Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - June 2023

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
4 minutes ago, ChezWeather said:

Eastern areas will always be more favoured for supercells, even though they are still very rare on the whole

Indeed, though supercells have affected areas north and west of here before. Just never here specifically. 

There was a supercell over the Yorkshire Dales in July 2015 that spat out very frequent lightning, it was a great nighttime display. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.
4 minutes ago, cheese said:

We don’t get supercell storms here, ever really. I remember a supercell affecting York a few years ago and a few supercells have affected the Dales in the past decade, but we never get them here. Just rotten luck (or good luck if you hate storms).

We did have a thunderstorm in May 2016 that delivered hail the size of 10 pence coins though - my local Sainsbury’s supermarket had its roof cave in. This was in Colton. 

That storm caused a power cut too.

Posted
25 minutes ago, Metwatch said:

Another shelf by the looks of things coming into the Coventry webcam view. I'm not far from Nuneaton could try to take a photo. 

Could contain:

Absoletely torrential rain heading up into South Warwickshire now , more thunder forecast for 9PM in Leamington Spa

Edited by Phildb2
  • Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, cheese said:

We don’t get supercell storms here, ever really. I remember a supercell affecting York a few years ago and a few supercells have affected the Dales in the past decade, but we never get them here. Just rotten luck (or good luck if you hate storms).

We did have a thunderstorm in May 2016 that delivered hail the size of 10 pence coins though - my local Sainsbury’s supermarket had its roof cave in. This was in Colton. 

Do ya remember that storm that moved just west of leeds, battering likes of stoke, burnley then into the dales with exceptional rates of lightning a few years ago? (Between about 6-10pm) Went North west of Skipton to chase it but was too late just catching its back edge but I did see damage to crops and farm buildings from large hail. Closest I've been to a severe storm recent years. Could that be the 2016 one talked about?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

Do ya remember that storm that moved just west of leeds, battering likes of stoke, burnley then into the dales with exceptional rates of lightning a few years ago? (Between about 6-10pm) Went North west of Skipton to chase it but was too late just catching its back edge but I did see damage to crops and farm buildings from large hail. Closest I've been to a severe storm recent years. Could that be the 2016 one talked about?

I think that’s the 1st July 2015 one? That was beastly over the Dales. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
Just now, cheese said:

I think that’s the 1st July 2015 one? 

It could be but most of the lightening was out west. From leeds road otley looking west towards Ilkley was constant sheet lightning and rumbles of thunder with little to the east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms☃⛈

Afternoon Storms & Downpours - Northamptonshire, UK - 18 June 2023

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

just noticed right now that exactly 5 years ago, this amazing storm hit my location at night. This is what should've been today except during the daytime but all we got was sodding rain

Edited by Atmogenic
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

I remember the supercell that hit the north east I think in 2012. Caused absolute carnage with flooding and houses being set on fire with lightning.  Was one of the most amazing yet destructive storms I have ever witnessed.  Nothing else since had compared in terms of destruction.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.
30 minutes ago, Phildb2 said:

Absoletely torrential rain heading up into South Warwickshire now , more thunder forecast for 9PM in Leamington Spa

Don't think there's any energy left for thunderstorms today.

Edited by Snowshine
  • Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Snowshine said:

Probably  but just had the heaviest rain of the day  , 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Snowshine said:

Looking at charts dosn't look enough energy available next week for a noteworthy storm either. 

Posted

Some good pics from some of you that managed a storm or several,rather envious as there wasnt nothing down here,apart from a few in parts of cornwall and devon. Hopefully our turn will come for those that have had nothing at some point

Posted

Had a cracking thunderstorm earlier in the end. Some proper good lightning and loud rumbles of thunder for a good hour. The rain was horrific though and has flooded everywhere. A car is literally floating under a railway bridge at the end of my road. A Father’s Day meal at Wrexham football club had to be evacuated as the rain came through the roof and the roof collapsed in the upstairs restaurant. My road is also flooded. The rain didn’t half come down. Couple of videos as the storm was approaching from the south. 

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

I want this rain to hurry up and lift out, there's a more energy behind it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

In SE Sheffield a cell arrived about 5:30PM, with moderate steady rain at first and regular thunder; then it went nuts just before 6PM with intense rainfall (200mm/hr instantaneous rainfall rates), and near white out conditions with swathes of rain blowing on the wind, and areas of water pooling on the ground outside. Lightning was often visible despite seeming to be mostly intra-cloud. This cell saw the rain rate start to subside only to get a new wind and get even heavier with brief hail stones. Then it lightened off and there was still moderate rain with intermittent visible lightning and louder sounding thunder but not as often. Then it died out into light rain for a while. This was the second overhead storm of the year and second on 18th June.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Back in Coventry now, the heavens have opened. Incredibly heavy rain. Skies did look quite ominous a bit before it came.

Could contain:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist
35 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

It could be but most of the lightening was out west. From leeds road otley looking west towards Ilkley was constant sheet lightning and rumbles of thunder with little to the east.

This is the same storm I think

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

Interesting this last week or so… sure there have been disappointments (myself included today, and 2 days last weekend!), but countywide generally there have been a good moment of storms, some of which locally have been pretty potent… not bad for halfway through June! Bit curious last time we had a run like this, for this long, at this time of year… I remember a late May early June a little bit similar, maybe a little over 15 years ago. But the storms were very short in nature, brief showers really. But booming thunder, good lightning, hail and rainbows! Maybe someone remembers.. 

Edited by SilverWolf
Spelling, as ever!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Got multiple camera views of outside. Once I've edited them, they could be either very very good or very bad. Anyway, here's a sneak peak from my phone as darkness approaches.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hurricanes, and my favourite tornadoes

nice line of storms spanning from northern spain to the french border with belguim , just a little south

Edited by Thunders
  • Like 1