Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Rarely talked about weather events

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

I remember nothing about 2016 for some reason. The June storms and another storm in September are the only events that stand out. A boring year for weather in my opinion.

A weird one. I remember a lot about the years weather but not because there was much of note. Missed any June storms here so the month wasn’t that wet overall, so what sticks out more were the unusually strong gales in Feb, standout hot day in mid July, September thunderstorms and exceedingly wet mid November period.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
3 minutes ago, MP-R said:

A weird one. I remember a lot about the years weather but not because there was much of note. Missed any June storms here so the month wasn’t that wet overall, so what sticks out more were the unusually strong gales in Feb, standout hot day in mid July, September thunderstorms and exceedingly wet mid November period.

I think 2016, or around then, there was an all night thunderstorm in October, started about 1:00 AM, on the se coast, think it last till about 12/1 pm the next day. That was quite interesting down here

Posted
30 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

I think 2016, or around then, there was an all night thunderstorm in October, started about 1:00 AM, on the se coast, think it last till about 12/1 pm the next day. That was quite interesting down here

Found it was November 2014

remembered it happened but not exactly when.

Posted
8 hours ago, Scorcher said:

Yes it was a very interesting period of weather and felt even warmer than it might have done as it had been quite cold a week or two before.

I recall the 8th being very breezy here with the sunshine.

Got to say I don't remember it at all.

Posted
43 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Got to say I don't remember it at all.

I guess it fits the subject of this thread perfectly then- it's certainly not an event I've heard discussed much. Not truly exceptional but memorable for me on the back of what came before it.

• Like 1

Posted

May 14th/15th 1985 thunderstorms

Recall thunder rumbling in the evening but it was at night I remember waking up and seeing the lightning flash away during the night. I recall how dark the sky was to my NW, which might seem a daft comment because it was night! What I'm meaning was the lack of light pollution. The storm had blocked the light pollution so it made the sky darker apart from the lightning

Could contain: Newspaper, TextCould contain: Text, NewspaperCould contain: Newspaper, Text, Architecture, BuildingCould contain: Text, Newspaper Could contain: Chart, Diagram, Plan, Plot, Text, Page, Newspaper  Could contain: Text, Newspaper, Page

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

They was a day in early October 2014 that saw 5 thunderstorms in 1 day when I was in Southampton with one of these occurring at night. It was an interesting day of weather to say the least with some great cloudscapes and the overnight thunderstorm lasted a while as well.

I think other areas that week got hit by a fair few thunderstorms but it's a week that doesn't get mentioned much.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

Overnight 12th into the 13th October 2018.  An exceptionally warm October night, at least here in Exeter.  It was quite rainy but temperatures remained around 18°C all night.  I've never experienced such a tropical feeling night.  Normally 18°C overnight is reversed for summer but to have heavy rain and 18°C overnight in October was quite something.  Don't hear it spoken about much.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

May 14th/15th 1985 thunderstorms

Recall thunder rumbling in the evening but it was at night I remember waking up and seeing the lightning flash away during the night. I recall how dark the sky was to my NW, which might seem a daft comment because it was night! What I'm meaning was the lack of light pollution. The storm had blocked the light pollution so it made the sky darker apart from the lightning

Could contain: Newspaper, TextCould contain: Text, NewspaperCould contain: Newspaper, Text, Architecture, BuildingCould contain: Text, Newspaper Could contain: Chart, Diagram, Plan, Plot, Text, Page, Newspaper  Could contain: Text, Newspaper, Page

Think I remember that one, I was in ashdown forest, camping with the school, and we had an all nighter. When I got back home, I think it was the next day, it was all over the news about what the storms did up north.

• Like 2

Posted
5 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Interesting, thanks (again!) Weather-history. I recall being caught in a horrendous thunderstorm near Crawley in W Sussex whilst travelling to a football tournament at a local leisure centre, and eventually arriving at the centre to find the all-weather pitch flooded, the roof of the centre caved in (fortunately without casualties) and the tournament unsurprisingly called off. It was definitely a Wednesday afternoon in May 1985 and I think it could well have been Wednesday 15th May, although a lot further south than the areas mentioned in your newspaper reports and presumably an afternoon storm imported from France or the Bay of Biscay.   

