Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2023 chat

Posted
On 10/08/2023 at 16:24, Summer of 95 said:

Stayed sunny here all day for once and up to 26C. Can clearly see the boundary with the cloud over Wales in the distance 

Could contain:

That's at the top of Nescliffe Hill isn't it?  I went there two weeks ago.

Posted
1 hour ago, Azazel said:

Wasps are horrible little idiots.

They are aggressive and pointless and whoever said ‘just stay still and it won’t bother you’ is a liar.

The only time I’ve ever been stung was when I tried this. I stayed completely still and it stung me on the neck. I swatted it to the ground and stamped on it until it resembled nothing but a small beige stain on the concrete and I felt good about it.

Spiders on the other hand I also can’t stand (am terrified of) - especially the big house spiders - but I try my hardest not to kill or hurt them. They’re just hanging out but they’re also absolutely awful to look at. 

I think it’s the fact they sneak up on you and take you by surprise. Twice I’ve had a massive house spider just chilling on my shoulder - like why? What in its evolutionary past has compelled it to think crawling up a human is a good idea? 

I feel like if they could talk they would be much more tolerable. If instead of hiding in my duvet they could be like ‘Hey Azazel! Just wanna let you know I’m chilling in your bed and I mean you no harm, it’s totally cool’ I would be okay with it. 

and back to the weather. Pretty garbage here. Blowing a hoolie with some drizzle thrown in (I struggle to remember a weekend when this wasn’t happening).

IMG_6097.thumb.jpeg.72e076de886af237dcb494e26397532b.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
25 minutes ago, Don said:

Did it knock or let itself in?!  😲 🤣

I remember years ago getting one of those big massive ones with enormous legs out the front door with a brush.  I got it to the top of the drive and turned back towards the house. As i got to the front door I turned round and it was following me back. This time I scooped it up in a dustpan and brush and put it over the other side of the road by the bus stop.  That did the trick. 

• Like 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, Don said:

That's at the top of Nescliffe Hill isn't it?  I went there two weeks ago.

No, it's Grinshill. Although Nesscliffe is in the picture (it's the hill with trees on towards the left)

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: despite my username, I like warm weather :)
2 hours ago, Catbrainz said:

It seems despite being pretty far apart distance wise on opposite sides of Europe we seem to get similar set ups about 70% of the time or so. We both had a good May 2018,good Julys in 2014 and 2018 and good August 2022s. June 2021 here was pretty average though nothing to write home about nether great nor dreadful September wise 2018 was pretty average and 2020 was good but not outstandly so. 

May 2020 was a lovely month here but May 2021 we both had a very poor May. May 2022 was a little on the poor side but not dreadful. June 2012 was dreadful for us both but June 2017 here was average, Julys 2015 and 2017 were on the poor side but not dreadful. July 2019 was decent and we both had pretty poor July 2020s. Both had dreadful July 2023s. August 2012 was pretty meh but seemed good compared to June/July 2012, August 2016 was average and August 2021 was a poor one but in a odd way very anticyclonic gloomy which is odd for summer with a North Sea high (A synoptic that I hate seeing all year even in winter as it brings foggy anticylonic gloom without much snow) bringing cloud and chilly winds from the NE. September 2021 was very warm here but otherwise didnt stand out and Sept 2022 was on the poor side. 

Yes, similar summer weather 70% of the time is a pretty good guess. It makes sense, as very good stable summers are usually caused by high pressure that ridges all the way from the UK over Scandinavia and into NW Russia. And poor summers are often caused by high latitude blocking (around Greenland/the Arctic) which causes widespread troughing underneath ,which can encompass all of Northern Europe. 

The other 30% of the time it's mostly one of these two setups: blocking around all of Eastern Europe and Western Russia, which can bring Estonia the hottest summer weather of all setups, but usually comes with deep troughing over the UK/ Western Europe. July 2010 an 2021 are examples of this.

