Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 1st August 2022 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

25c and largely sunny this afternoon.

interesting 'mushrooming' just starting out at sea...

20220905_181055.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!
3 minutes ago, ResonantChannelThunder said:

19.43 sunset here tonight - probably a minute or two later for you. While this is depressing on the face of it given we've lost 1 hour 40 mins on the solstice, it has its silver linings in terms of opening up more of the evening for storm photography, yes!

I'm not entirely sure what to expect this evening

Is this the main event that we are seeing out west, or are there other opportunities later on?  

This is from the Netweather forecast 

Through this evening and overnight, there looks to be a more organise push for clusters of thunderstorms to break out, as upper support increase with a shortwave trough, currently to the NW of Iberia to the west of the Bay of Biscay, ejects NE towards SW Britain this evening 

Is this what we are seeing?  As UKv doesn't show that much interest for later on... I'm confused 🤔

Posted
1 minute ago, Southern Storm said:

I'm not entirely sure what to expect this evening

Is this the main event that we are seeing out west, or are there other opportunities later on?  

This is from the Netweather forecast 

Through this evening and overnight, there looks to be a more organise push for clusters of thunderstorms to break out, as upper support increase with a shortwave trough, currently to the NW of Iberia to the west of the Bay of Biscay, ejects NE towards SW Britain this evening 

Is this what we are seeing?  As UKv doesn't show that much interest for later on... I'm confused 🤔

im going with dans forecast. this lot is the main event coming through now. as pointed out on another forum the trough is further east etc now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
Just now, sheikhy said:

Dont tell me im about to get hit by another lightning storm tonight in the space of 18 hours🤣😍😍!!!

I hope it's not too late in the night this time,needs to be earlier than 2:00 am,...much sooner like 10:pm 🙂

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Non stop thunder in Seaton

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

I hope it's not too late in the night this time,needs to be earlier than 2:00 am,...much sooner like 10:pm 🙂

Yes defo mate thats exactly what im thinking!was a a bit late last nigght even though it woke me up but this time it looks like it will hit at the perfect time🔥!!!well im hoping it does😒!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Sferics S of Hull now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
5 minutes ago, viking_smb said:

im going with dans forecast. this lot is the main event coming through now. as pointed out on another forum the trough is further east etc now.

Agreed. I'd be very surprised if more cells broke out behind this band. I expect it to expand eastwards as it travels north as there are already signs of more storms breaking out south of the C. Islands. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and all extreme weather! :)

Does anyone else think that the tail-end of this storm will reach the Isle of Wight/Southampton area?

I think i'll be able to see a bit of it as it passes by, but I'm not too sure. What do you think?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundersnow

Just a little excited now!! Looks like I could be in a good spot here in Ilminster 🤞🏻🤞🏻 currently stood outside under the porch looking South  Switching from app to app, detector to detector Nw thread to thread 😜😜

• Like 2

Lightning certainly slowing down on the northern half of the storms, overall sferic rates has dropped 60% in the last 30mins. The southern channel again the juiciest. 

Just to add I think Cornwall & Devon are now out of the game, Dorset, Somerset look like getting leftovers, best hope is now Hants IMO.

Edited by Alderc

Posted
3 minutes ago, Thunderspotter said:

Does anyone else think that the tail-end of this storm will reach the Isle of Wight/Southampton area?

I think i'll be able to see a bit of it as it passes by, but I'm not too sure. What do you think?

Oh yeah I think you could see something

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Them cells between Le Mans and Rennes need watching for more SE areas. Sussex, Kent and EA. 

• Like 2

Posted
23 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Dont tell me im about to get hit by another lightning storm tonight in the space of 18 hours🤣😍😍!!!

We look a bit too far east for tonight unless things have recently changed.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Just had a look out of some of our windows and the clouds do look a bit more unstable looking compared to earlier with some more bulky looking cumulus around so maybe there will be something this evening?

Hope it holds off a bit so that nothing happens until it gets dark though as I wan't a nighttime storm.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundersnow

Wow!! Just wow!! Huuge squall just came through, crazy wind gusts

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms/Rain
29 minutes ago, ResonantChannelThunder said:

image.thumb.png.d34605b0c6da0192d9694e726ccfa572.png

That little cell near Jersey is racing to catch up with the line! We're hopefully looking at it joining up and things expanding down there.

Hope so Lance. Last night was fair but too much crud so only a handful of photos caught something decent! 
plus the rain was mental. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
23 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

My belief for an active end of august and into September is turning out to be correct so far! The benefits of our warm seas are now being felt. They’re actually creating these storms, assisting them, instead of killing them! 

Yes, E.E.W. 

Not being a fan of Thunder but being half Italian, England seems to be developing a Mediterranean type climate,

Summer Months being dominated by dry heat and High Pressure, and the Thunder threat coming in the transition from Summer to Autumn, as High Pressure starts to give way as moist Atlantic air begins to infiltrate the Mediterranean Basin.

They obviously get Thunder in the Summer but this is mainly due to converging winds from the Adriatic and Mediterranean, meeting over the Apennine Mountain chain, running down the spine of Italy. Eventually these T/Storms drift down into the Plains either side of the Apennine Mountains, depending on which is the more dominant arm, of the converging winds.

Here in S.E. London we have now had Two Thundery episodes, in the past few Weeks. This coming after a Thunder free June/July and most of August. Very unusual for S.E. London.

I was fortunate enough to meet S.E,. Meteorologist Ian Currie, a few Years ago and his very salient words are still ringing, in my ears. He stated, "It can be as hot as Hell but if there is no trigger in the Atmosphere, it simply won't Thunder".

Mr. Currie's words have certainly rung true, in recent Years, down in the S.E. Region.

Regards,

Tom Q. 👍 

• Like 9