Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Eunice - 18th February

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
4 hours ago, MattStoke said:

Latest UKMO maximum wind gusts. The extent of winds around or in excess of 70mph is quite something!

ukmohd_uk1_52_22_0taz0.png

Whatever the light pink purple means, there even more of it on the SE coastal areas now.

• Like 2

Posted

Fence down!

V windy up the top of Kingsbridge. Correct decision to shut schools etc. Absolutely no safe at all.

Wine shop where I work is shut this morning, hopefully in later this afternoon once it calms a little...20220218_084225.thumb.jpg.3dc65ed71fb57ae7e809752414475080.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

Wind gusts are starting to pick up now. Probably gusts of around 45mph

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

It's taken its time, but the gusts are properly picking up now. I don't have an anemometer, but from past experience (many years living here) I'd say we're up to somewhere around 40mph now. A big concern is that people who haven't followed things closely will look out the window at this and think "Ah, they've overdone the warnings again." While in some ways a daytime storm is less scary than a similar one at night, it does also mean a lot more people out and about, however many warnings are issued.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, alexisj9 said:

Whatever the light pink purple means, there even more of it on the SE coastal areas now.

You would think that whoever creates these charts would consider their colour scheme, since when has purple and pink brought more awareness/danger than red - would tie in with warning colours as well, maybe they should just adopt yellow, amber, red colours.

But just a thought.

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, Gizzy said:

You would think that whoever creates these charts would consider their colour scheme, since when has purple and pink brought more awareness/danger than red - would tie in with warning colours as well, maybe they should just adopt yellow, amber, red colours.

But just a thought.

Good point! And no consistency across platforms so one site's dark grey is another's livid pink etc.

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Gizzy said:

But just a thought.

The brighter the colour is, the more attention it will draw, therefore meaning more damaging gusts.

• Like 1

Posted

Radio 5 weather expert is saying a "sting jet" situation a la 1987 and St. Jude's Storms is unlikely today, that's the first bit of good news I've heard.

• Like 4

Posted
7 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

I must be reading that wrongly as it has the prediction as 23:00? It does say to the right 22 hrs. Bit confused what the actual time of this chart is?

• Like 2

Posted

we need to watching closely to were the sting jet forms, if this happens winds can increase to easily 100mph gusts, currently looking like forming in a line from Midlands down through East Anglia, from middle of the day through the afternoon,  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

This site does it pretty well with the colours. Obvious and, as you said Gizzy, the red for warning / danger which ties in with the Met Office.

Anyway, 88 mph now at Mumbles

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

Données des rafales de vent en France et dans les pays limitrophes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Liam Burge said:

The brighter the colour is, the more attention it will draw, therefore meaning more damaging gusts.

Yeah I get the meaning about it but you can use different shades of yellow, amber and red - getting to crimson red for the peak etc. For me, it would just make more sense and more user friendly.

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Wivenswold said:

Radio 5 weather expert is saying a "sting jet" situation a la 1987 and St. Jude's Storms is unlikely today, that's the first bit of good news I've heard.

Gusts currently half of what was forecast here...thats another plus!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

Just noticed the first bit of damage - I've lot a ridge tile off the end of the garage roof.   Must have happened during the stronger gusts we had earlier today.  Amazingly, for a heavy concrete tile, it was blown 2 metres away from the garage and landed unbroken!   However, it's left a weak spot on the roof which the wind can exploit if it gets up again later -  hope I don't lose any more of the roof!   Must admit I wasn't expecting any damage this early on. 

Edited by Sky Full
  • Like 2

Posted
Just now, KTtom said:

Gusts currently half of what was forecast here...thats another plus!

Same here; was forecast 60mph gusts from the Met and I would say it peaked at around 45mph

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, GSP said:

I must be reading that wrongly as it has the prediction as 23:00? It does say to the right 22 hrs. Bit confused what the actual time of this chart is?

That's the highest gust for the day, so it's not for a specific time of day but the highest wind upto that time.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, AmberRose said:

I’ve been watching the below, I think it’s snowing now?

https://www.porthcawl-lifeboat.co.uk/live-streaming/

Bearing in mind it’s a couple of hours past high tide, it appears they have dodged a bullet here as the stronger winds and waves come in.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Just a strong breeze here in Brum at the moment. We are normally largely shielded by the strongest winds due to being on a plateau so not expecting 70mph gusts.

• Like 1