Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion

Posted
11 minutes ago, Rob 79812010 said:

I think for us NW people, a few centimetres and maybe a few inches higher up. I've seen this all my life from Atlantic lows moving NE. West Yorkshire will get battered. The only snow events at a low level here that get more than a couple of inches I don't think are from this type of system. Am gonna stick my neck on the line but here goes: Feb 96 6 inches was a true easterly and that was unusual. Jan 2010 6 inches from a Northerly depression. The 6 inches 79 am not sure . We had 4 inches in 2018 and that was from a true easterly. Other than that its only ever a couple of inches max. Mind you, could be a first!!!

Think West Lancs had a massive event in Jan 96 and certainly Liverpool in 2010. We're they westerlys hitting cold air??

• Like 4

Posted

Leaving work now it’s still snowing feels bloomin raw out, I’m surprised (am I really 🤣) to see zero accumulation. Been nice to see it falling but as others have alluded to it goes to show that weather forecasting has a long way to go. Not a lot has been correctly said this week other than it going colder. 

• Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, Frigid said:

Same thing for mid January 2021, went from 10C to 0C in a matter of hours and at least a few inches fell. Completely out of nowhere.

It was supposed to be sunny today, but it's been snowing since 1. That feature well north than they expected. 

Yeah, it's those brief but have snow showers that pop up from the Irish Sea. They're definitely a friend of Manchesters and seem to happen more now

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
10 minutes ago, Rob 79812010 said:

Think West Lancs had a massive event in Jan 96 and certainly Liverpool in 2010. We're they westerlys hitting cold air??

2010 was Ocean effect snow from the Irish Sea on steroids.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Good twitter space to listen to by Alex Deakin.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

This thread sometimes wow.

Why not analyse the event afterwards some of the comments on here are at times laughable,to state there will be no snow on low ground is utterly ridiculous,I agree the Narnia charts of the last few days are unlikely but to completely dismiss is very foolish.Yes that dreaded zone of doom is going to come into play and effect Manchester and Cheshire but other areas lower down will probably do quite well I have no doubt tomorrow will be a damp squid for my area,the pain of March 2013 still hurts and is likely to continue over the next 24hrs but let's not dismiss the excellent possibilities of other places In  the NW enjoy your snow tomorrow fellow NW members I will be watching and praying.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, cheshire snow said:

Why not analyse the event afterwards some of the comments on here are at times laughable,to state there will be no snow on low ground is utterly ridiculous,I agree the Narnia charts of the last few days are unlikely but to completely dismiss is very foolish.Yes that dreaded zone of doom is going to come into play and effect Manchester and Cheshire but other areas lower down will probably do quite well I have no doubt tomorrow will be a damp squid for my area,the pain of March 2013 still hurts and is likely to continue over the next 24hrs but let's not dismiss the excellent possibilities of other places In  the NW enjoy your snow tomorrow fellow NW members I will be watching and praying.

Well yeah, other areas will do well…but for this location it’s over. Been around the block too many times and just know. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

You're not out the game mate.

• Like 3

Posted

After a small pause it’s started again. We have settled snow and the temp is minus 1

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.
7 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Well yeah, other areas will do well…but for this location it’s over. Been around the block too many times and just know. 

Personally I think we’ll see snow till lunchtime, then rain till teatime, then back to snow for a short time. A mess of an event. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOWWWWWWWW
1 minute ago, Backtrack said:

Personally I think we’ll see snow till lunchtime, then rain till teatime, then back to snow for a short time. A mess of an event. 

Will you give me a free Uber of McDonald’s if that is the case.. might need it 🤣

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Thunder Snow said:

So it looks like I might be in the game going by the 12z I bloody hope so

Fingers crossed for you Thunder Snow.  Looking forward to reports from around the NW tomorrow and maybe Friday morning too.  

I’m sure some will be lucky, others not so.  Snow shadow will be a real pain for some, being just too warm as well.  Others (East and hilly) could hit the jackpot.  The returning wrap around of cold air could give everyone a few cm’s overnight into Friday.

Because today’s un-forecast dribs and drabs to the North of the frontal boundary have not resulted in Narnia has no impact on the next two days.  Surely it was a bonus that most of us saw falling snow?

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Maz said:

Fingers crossed for you Thunder Snow.  Looking forward to reports from around the NW tomorrow and maybe Friday morning too.  

I’m sure some will be lucky, others not so.  Snow shadow will be a real pain for some, being just too warm as well.  Others (East and hilly) could hit the jackpot.  The returning wrap around of cold air could give everyone a few cm’s overnight into Friday.

Because today’s un-forecast dribs and drabs to the North of the frontal boundary have not resulted in Narnia has no impact on the next two days.  Surely it was a bonus that most of us saw falling snow?

Here hoping be happy with a few centimetres 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.
6 minutes ago, Jackski4 said:

Will you give me a free Uber of McDonald’s if that is the case.. might need it 🤣

Working now funny enough 😂

• Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Backtrack said:

Working now funny enough 😂

Mines a triple cheese burger with large fries and mozzarella dippers thanks dude 😫🤣

• Like 1

Posted
38 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

2010 was Ocean effect snow from the Irish Sea on steroids.

🤣

10 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

You mean early February 1996, late January 1996 was an easterly

Yes it was wasn't it!👌

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

WRF 12 Z is another nudge south. 0°C isotherm line now Manchester – St Helens – Crosby.

• Like 6

Posted

Too many down hearted posts, in my mind the event hasn`t even arrived yet. Looking at the charts and percipitation forcast tomorrow morning (7am onwards) is the time thing may get interesting. Possible good few hours of slow moving snow flurries, then a further push in increased shower activity late afternoon. Take seeing falling snow today as a gift :)...It wasnt  forcast 🙂

Ghost.

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, Chris.R said:

WRF 12 Z is another nudge south. 0°C isotherm line now Manchester – St Helens – Crosby.

Still to north for runcorn😞