Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.
2 minutes ago, Winter Hill said:

I’m just above the shadow in the nice orange bit in the winter hill area 

You'll be fine and are in a good position 👍

• Like 4

Posted
12 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

Well the shadow is still there. Looks like west and south Manchester. East of the city centre could be ok. Very good for you guys in the Peaks.

iconeu_uk1-45-48-0.png?08-16

Yes, it's because of that dreaded snow shield/dome that I'm not 'kid' excited about the prospect of heavy snow tomorrow, even though I'm supposed to be in the Amber warning zone.  Good news is the high parts of Oldham should do well, and that's only a quick scoot up Lees/Ripponden Road for me.  Saddleworth might be all white on the night.

Edited by dodge
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow

Light-moderate non sticking wet snow/ snizzle mid morning to about half an hour ago - a major bust for the MO who had the NW down as dry. Tomorrow will be a messy wintry mix for low levels during the day but hopefully some accumulation  Thurs night info Friday. 

Edited by Joe Snow
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Bloody awful and damp here now

About the ‘rain shadow’ how come rain seems to get over it ok and we get drenched but snow is a no go? 

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow
2 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Yeah it might as well have rained! 😞 Maybe a slight covering tomorrow night into Friday is our best chance to lower levels of sticking snow? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
4 minutes ago, Joe Snow said:

Light-moderate non sticking wet snow/ snizzle mid morning to about half an hour ago - a major bust for the MO who had the NW down as dry. Tomorrow will be a messy wintry mix for low levels during the day but hopefully some accumulation  Thurs night info Friday. 

It’s done for us mate. I’m not even thinking about it now. It did look very good but it’s all fallen apart unfortunately.

Some upland areas in the region will do very well out of this though.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOWWWWWWWW

Very disappointing. That’s all I’m going to say. Back to my cherry drop flavoured vodka;-)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

The only place that's marginal tomorrow is above 700 m.

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

It’s done for us mate. I’m not even thinking about it now. It did look very good but it’s all fallen apart unfortunately.

Cold air is dry so that would no doubt play a role. Having said that it can happen with rain also but on the eastern side of the Pennines moreso than in the west obviously.

Let's see how things play out first though but if I was living in Yorkshire, I'll be getting very excited at what could happen tomorrow and especially tomorrow night.

6 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Cold air is dry so that would no doubt play a role. Having said that it can happen with rain also but on the eastern side of the Pennines moreso than in the west obviously.

Let's see how things play out first though but if I was living in Yorkshire, I'll be getting very excited at what could happen tomorrow and especially tomorrow night.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
7 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

I'm going to act like a southerner now and report your post! 😆😂🤣

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
1 minute ago, Geordiesnow said:

Doubly exciting.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
34 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

Not very well but know Slawit and its hills...Thinking main thrust will be late am onwards

It’s on top a hill looking down on Slawit if you are cutting over to the 62. Be there around lunchtime.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Just started snowing again

• Like 3

Posted

To be fair I'm quite happy with things as they stand.it snowed.yes it didn't stick but the fact it snowed is pleasing .not sure why people are disappointed and saying it is over when today wasn't meant to be the day for the main event if you can call it that. Seeing it snowing at lower levels today has relaxed me for what may come.even though it didn't stick.but it snowed for a good couple of hours in the middle of the day.that to me is a good sign just to the south of Liverpool city centre by about two miles .not bad In my books

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Almost done, think the wrap around early Friday could provide a few cm and I wouldn't count against a covering early tomorrow as the front pushes in. Otherwise yes a heavily high ground favoured event.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Nothing happening though sky looks threatening 3 c out 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
3 minutes ago, Taylorthesnowman said:

To be fair I'm quite happy with things as they stand.it snowed.yes it didn't stick but the fact it snowed is pleasing .not sure why people are disappointed and saying it is over when today wasn't meant to be the day for the main event if you can call it that. Seeing it snowing at lower levels today has relaxed me for what may come.even though it didn't stick.but it snowed for a good couple of hours in the middle of the day.that to me is a good sign just to the south of Liverpool city centre by about two miles .not bad In my books

Agreed.

• Like 3

Posted

Nothing here now just wet all surfaces 😩

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, icy, snowy etc

Heavy snow, light snow, heavy snow, light snow, lots of wind...

Rinse n repeat...

You get the picture 😂

No chance of it settling unless it gets much heavier and calms off a bit here

• Like 2

Posted

I think for us NW people, a few centimetres and maybe a few inches higher up. I've seen this all my life from Atlantic lows moving NE. West Yorkshire will get battered. The only snow events at a low level here that get more than a couple of inches I don't think are from this type of system. Am gonna stick my neck on the line but here goes: Feb 96 6 inches was a true easterly and that was unusual. Jan 2010 6 inches from a Northerly depression. The 6 inches 79 am not sure . We had 4 inches in 2018 and that was from a true easterly. Other than that its only ever a couple of inches max. Mind you, could be a first!!!

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Dark Horse said:

I remember end of November 2021 a good few inches of snow but absolutely no warning from the met office. So I'm usually sceptical about anything they say. Sometimes it's just best to look out of the window lol.

Same thing for mid January 2021, went from 10C to 0C in a matter of hours and at least a few inches fell. Completely out of nowhere.

It was supposed to be sunny today, but it's been snowing since 1. That feature well north than they expected. 

• Like 3

Posted
26 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

About the ‘rain shadow’ how come rain seems to get over it ok and we get drenched but snow is a no go? 

Weird and sadly true. I'm sure there's a slight Foehn effect that kicks in when we have low pressure moving up from the south. A combination of the Pennines and Snowdonia kills our chances of a good dumping almost every time. Even when the precipitation does makes it over the hills it changes to rain, sleet and if we're really lucky - wet snow.

• Like 2