Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2007 - a dry season.

Addicks Fan 1981

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Just take whatever is offered.

After the wettest summer at the time since 1912 and the coolest summer since 1998 it was lovely in 2007 to see a dry autumn with more fogs than in recent autumn's.  

September started off pretty warm and trying to brush aside the very wet summer we had, the second half was a bit cooler and some wet days thrown in but not really bringing in the worst of anything, it was the coolest September we had at the time since 2001 although it felt pretty nice in the sunshine.   

October too was very nice, not really bringing the worst of anything, not totally dry though, but drier than average and there seemed to be more fog than in recent October's at the time.  It was the driest October since 1985 with near average temperatures and like September felt pretty nice in the sunshine.   

November gave a very warm start which I think temperatures were between 17-22 very early on, but it got progressively cooler to the point that I think there was a snow event later on in the month, although it didn't last for very long.  It was very nice to see a pleasant kind of autumn after a summer that was to be remembered albeit for the wrong reasons.  

Where I was in bucks at the time the autumn was nice enough to go for walks and to enjoy the picturesque autumn scenes.    It was also probably one of the driest of autumn's we had in ages and one of the driest on record.    

Wonder what your perceptions were of this season?

Edited by Addicks Fan 1981

Posted

September and October that year were very pleasant. Dry, sunny and October was actually really pleasantly mild by day. Both months had well below average rainfall and above average sunshine. Perfect autumn weather for me especially with the colder nights. November was quite mild as well but was a wetter and duller than the two previous months. November here just felt like a bog standard November.  

Posted

It was a very nice autumn @Harry233and a treat compared to the appalling infamous summer we had with biblical flooding, mind you august wasnt too bad but it was too little and too late.   Was nice to see a quiet season without too much going on.    

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

I remember September and October being mostly benign with some nice crisp sunny days and not much in the way of rain.  Quite seasonal temperatures as well (which was OK actually despite my preference for heat).

November was a bit more active.  I remember a notable cold front on the 8th which brought hail, and there was sleet on the 18th, I think some areas had some snow, but not notable amounts.

Not the most interesting season from a dramatic/extreme weather pont of view, but generally pleasant.

Posted
19 hours ago, SummerShower said:

I remember September and October being mostly benign with some nice crisp sunny days and not much in the way of rain.  Quite seasonal temperatures as well (which was OK actually despite my preference for heat).

November was a bit more active.  I remember a notable cold front on the 8th which brought hail, and there was sleet on the 18th, I think some areas had some snow, but not notable amounts.

Not the most interesting season from a dramatic/extreme weather pont of view, but generally pleasant.

Pop records that came out that autumn were sugababes with about you now, James blunt with 1973, mcfly with love never dies, led zeppelin with stairway to heaven and many others.   

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
On 14/10/2023 at 16:12, Addicks Fan 1981 said:

Pop records that came out that autumn were sugababes with about you now, James blunt with 1973, mcfly with love never dies, led zeppelin with stairway to heaven and many others.   

Led Zeppelin? What was the story behind that?

Posted

2007 was a very odd year rainfall-wise. It had close to average rainfall here, but nearly half of the total fell in the 6 week period of 12th June - 27th July (over 320mm) causing the well-known floods in this area.

After that period was remarkably dry and that included the Autumn. Just 31 days had above 1mm of rain here from 28th July - 31st December. There were also two long spells with little or no rain at all: the first was 21st August - 16th September (27 days) which saw no rain at all and the second, 10th October - 17th November, saw just 8.6mm.

It was a very anticyclonic Autumn. During the whole three months the air pressure didn't drop below 993.1hPa for us and no single day had a gale force gust. The max was 36mph.

Autumn 2019 was perhaps the opposite. It was the wettest year on record here and over half of it fell in Autumn.

Edited by reef
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

I remember this season for its benign nature, and October in particular was unseasonably dry. If I remember right there were just three widely-spaced short periods with rain, each lasting just two days or so, throughout October. One of them I remember was somewhat unexpected, some kind of upper cold pool within an anticyclone, probably around the 9th or 10th. One of the others was during the final weekend when "Dark Sunday" was typically gloomy and drizzly.

The very end of the month was unseasonably mild and dry (though rather cloudy): I distinctly remember drinking outside at a pub on the 31st during the evening.

Sunshine totals were not great but even still it was a relief to see such a benign autumn after the poor early/mid summer.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
9 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

I remember this season for its benign nature, and October in particular was unseasonably dry. If I remember right there were just three widely-spaced short periods with rain, each lasting just two days or so, throughout October. One of them I remember was somewhat unexpected, some kind of upper cold pool within an anticyclone, probably around the 9th or 10th. One of the others was during the final weekend when "Dark Sunday" was typically gloomy and drizzly.

The very end of the month was unseasonably mild and dry (though rather cloudy): I distinctly remember drinking outside at a pub on the 31st during the evening.

Sunshine totals were not great but even still it was a relief to see such a benign autumn after the poor early/mid summer.

I seem to remember the 3 rain days you describe as the 9th and 16th, both Tuesdays, and then Sunday 28th at the end of October as you say.  Dry otherwise though

I seem to recall a vigorous cold front brining hail on 8th November and a bit of snow on the 18th too

Posted
16 minutes ago, SummerShower said:

I seem to remember the 3 rain days you describe as the 9th and 16th, both Tuesdays, and then Sunday 28th at the end of October as you say.  Dry otherwise though

I seem to recall a vigorous cold front brining hail on 8th November and a bit of snow on the 18th too

Yes, the upper low occasion was a Tuesday, I think I remember that. Probably the 9th. I can't specifically remember the third occasion around the 16th, though.

As for November I recall it starting in the same benign way as Oct, but rather dull, before an active low came in from an unusual direction (E or SE I think?) around mid month and produced a lot of rain. It was quite similar to an event that occurred around the same time in 2003. After that it was stormy Atlantic conditions to end the month which persisted into December, bringing in another mild winter.

In fact if I remember right November 2003 and 2007 were very similar overall. A mild, cloudy benign first half, then very wet (but from an unusual direction) mid-month, then Atlantic-driven wet and windy conditions to end the month.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
49 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

Yes, the upper low occasion was a Tuesday, I think I remember that. Probably the 9th. I can't specifically remember the third occasion around the 16th, though.

As for November I recall it starting in the same benign way as Oct, but rather dull, before an active low came in from an unusual direction (E or SE I think?) around mid month and produced a lot of rain. It was quite similar to an event that occurred around the same time in 2003. After that it was stormy Atlantic conditions to end the month which persisted into December, bringing in another mild winter.

In fact if I remember right November 2003 and 2007 were very similar overall. A mild, cloudy benign first half, then very wet (but from an unusual direction) mid-month, then Atlantic-driven wet and windy conditions to end the month.

The 16th was an odd one, but essentially a very dynamic front between the warm air that had characterised the days before, and much cooler air that followed. Had 29.6mm of rain here that day, making it the 5th wettest day of the year. Other than that, 14mm on the 01st, 03.3mm on the 09th and 11.9mm on the 28th/29th.

• Like 1