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter
On 20/04/2023 at 09:15, Earthshine said:

Overnight 12th into the 13th October 2018.  An exceptionally warm October night, at least here in Exeter.  It was quite rainy but temperatures remained around 18°C all night.  I've never experienced such a tropical feeling night.  Normally 18°C overnight is reversed for summer but to have heavy rain and 18°C overnight in October was quite something.  Don't hear it spoken about much.

October 2018 was a very interesting month I don't hear discussed much, possibly my favourite in my lifetime (though I did enjoy 2022 and most of 2011)

Started dry, then a very warm day on the 10th from what I'm guessing was a heat pump low, followed by an almighty three day deluge with some of the strongest gusts Plymouth has recorded in October. Following this very settled and sunny with some lovely mid-late October warmth, remember sunbathing in a park on a trip to London on the 20th. Then the high realigned and the month ended with a northerly with crystal clear skies, we had deep frost on the 30th, very early in the season. Parts of the UK got snow around the 27th I think. Overall a great mix of weather, far sunnier and drier than average with temps a touch below average due to the very cold end.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
1 hour ago, plymsunshine said:

October 2018 was a very interesting month I don't hear discussed much, possibly my favourite in my lifetime (though I did enjoy 2022 and most of 2011)

Started dry, then a very warm day on the 10th from what I'm guessing was a heat pump low, followed by an almighty three day deluge with some of the strongest gusts Plymouth has recorded in October. Following this very settled and sunny with some lovely mid-late October warmth, remember sunbathing in a park on a trip to London on the 20th. Then the high realigned and the month ended with a northerly with crystal clear skies, we had deep frost on the 30th, very early in the season. Parts of the UK got snow around the 27th I think. Overall a great mix of weather, far sunnier and drier than average with temps a touch below average due to the very cold end.

Oh yes that end was bitter!  I think Exeter Airport recorded -4°C - very impressive for the end of October.  A nice variety of weather, almost spring like in terms of the wild swings.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Posted
On 24/04/2023 at 22:50, plymsunshine said:

Yes a very cold frosty end to the month. I was in Aviemore and the frost was quite severe and it formed very early as soon as the sun went down. Maxima around 4-5 degrees. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
Posted

On Sunday 30th July 1978, we were camping near Bovington in Dorset. We attended the Army Display that morning but the rest of the day was abandoned after a huge storm broke out at midday in the locality. Monday 31st July (45 years ago today) dawned very wet and the rain continued unabated throughout the day and into the following night. Stats indicated that up to 4ins (100mm) of rain fell in parts of Dorset in this period, but did not affect any other parts of the country and it was presumably caused by a slow moving weather front and depression moving up from France and becoming stationary over the area. 1st August was dry and sunny but on 2nd August, thunderstorms dumped another 1.5ins (40mm) of rain on Bournemouth as we headed home and the journey out of Dorset was a nightmare.  

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
4 hours ago, Weather-history said:

10th/11th August 1986 thunderstorms in the south

image.thumb.png.0bd23232661378861466cc079bc65430.pngimage.thumb.png.b0a1a036b6abf88299de065deeeff9b1.png       image.thumb.png.bf692c2503c2dcdd992a2e642c4abd9f.png      image.thumb.png.753928ca1834a2d38201a2cfd83c7af0.png     

image.thumb.png.c3d227e5c95246f39bf5dd7a2296e4c5.png image.thumb.png.ca1dbf2a3f15296da1f7fd954e64ff14.png    image.thumb.png.e0b470b5ba3c98b294278a53c9d3ecbf.png

image.thumb.png.c1b9d1ec7f1bf14032b64fd9d530e3d6.png

I posted yesterday a thread on August 1986. This fits in nicely in just how poor a month it was.