Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Storm Eunice - 18th February

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Gusting to 74 mph at Liverpool airport now. Wind roaring around the house.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Well after the lull, the gusts are really picking up again. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold
2 minutes ago, Donegal said:

1 fatality in Ireland due to the storm.

Uh oh it has started

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

The deep rumbling background sound is back with the vicious gusts..more nw now..

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

This is violent!!!!. Tremendous raw through the trees!!

• Like 1

Posted
51 minutes ago, KTtom said:

Got off lightly in West Wales considering some were questioning why the Met hadn't gone Red in this area...top gust 70 mph, same as Wednesday. Winds now moderating to gusts 50 - 55 mph.

Spoke too soon....just had 81 mph!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!
On 17/02/2022 at 17:30, Tamara said:

So lots of comparisons on this thread with storms of yesteryear but the 2013/14 yardstick looks to me a good one for the present stormy spell. If I recall correctly when I lived on the SE coast back in the UK, one of the strongest of those storms produced gusts in excess of 80mph (as evidenced in the late evening of that particular storm when a section of the neighbours roof was whisked off into the night sky and crashed into the street some 60 yards away. The street lamps were flickering on and off like disco lights!).   I think that a high amber warning stuck throughout that storm (at least in my locality) so bearing in mind all the way along the south coasts it looks set for gusts up to at least 80mph, it will be interesting to see what happens this time an it is not a given there will any upgrading (there at least) from 'high amber'.

Its self quoting as i sometimes do - but like to revisit these things as they evolve

The red warning did come after all then- and that is very significant to me in respect certainly for my own old location, which traditionally is windier close to the coast and therefore takes a greater degree of impact in relative terms than further inland to merit a red warning. All my time living there, there wasn't (at least from memory) ever a red warning produced. Though that could admittedly be proved wrong going back to one of the stronger storms in the 00 decade which is a long time in the memory vaults of severe weather events.  Notwithstanding that though, looking at the high resolution modelling - the SE coastal strip looks to now be seeing wind gusts perhaps in excess of 80mph and therefore maybe a tad stronger than the 2013/14 storm referenced in yesterdays post.   

My Portuguese friend, who has been back in the UK for a while, says that she lost both internet and power late morning and many people apparently are without power between Hastings and Bexhill and fallen trees are blocking roads around both towns. She is located quite close to the seafront, a street away from it - so little to protect from the exposure of the gusts coming off the channel. . Other than flickering lights and bits of roofing coming off the power stayed intact during the windstorms I lived in the locality. So am quite happy to be missing out on any of that for sure.

I think wherever one might be in the UK, and whether in the path of the storm or not - the prevailing view should be that this has evolved into quite a noteworthy storm and one that is certainly matching the numerical modelling of it as predicted in the build up to it

• Like 8

Posted
32 minutes ago, Josh Rubio said:

Seems like a total non event here in the Midlands. Just seems like a regular windy day? 

Im in hinckley and would disagree id be surprised if trees are not down in some places that are more exposed even round here. The winds have picked up since you posted this though mind on the back side of the low.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails

Grabbed an hour sleep as I did an all nighter last night and I'm shocked to wake up to so much damage locally on mu Facebook  just seen the state of the o2!! It's  sounding double the noise out there to an hour ago. 

Edited by Essex Chelle

Posted
11 minutes ago, Evie Aviation said:

Just seen a video online of a hole in the 02 arena roof. I’m filming at Heathrow and have lost count of how many planes have had to go around 

Go and say hello to bigjet tv man. over 200k are watching that stream

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Starting to get gusty here in Bradford. Nowhere as nasty with what’s happening down south but time will tell as the storm moves out.

Working late today too so I won’t know what is happening or happened in East Leeds till after 10pm, aside from power outages when my power backup starts emailing.

• Like 1

Posted

Actually gone very quiet now, we are only getting big gusts with showers so far today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

First fallen tree and it’s a clean cut not rotten

B7420F1B-F321-4F57-874A-1A46B201D9F3.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder

Finally…. On the way out of Cowes Harbour….. The Solent looks choppy …..and it is very bumpy…. Some huge waves ….

Interesting manoeuvring…. Clearly couldn’t turn  ferry broadside to go towards Southampton, so swung completely into the wind, stopped and then went in the opposite direction…benefits of a double ended boat I guess!

Edited by John Stevens
  • Like 2