.COM

Weather United Kingdom and Ireland, Satellite Weather United Kingdom and Ireland, Weather Forecast, Rainfall, Clouds, Sun in United Kingdom and Ireland - SAT24.com

Was just about to say the same text book.. long shaped showers are a sign of very very strong winds mixing down 

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

Can't keep up with this thread, it's moving so fast! Winds really picked up here, doesn't seem to go with the accompanying blue skies.

Managed to go out for shopping earlier and on the way back branches and twigs were already on the roads. Probably worse to come, although I am seeing lots of posts on FB saying it's all over and what was the fuss about.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

My mum had to bring all the movable objects from our garden into our dining area because one of her flower pot has smashed from the wind, I hope our dining area doesn't become a mud pit 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

I blame all the sensational Armageddon weather hype in the media for making the public not take actual events seriously. Even up here on the road  I have food, drink, a battery bank, communication, means of making 240V power, clothing and enough battery lighting to keep me safe.

• Like 6