Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Does the possibility of a cold winter this year worry you?

Sunny76

Are you concerned about the possibility of a cold winter this year?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. How concerned are you?

• Very
    • Fairly
    • Not at all

Posted
18 hours ago, Don said:

Whilst I'm concerned about increasing energy prices, I'm not worried about a cold winter as the bills are going to be extortionate, whether it's mild or cold.  That said, if we were to have a 1946/7, 1962/3 or 1978/9 redux (extremely unlikely), then yes that would be a concern!  However, what I don't want to see on here this winter is guilt tripping those who get excited about the prospects of cold and snow!

I get guilt tripped for loving summer heat and winter cold (and snow). No-one ever seems to guilt trip those who like Atlantic storms with endless grey sky, wind and rain, though, which is the one weather type I hate.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
4 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

I get guilt tripped for loving summer heat and winter cold (and snow). No-one ever seems to guilt trip those who like Atlantic storms with endless grey sky, wind and rain, though, which is the one weather type I hate.

You must be reading a different forum to me. Sadly, all weather types are the subject of petty guilt tripping I can assure you by the number of posts we have to delete. Storm Eunice just one example when it was rife.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 9

Posted

I would prefer as much still weather, or High Pressure as possible.  And the cheery on the cake would be easterly components and drier air.  in my opinion it's all about the dampness the air rather than the temperature really. A frosty period in December it's easy to keep the house warm and even open windows in the morning to clean the air, not so much in a cold wet period. Any way we'll get all sorts in reality.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Downburst said:

I would prefer as much still weather, or High Pressure as possible.  And the cheery on the cake would be easterly components and drier air.  in my opinion it's all about the dampness the air rather than the temperature really. A frosty period in December it's easy to keep the house warm and even open windows in the morning to clean the air, not so much in a cold wet period. Any way we'll get all sorts in reality.

Not a great lover of Easterlies in high Summer, despite the usually high temps. An Easterly, in Summer esp,  imports all the polluted air from the continent. A few days of that air sees a pollution haze set in.

One really noticeable aspect of this Summer's warmth and heat, has been the lack of pollution haze as the AH has been mainly responsible for our warm and sunny source.

Posted
59 minutes ago, Radiating Dendrite said:

True, but then a home insulated like an electric blanket is not the best thing come our ever warming summers.

Insulation works both ways. Good loft insulation stops you losing heat but it also stops the heat in the attic on hot sunny days heating your ceilings and thus the rooms below.

Similarly wall insulation reduces heat transfer from the outer brickwork to the inner and then into your rooms. Of course it doesn't make much difference if you allow the sunshine through your windows to heat up the interior of your home.

We really should be considering exterior shutters or blinds on south facing windows to keep the worst of the heat out.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Yes and no, I'm very concerned regarding the increase, in the already ludicrously priced gas and electricity. I worry about the elderly and everyone else, who's struggling massively, while this inept government sit back and do nothing, probably due to the fact that, there major shareholders in the energy companies etc etc, but that's enough of that. I'd love a very snowy winter, with proper snow, not the usual snow showers here and there, with huge variations from village to village etc. As long as there's some decent rain for us in the south east, in between frequent cold spells, I'll be happy 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
37 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Insulation works both ways. Good loft insulation stops you losing heat but it also stops the heat in the attic on hot sunny days heating your ceilings and thus the rooms below.

Similarly wall insulation reduces heat transfer from the outer brickwork to the inner and then into your rooms. Of course it doesn't make much difference if you allow the sunshine through your windows to heat up the interior of your home.

We really should be considering exterior shutters or blinds on south facing windows to keep the worst of the heat out.

Shutters make a world of difference.  I think there should be serious consideration for new builds to include shutters.  Significantly cheaper and use no energy compared to air conditioning but can keep the house significantly cooler than it otherwise would be.

• Like 2

Posted

Stories like the one on BBC news does nothing to reassure me 😞 

Energy bills will hit £4,266 for a typical household by January next year, warns consultancy Cornwall Insight.

a mild winter will benefit those worst hit by super high energy bills, even though i would love to see a 'proper' winter for a change here in the SE

• Like 1

Posted
14 hours ago, Don said:

Right I'll save this post until March 1st, just in case lol!  In the meantime, can you advise the next winning lottery numbers please?! 😉

Because I know it won’t happen. We’ve not had a winter like that in 44 years, and the closest to that was winter 2009/10.

Posted
3 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Because I know it won’t happen. We’ve not had a winter like that in 44 years, and the closest to that was winter 2009/10.

Oh alright then..... ☺️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

I'd not advise anyone to stop paying their bills, that sounds like a recipe for trouble. Nothing stopping the energy companies from issuing CCJ's in the most severe of debts. I've been cancelling the little stuff and i've managed to budget for mine to be as high as £400/month. Granted work overtime makes up a good portion of that, especially the upcoming overtime over Christmas and New year.

