Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Winter 2022/23 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Actually it'll be more like £600 to £1000 every 3 months for you I'm sure, as the kwh price stepped up hugely end of Oct. Then there is the heating...but fingers crossed for you.

I'm only a little above average on usage. Average bill is £400 to £500 a month for 3 bed semi. 2.4 children etc, during winter.

Edited by DCee

1 hour ago, simshady said:

Liking the weather at the moment although I wish it was much, much colder. If  I get fed up with it being mild I just have to think about the awful heat we had in summer. 🙂

My electricity bills are way down on the awful July\August period, anything is better than those two dreadful months.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

My electricity usage has increased to about 160.00 per month, it's about 120.00 when the drier is not in use during Q2 and Q3 (basing this from October so post increase).

Heating is the expensive thing because while the unit cost is lower, it's on for much longer than a household good across the day. That can be as high as 300 per month though reasonable usage cuts that to closer to 200.00.

My figures are for three adults.

So yeah, 200-400 per month figures are pretty reasonable at the moment before the energy voucher.

If people are paying more than that, one should consider saving the money from spring/summer (lower gas use) to get solar panels in the future (my plan). At least then your 2024 net annual cost should be relatively low.

Posted
1 hour ago, simshady said:

Liking the weather at the moment although I wish it was much, much colder. If  I get fed up with it being mild I just have to think about the awful heat we had in summer. 🙂

The heat of last summer was lovely. We don’t get enough hot weather in the U.K. as it is, so don’t knock it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.

So Christmas Day is past, and the long tedious slog through to late January when the days become noticeably longer begins. It really doesn't help that the UK adopts this ridiculous practice of starting Christmas in autumn and seemingly dropping the Christmas spirit as soon as the 25th is past - unlike many continental countries. It's not as if the 26th-31st Dec offers anything else of interest, so why stop so early? Remember the old song was "the 12 days of Christmas", not "the 1 day of Christmas".

Models offering up nothing but endless southwesterlies this week and next. The only variety there is this week looks wet, while next week looks merely dull and perhaps drizzly.

Hoping the rest of the winter will follow 1983, and not 2020 (in more ways than one).

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
Just now, RJBingham said:

Dunno what all the moaning is about, we've had a white Christmas, and that's official 🌨️🌨️🌨️

Where, summit of Ben Nevis? 😉

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

The heat of last summer was lovely. We don’t get enough hot weather in the U.K. as it is, so don’t knock it.

And even if you don't like very warm weather, the fact that the sun shines for much of the time, and it's light until around 9pm in summer has got to make it infinitely better than the 4 weeks or so following Christmas Day.

It's never very hot for long in the UK anyway, even in the better years. IMO heat only really becomes challenging if you get 30+ by day and 20+ by night for weeks, not something that really happens in the UK (but something I have experienced elsewhere).

Edited by Summer8906

Posted

Maybe this for a bit of cheer, and hope that all is not lost?

https://digital.nmla.metoffice.gov.uk/IO_1625c0f9-cfcd-4175-8234-2b76448370c2/

The description of the first week of January 1950 sounds identical to what the models are throwing up for the first week of the coming January - and look at what happened in the second half of the month, so much so that in the SW, the month was colder than average.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

The point is purely subjective and as I like cold weather it is easy to knock 🙂 We very rarely have anything cold in the U.K. just months and months of heat and mild. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Summer8906 said:

And even if you don't like very warm weather, the fact that the sun shines for much of the time, and it's light until around 9pm in summer has got to make it infinitely better than the 4 weeks or so following Christmas Day.

It's never very hot for long in the UK anyway, even in the better years. IMO heat only really becomes challenging if you get 30+ by day and 20+ by night for weeks, not something that really happens in the UK (but something I have experienced elsewhere).

Yeah, and it only happened for a week or two during the summer of 2022 and 2018. 

Posted
51 minutes ago, simshady said:

The point is purely subjective and as I like cold weather it is easy to knock 🙂 We very rarely have anything cold in the U.K. just months and months of heat and mild. 

We still get cold days in the U.K. It doesn’t need to be below 5c to feel cold for a lot of people. Even low 10s, with a wind and lots of cloud can feel chilly, especially in March April and early May, or in October and November. 

I’m not confining this argument to getting cold weather in the winter months, but we do get lots of colder days during the year. We still get more cold weather, compared to days on end of hot weather.

Posted

Just come over to Latvia next year. It will snow at some point between mid to late December. 

Plus, they seem to do quite well during the summer months. It gets hot here between late May and mid August. They lose the heat a bit earlier though, and September is usually chilly enough to start needing the heating on even during the daytime. 

Could contain: Text, Mobile Phone, Phone, Electronics, Business Card, Paper

Posted

My nephew lives near Helsinki and whilst he has snow at the moment they are expecting it to warm up shortly with rain at the weekend. Not sure that a Scandi high would be much use to us even if it were to happen. 

Posted
15 minutes ago, TheOgre said:

How come this is called Winter 2022 and not Winter 2022/23?

Well looking at the forecast Spring is starting on 1st January 2023!

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Edited by simshady

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 hour ago, RhHh said:

Aye, wouldn't be surprised, January very rarely a winter month away from Scotland, normally mildest/least snowy of the 4 months

Posted
1 hour ago, RhHh said:

Or rather, we're regressing into late autumn. Not enough daylight or sunshine to make it in the least bit like spring!

Very like typical conditions around Halloween or Bonfire Night, I suspect, but with even less evening daylight.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Jan really is like some bastardised autumn/winter month these days. I haven't had a decent cold spell during the second half of a jan since the 80s. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, sundog said:

Jan really is like some bastardised autumn/winter month these days. I haven't had a decent cold spell during the second half of a jan since the 80s. 

I don't think it's been that bad (1996 and 2013 come to mind), but nonetheless January does seem to be the month of maximum zonality (others have suggested Nov or Dec, but I'm not convinced - though I'm not sure and haven't analysed it).

January is probably similar to August in terms of being the month of the year which least lives up to seasonal expectations.

I'm getting to the stage where I'd be happy just to see a veer in the zonal flow to a more WNW direction to see something brighter and less mild. For one thing, extreme mildness in the winter has a negative effect on the following spring, making flowering around 3 weeks early and meaning spring ends prematurely around mid May.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted

There is always live streams i suppose, but it's clear to me, that some places get feet of snow every winter, and we can't even manage anything decent for a day

That sodding Atlantic, and Gulf Stream, and the anti-clockwise direction of winds around low pressure systems, foo-bar us, away from high ground

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Nice to have a sunny day and a day that felt a bit more seasonal. even if it was still quite mild here but the wind made it feel cold. Back to the gloom tomorrow though. 

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, matt111 said:

Nice to have a sunny day and a day that felt a bit more seasonal. even if it was still quite mild here but the wind made it feel cold. Back to the gloom tomorrow though. 

Course it is. I'm coming home tomorrow 

• Like 1