Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Does the possibility of a cold winter this year worry you?

Sunny76

Are you concerned about the possibility of a cold winter this year?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. How concerned are you?

• Very
    • Fairly
    • Not at all

Posted

Quite a few of us would love to see cold frosty sunny days, and some snow, but with the rise in energy bills, are you hoping for a milder winter instead, and how concerned are you?

Edited by Paul
Added a poll as it could be an interesting addition to the discussion
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty

To be honest no.  They have hiked my energy monthly direct debit up anyway even though my gas consumption is very low.  I hope that hike and the money the government will be giving me will cover me for winter.  I suppose it also depends on the property and where you live?  I live on the edge of woods and farmland so I find I still need to heat the bungalow even in a so called mild winter because if the weather is mild but damp and wet enough the property needs heating for that reason.  It is a detached property and in close proximity to woods, which must have a bearing on it all.  The multi-fuel burner works hard all winter to keep my home warm.  The heating engineer suggested I needed to fire the boiler up to keel it ticking over so in winter I do oblige by putting the heating on each morning for 15 mins at most.  I also get the woolly dresses and jumpers out in winter though.

I can fully understand and appreciate why people are concerned though.   

• Like 2

Posted

Yes, because it will be my first winter living in a new house, having moved from a small flat, so I already have no idea how much it will cost exactly to heat it, I can only estimate. We've bought additional sherpa blankets and hot water bottles just in case.

I usually love a cold winter but I'm worried about money this year.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Hopefully mild and wet given bills and also the water shortage.

Transitioning to a post fossil fuel world was never going to be cheap.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Considering the likelihood of a proper cold winter (especially in my locale) is something like 100/1 nowadays, then no, not really.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

every winter is cold here..doesn't matter if it is -4c or -40c it cost the same in gas and electric ..only thing i might do is turn off the heating completely when im not at home

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

To be honest, my house is so poorly insulated that I probably wouldn't use much more heating at -5C than I would at +5C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

I don't want to fill the boots of EON. Other greedy energy companies are available.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

As many people as possible should just keep their heating off for as long as possible and hit the energy companies where it hurts!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

I think the best outcome would be a mild winter overall with 2 or 3 short sharp snowy periods of 2-4 days to satisfy us coldies - I'll just use blanets and my cats to keep me warm in those periods.

• Like 7

Posted

No sorry but cold and snow is far more interesting than mild. I am personally hoping for an autumn/winter like this:

Sunny, hot Sep, very wet Oct/Nov (to ease drought), cold, snowy Dec/Jan, springlike but wet Feb/Mar. This way if it’s dry in the summer again the drought won’t be such a problem.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Radiating Dendrite said:

Hopefully mild and wet given bills and also the water shortage.

Transitioning to a post fossil fuel world was never going to be cheap.

Mild and wet in winter can feel every bit as cold as freezing weather.. given lack of any solar input it makes little difference really. Key issue isn't the weather, its the terrible insulation most of our homes have and consequently poor energy efficiency levels. 

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Heating bills will be a huge concern for many, I fear (especially pensioners living alone, like my Mum) so I’m hoping for a wetter than average and fairly mild winter without too much wind, but also with a few short snowy spells and of course, some nice winter sunshine. 

• Like 3

Posted

It doesnt "worry" me, but i'd prefer a 'December 2015' all thru Winter.

Craving V cold weather is a sentiment that's long departed from my annual Winter thoughts. If i could pop off to warmer climes for longer than 2 weeks during Winter i would, but alas......

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
4 minutes ago, TheOgre said:

No sorry but cold and snow is far more interesting than mild. I am personally hoping for an autumn/winter like this:

Sunny, hot Sep, very wet Oct/Nov (to ease drought), cold, snowy Dec/Jan, springlike but wet Feb/Mar. This way if it’s dry in the summer again the drought won’t be such a problem.

It can be very wet in September and October for sure as there's little chance of snow. Maybe snow cover in October once every 15-20 years but not worth getting hopes up most years. November though different kettle of fish with a greater chance of cold and snow, had a good 4 inches at the back end of last November so for me episodic spells of deep cold and snow can arrive from November through to about mid March.... I use the word episodic as even in the best of winters we can't expect it lasting right through, this is the UK after all. After which I like a bit of milder weather but still maybe a couple of days late month and April of snow. In between times I'd like to save on the heating bill though. I wouldn't want it cold perpetually.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Bristle Si said:

It doesnt "worry" me, but i'd prefer a 'December 2015' all thru Winter.

Craving V cold weather is a sentiment that's long departed from my annual Winter thoughts. If i could pop off to warmer climes for longer than 2 weeks during Winter i would, but alas......

Mmm major severe flooding vs higher energy bills.. i'd rather not have  a Dec 15 happened again.

For lower energy bills and a mild quiet winter can't do much better than a 16-17 repeat. Last winter in the south as well.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The answer is yes.

Will it stop me wanting cold and snowy weather this winter?

No.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Frost HoIIow said:

It can be very wet in September and October for sure as there's little chance of snow. Maybe snow cover in October once every 15-20 years but not worth getting hopes up most years. November though different kettle of fish with a greater chance of cold and snow, had a good 4 inches at the back end of last November so for me episodic spells of deep cold and snow can arrive from November through to about mid March.... I use the word episodic as even in the best of winters we can't expect it lasting right through, this is the UK after all. After which I like a bit of milder weather but still maybe a couple of days late month and April of snow. In between times I'd like to save on the heating bill though. I wouldn't want it cold perpetually.

Late Nov last year brought our only appreciable snow a paltry 1 inch cover! A shocker for snow last year.. in a run of many shockers recently. 

• Like 2

Posted

I think something like the New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day of 2021/2022 would be ideal for a couple of weeks in the winter, 15-16c. 

Even with that, the heating still needed to be on as it was very damp.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
Just now, damianslaw said:

Late Nov last year brought our only appreciable snow a paltry 1 inch cover! A shocker for snow last year.. in a run of many shockers recently. 

November was the best it got here with that 4 inch fall. Dec, Jan and Feb we had about two sugar dustings and that was it through that entire 12 weeks. Absolutely dreadful. Oddly the best snow was in the Autumn, not many instances of that here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

I'm not the sort of person to worry, but I won't be too pleased if it's a cold winter with these ridiculous prices, and will nonetheless use as little heating as possible. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

I am worried about the coming winter with regards to energy bills. But still would like at least one decent cold spell.  Anger is more my emotion then fear though.  Anger at greedy energy companies who think they can hold us all to ransom.  How the hell  they are getting away with it is beyond me. Blatant robbery.....

I will not let that scum take away from my hunting for cold spells this winter.

Edited by sundog
  • Like 6