Something else that concerns me somewhat, is the potential energy security if the UK and moreso the EU got a nasty winter and Putin didn't let the gas flow. We rely on the interconnects when the wind slows or demand is high due to conditions.

Posted
5 hours ago, Stelmer said:

I'd not advise anyone to stop paying their bills, that sounds like a recipe for trouble. Nothing stopping the energy companies from issuing CCJ's in the most severe of debts. I've been cancelling the little stuff and i've managed to budget for mine to be as high as £400/month. Granted work overtime makes up a good portion of that, especially the upcoming overtime over Christmas and New year.

Something else that concerns me somewhat, is the potential energy security if the UK and moreso the EU got a nasty winter and Putin didn't let the gas flow. We rely on the interconnects when the wind slows or demand is high due to conditions.

What if and I mean a big if, that certain people can’t afford it. There’s going to be those who have no choice, because they don’t earn enough money to cover the cost of energy prices. 

I also don’t agree with people having to work longer hours or extra days just to cover the extra costs.

Overworked people become sick much quicker. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

So long as it’s a northern blast I’ll cope. It’s when the wind is in the east as it was 2018 when this flat got bitterly cold as the lounge faces that way. 

I’ll top up the electric meter from next pay day and ride it out. 

Posted
1 minute ago, philglossop said:

So long as it’s a northern blast I’ll cope. It’s when the wind is in the east as it was 2018 when this flat got bitterly cold as the lounge faces that way. 

I’ll top up the electric meter from next pay day and ride it out. 

Kind of hope we don’t see anything like that this year. A cold spell, even just for a few days will be extremely dangerous for most people living on the breadline. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

Having recently moved I to an incredibly well Insulated brand new build house I am not too worried for myself, but I find the prospects for people on benefits and limited incomes  truly frightening.

Edited by Chesil View
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow
1 minute ago, Sunny76 said:

Kind of hope we don’t see anything like that this year. A cold spell, even just for a few days will be extremely dangerous for most people living on the breadline. 

Exactly.

One thing being in a flat is I have a condenser tumble dryer which I use when it’s winter. That throws out a Lot of heat so rather than warm the spare bedroom- that can go into the lounge- and that will help. May not look good but that heat will help! 

Posted
57 minutes ago, Chesil View said:

Having recently moved I to an incredibly well Insulated brand new build house I am not too worried for myself, but I find the prospects for people on benefits and limited incomes  truly frightening.

This winter, will kill more people than the 35-40c we experienced, even a week or 7c or below will be difficult, but a few 0c days will be fatal. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.
3 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

What if and I mean a big if, that certain people can’t afford it. There’s going to be those who have no choice, because they don’t earn enough money to cover the cost of energy prices. 

I also don’t agree with people having to work longer hours or extra days just to cover the extra costs.

Overworked people become sick much quicker. 

Oh yeah, peeps really need help. It can't keep rising.

My fixed deal expires this month. Contemplating another fixed deal for 1 or 2 years at current price but yet to call them.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Good thread I was just thinking about this. Financially it doesn't worry me but for many it will. I'll probably get less likes on Facebook if I say bring on the cold 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool and quiet; snow can be nice too
On 09/08/2022 at 11:26, MAF said:

Stories like the one on BBC news does nothing to reassure me 😞 

a mild winter will benefit those worst hit by super high energy bills, even though i would love to see a 'proper' winter for a change here in the SE

This, tbh.

2022-23 would be the worst possible timing for anything like the kind of winter we saw in 2010-11 given the energy prices (and their geopolitical context!) - and that is the context for which I would hope for a mild winter this year. (A wet one, too. Significant infrastructure is crying out for a winter full of frontal rain.)

In a vacuum, I too would happily take a winter full of sharp cold and plenty of snow, especially if it meant avoiding dangerous Atlantic storms like Eunice (the single most terrifying buildup to a weather event I can ever remember).

We don't live in a vacuum. 😞

And so as @Sunny76 said, a cold winter (even without that context, but dramatically moreso with it) would have a death toll to dwarf this heat - and it's not like the death toll from this heat is small either, the provisional estimate for last month's heat storm was 1,000 excess deaths.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

The jet Stream has given us Hot weather this Summer...if the Jet stream remains dormant this Winter we will experience exceptional cold   😱

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

Realistically the chance of a severely cold winter nowadays is low, so I doubt one will even happen.

IMO I would say that a dry, bright winter with average temps would be best. I find wet, gloomy winters of the 2019/20 type a real trial to get through. If people are struggling, one argument is that dull, wet, gloomy weather is just going to make them feel worse psychologically. Hence benign, bright weather with average temps would be best overall for many.

A warm autumn and early start to spring would help probably more than a mild, wet winter.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1