The other way is if you get a semi-extended Azores high / high over Western Europe only or a North sea high which is too far west, UK tends to get warm weather from that, but Estonia a cold northwessterly. For example, May 2020 or September 2021.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever Mother Nature cares to throw my way

I wonder if it has ever snowed anywhere in the UK on an August Bank Holiday Monday  .hmm🤯  GFS 12 trying to take us into the Fridge before summer is out

image.thumb.png.96e21572289e7e1ca0e6ba24851927fa.png

• Insightful 2

Posted
1 minute ago, StingJet said:

I wonder if it has ever snowed anywhere in the UK on an August Bank Holiday Monday  .hmm🤯  GFS 12 trying to take us into the Fridge before summer is out

image.thumb.png.96e21572289e7e1ca0e6ba24851927fa.png

Might as well cap it all off with a load of dross. Summer 2023. What a let down.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever Mother Nature cares to throw my way
Just now, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Might as well cap it all off with a load of dross. Summer 2023. What a let down.

Not the best bud 💦 💨 ❄️

Posted
3 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

You love a bit of 88/89 action don’t you. 

Yes. Summer 1976 iconic. Winter 88/89 iconic. Thing I liked about winter 88/89 was the constant mild temps around 12c/14c. Dec to Feb. I had my lawnmower going in January 89 due to the mild temps and unexpected grass growth. I completely understand there are winter 1995 fans which was very very cold. Or winter 1987. Winter 1979. Great winters for cold fans. No worries. 

Posted
4 hours ago, Summer of 95 said:

No, it's Grinshill. Although Nesscliffe is in the picture (it's the hill with trees on towards the left)

Wow, it looks so similar!  Will have to visit Grinshill then!

Posted
4 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Winter 88/89 iconic. Thing I liked about winter 88/89 was the constant mild temps around 12c/14c. Dec to Feb. 

The thing I liked about winter 88/89 was erm, nothing!  However, at least winter did eventually arrive in April! 😉

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Don said:

The thing I liked about winter 88/89 was erm, nothing!  However, at least winter did eventually arrive in April! 😉

Yes. And then May onwards a truly brilliant summer all the way to October ! Pity that pesky April got in the way!

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Yes. And then May onwards a truly brilliant summer all the way to October ! Pity that pesky April got in the way!

Yes, it saved 1989 from being a truly horrible year!! 🤣 🤣

Unsurprisingly, 1989 was the hottest year on record at the time.

Edited by Don

Posted
Just now, NEVES SCREAMER said:

It actually ruined what could have been a beautiful 12 months. Damned bloody April ! There's always one......

The following year was similar, but I guess from your POV, June and perhaps to a lesser extent December ruined that year?

Posted
Just now, Don said:

The following year was similar, but I guess from your POV, June and perhaps to a lesser extent December ruined that year?

Can't remember much about December 1990 but I guess it was cold ???? Which is why you remember it fondly .  But June 1990 was poor. It was sandwiched between one of the best Mays ever and a brilliant two thirds of July to autumn. I remember May 1990 because England/New Order recorded 'world in motion' in Manchester and it was 28c and beautiful sunshine.  And I am a massive fan of New Order.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
7 hours ago, Azazel said:

Wasps are horrible little idiots.

They are aggressive and pointless and whoever said ‘just stay still and it won’t bother you’ is a liar.

The only time I’ve ever been stung was when I tried this. I stayed completely still and it stung me on the neck. I swatted it to the ground and stamped on it until it resembled nothing but a small beige stain on the concrete and I felt good about it.

Spiders on the other hand I also can’t stand (am terrified of) - especially the big house spiders - but I try my hardest not to kill or hurt them. They’re just hanging out but they’re also absolutely awful to look at. 

I think it’s the fact they sneak up on you and take you by surprise. Twice I’ve had a massive house spider just chilling on my shoulder - like why? What in its evolutionary past has compelled it to think crawling up a human is a good idea? 

I feel like if they could talk they would be much more tolerable. If instead of hiding in my duvet they could be like ‘Hey Azazel! Just wanna let you know I’m chilling in your bed and I mean you no harm, it’s totally cool’ I would be okay with it. 

This post resonates 🤣🤣

If spiders are as scared of us as people say they are, I’ve no idea why they want to hang around us so much.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
6 hours ago, Alderc 2.0 said:

IMG_6097.thumb.jpeg.72e076de886af237dcb494e26397532b.jpeg

Exactly. Hard not to like bees, very chill and will leave you alone. Almost like they’ve evolved to respect humans whereas wasps have evolved to cause them as many issues as possible.

Posted
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

Exactly. Hard not to like bees, very chill and will leave you alone. Almost like they’ve evolved to respect humans whereas wasps have evolved to cause them as many issues as possible.

Had a wasp nest in our shed, early June. Beginning of nest building season apparently. Called out local pest control co. - 10 mins later, they were 'powdered' out - a few nasty flockers escaped but nest destroyed along with copious numbers of the pests.

Hate the things. Looks like i'm fighting the invisible man every time a wasp is buzzing me.

Not many about this Summer, being a nuisance, until last few days in Torquay. They were being a right nuisance at Start Bay inn, Torcross on Wednesday; first time this Summer. 

'Kin hate 'em. Got stung on thigh on St Andrews beach, Scotland when i was 12. Leaves a mark for life, i reck. The wasp that is, not Scotland🤣.

• Like 2

Posted
20 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Can't remember much about December 1990 but I guess it was cold ???? Which is why you remember it fondly .  But June 1990 was poor. It was sandwiched between one of the best Mays ever and a brilliant two thirds of July to autumn. I remember May 1990 because England/New Order recorded 'world in motion' in Manchester and it was 28c and beautiful sunshine.  And I am a massive fan of New Order.

Not overly cold overall no, with a CET of 4.1C, so colder than average but no 1981 or 2010!  However, it featured the Midlands snow storm around the 8th/9th, which I imagine you would remember (especially if you were living in the Midlands then!).  Of course winter 1990/91 was cold overall, particularly February.

New Order, yes the England World Cup 90 song was great!

Edited by Don

Posted
3 minutes ago, Don said:

Not overly cold overall no, with a CET of 4.1C, so colder than average but no 1981 or 2010!  However, it featured the Midlands snow storm around the 8th/9th, which I imagine you would remember (especially if you were living in the Midlands then!).  Of course winter 1990/91 was cold overall, particularly February.

New Order, yes the England World Cup 90 song was great!

Oh yes. I remember that snow event in December. Snow drifts and everything in Sandyfields Road down by me. Exposed to the winds. A low ran just to the south and we were on the nortern edge and loads of snow ! Remember it now. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Oh yes. I remember that snow event in December. Snow drifts and everything in Sandyfields Road down by me. Exposed to the winds. A low ran just to the south and we were on the nortern edge and loads of snow ! Remember it now. 

Living in the south, I remember watching the news reports and being rather jealous!  We did get a bit of snow where I was, but not enough to get excited about!

Posted
16 minutes ago, Bristle Si said:

Had a wasp nest in our shed, early June. Beginning of nest building season apparently. Called out local pest control co. - 10 mins later, they were 'powdered' out - a few nasty flockers escaped but nest destroyed along with copious numbers of the pests.

Hate the things. Looks like i'm fighting the invisible man every time a wasp is buzzing me.

Not many about this Summer, being a nuisance, until last few days in Torquay. They were being a right nuisance at Start Bay inn, Torcross on Wednesday; first time this Summer. 

'Kin hate 'em. Got stung on thigh on St Andrews beach, Scotland when i was 12. Leaves a mark for life, i reck. The wasp that is, not Scotland🤣.

Not seen any flying ants this year  presume they are still about unless they have succumbed to hypothermia!

Posted
Just now, Don said:

Living in the south, I remember watching the news reports and being rather jealous!  We did get a bit of snow where I was, but not enough to get excited about!

We always cop it in the Midlands. If the winter low is southerly tracked enough on the jet stream we get snow. It crosses west to east with a chilly air mass to the north and pulls in the cold on a NE wind behind it . The mild air never makes it far enough north and where the two air masses intertwine snow is the outcome . Go 50 miles further south and it's just raining around cotswolds etc !